Grammar Schools

Guest Lathropes

Guest Lathropes

We are discussing moving to Melbourne and I am trying to get as much information on the school/college/university system as I can at the moment. My youngest son is currently attending Year 7 at a Grammar School in the UK. Are there equivalent in Melbourne that aren't fee paying? Tried searching but seem to come up with private schools. Secondly my daughter and her boyfriend want to do vocational studies in Beauty Therapy and Car Mechanics. Is that TAFE I need to be looking at and what sort of fees would we need to be looking at. And lastly my son is about to commence University this October to study BA Hons in Fashion. He qualifies in the UK for a Student Loan. I have read other postings and can see this is not the case in Australia but what are International Fees and are they in addition to the Course Fees and is any of it covered by financial assistance? Lots of questions I know but we have spent many hours on various websites and are very confused!!!! Any help very much appreciated. :nah:

There isn't a grammer school system in Aus, I think the beauty therapy and car mechanics courses are at TAFE but not 100% on that and don't know if they have student loans. Try emailing a couple of the universities here.

Ali

Guest Lathropes

Thank you, thats saved us keep looking. My daughter's boyfriend will need to come on a Student Visa. Does anyone know if he can apply for permanent residency after that if he wants to? Also (I know I have a hundred questions) but an ENS Visa - does anyone know what benefits this gives us over a temporary visa apart from permanent residency? For example free schooling, healthcare, student loans perhaps??? Any info much appreciated. Oh also, my very last question of the evening, has anyone used an agency to handle visas and are they useful as there seems to be so much to find out!!

We are discussing moving to Melbourne and I am trying to get as much information on the school/college/university system as I can at the moment. My youngest son is currently attending Year 7 at a Grammar School in the UK. Are there equivalent in Melbourne that aren't fee paying? Tried searching but seem to come up with private schools. Secondly my daughter and her boyfriend want to do vocational studies in Beauty Therapy and Car Mechanics. Is that TAFE I need to be looking at and what sort of fees would we need to be looking at. And lastly my son is about to commence University this October to study BA Hons in Fashion. He qualifies in the UK for a Student Loan. I have read other postings and can see this is not the case in Australia but what are International Fees and are they in addition to the Course Fees and is any of it covered by financial assistance? Lots of questions I know but we have spent many hours on various websites and are very confused!!!! Any help very much appreciated. :nah:

Hi

It depends what visa you are coming on as to what fees you pay at uni. If you come on a PR visa you will pay the uni course fees that citizens pay. However, you have to pay them up front, with no discount. As a citizen you can defer the fees and pay them later - like paying back a student loan or you can pay them up front with a discount. If you are here on a temp visa then you will have to pay the full international student rates which can be MASSIVE. You need to check this out before you come I think. The school year runs from January to January so would your son wait until then to start at Uni? Does he know that he can get a place on the course of his choice over here.

You might find this website useful: The Going to Uni Homepage

Good luck with the move

Daphne

Guest thekeg95

I'd go the ENS if you can as it will make the schooling easier

The boyfriend can get in on skilled when he has the Aussie trade ticket from the mechanics course and no need to do TRA

STEVE

If you look for Grammar schools you will find fee paying public and grammar schools, plus the Catholic school system, effectively fee paying but much lower. Otherwise all state high schools with many equivalent in outcomes to grammar schools. A lot, if not everything, depends upon location.....

Beauty at TAFE fine, fees, but quite low for Australians and permanent residents while university for locals vary but getting toward AUD5000 pa on avge, plus full fee paying....

Son looking at fashion at university best to look at RMIT University and daughters oh re. automotive would need to look at TAFE or private VET provider on full international fees, and automotive could apply for residency after study.

Feel free to ask any questions but maybe best to find me through site below as I do not visit here every day.

PS I am originally from Melbourne but live in Budapest :)

Cheers Andrew

Guest Lathropes

Thank you everyone for all the info. We have emailed some TAFE colleges and I am due a Prospectus from RMIT so we are off to a good start. We are struggling a little with the Motor Mechanics Course as we emailed one that was listed on CRICOS but wasn't available to my daughter's boyfriend as an International Student. But we shall keep going!!! If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful (Melbourne area).

Just one question on Visa entitlements, I assume as a PR the kids would qualify to offset their TAFE/Uni study fees and pay later when they are working (HEC)?? I've searched around and got snippets of information and am trying to piece it all together or do we need to wait until we are citizens in two years? Also, as a PR would my 12 year old be able to attend a state school free of charge or do we still have to pay his fees.

On a positive note we are hoping to put the house on the market soon and hope to be in Australia by the end of the year...... here's hoping anyway.:cute:

One very last question for the evening, does anyone know how long the commute (train probably) from Werribee to City Centre, Melbourne. Just been looking at that area. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks again.

Denise

Guest thekeg95

Hi Denise

The boyfriend should look at www.Kangan.edu.au this is the trade school for apprentices in melbourne. To be trade qualified he will need to do cert 3.

I'm not 100% on the hecs as a pr but i would think so.

The 12 y/o state school fee will be covered.

The train will range from 20 to 30 min for the trip

regards

STEVE

Just one question on Visa entitlements, I assume as a PR the kids would qualify to offset their TAFE/Uni study fees and pay later when they are working (HEC)?? I've searched around and got snippets of information and am trying to piece it all together or do we need to wait until we are citizens in two years? Also, as a PR would my 12 year old be able to attend a state school free of charge or do we still have to pay his fees.

Hi Denise

No, as a PR you will not be able to do this. This option is only available for citizens. You will have to pay the fees upfront with no discount (that's not the same is international fees though - no discount on the domestic fees). As a citizen you are able to defer payment or pay upfront with a discount.

Also, bear in mind that whislt the rule is 2 years residency at the moment to apply for citizenship, it is being changed at the moment and you may find you need up to 4 years residency to qualify for citizenship.

Yes, your 12 year old would qualify for "free" state schooling if he is a PR. However, there are some fees that everyone pays - usually a couple of hundred dollars at the beginning of each year.

Hope that helps

Daphne

Archived