Benefits

k8bug79

HI,

Before I start I know this type of topic can become heated, so I want to make it clear that I am not moving to OZ to claim benefits nor do I want to live on Benefits.

However we are fortunate that, as my husband is an Australian citizen and, as we are married with dependant children, there is a a good chance I will be issued a permanant spouses visa as opposed to the temporary visa,should it become necessary we could claim assitance where as most migrants can't.

Like I said I have no intention of doing this but I only have to look at posts of people who have moved over with pots of cash behind them, a list of qualifications as long as your arm etc and still not finding work, to know that it doesn't always happen the way we would like. Ideally one of us will go over with a job offer but again we are realistic that this may not happen.

Husband is a chef so we are reasonable confident of him picking up work. He has always just walked the streets (ahem) and come back with some work at the end of the day when he has needed it, even if its badly paid and temporary it's money.

.........However, we have 3 young children and I think it would be foolish to not think of every possibility. So my question is what benefits are there available and how do they compare to the UK system? Naturally I wouldn't expect to live a life of luxury but is it the same idea, job seekers/ income support. Help with rent and then the usual child tax credits etc. I know about the childcare rebate system and their child tax credit system (I know its not called that but can't think what it is called now......family assitance????) I just want to know how the other bits work.

Fingers crossed I will never have need to use them

Thanks

Guest ragdoll annie

If you will be renting you will get Rent Assistance if you qualify for more than the base rate of Fam Assis A.

HI,

Before I start I know this type of topic can become heated, so I want to make it clear that I am not moving to OZ to claim benefits nor do I want to live on Benefits.

However we are fortunate that, as my husband is an Australian citizen and, as we are married with dependant children, there is a a good chance I will be issued a permanant spouses visa as opposed to the temporary visa,should it become necessary we could claim assitance where as most migrants can't.

Like I said I have no intention of doing this but I only have to look at posts of people who have moved over with pots of cash behind them, a list of qualifications as long as your arm etc and still not finding work, to know that it doesn't always happen the way we would like. Ideally one of us will go over with a job offer but again we are realistic that this may not happen.

Husband is a chef so we are reasonable confident of him picking up work. He has always just walked the streets (ahem) and come back with some work at the end of the day when he has needed it, even if its badly paid and temporary it's money.

.........However, we have 3 young children and I think it would be foolish to not think of every possibility. So my question is what benefits are there available and how do they compare to the UK system? Naturally I wouldn't expect to live a life of luxury but is it the same idea, job seekers/ income support. Help with rent and then the usual child tax credits etc. I know about the childcare rebate system and their child tax credit system (I know its not called that but can't think what it is called now......family assitance????) I just want to know how the other bits work.

Fingers crossed I will never have need to use them

Thanks

Hi don't apologise you have to be preprared for everything when embarking on coming here, you will be able to get family assistance, you get that if you are working or not, if you rent you get a little towards rent, all benefits are means tested against your earnings, centrelink website should be able to help, if you dont have a job you can get umemployment benefit, i think it works out about 200 dollars a fortnight, there is a waiting period of two years for this benefit, not sure about your hubby though, could be restrictions on him as well if he has been out of the country for an extended period, why dont you give centrelink a ring they should be able to help more.

Even on a reasonably high salary there are significant tax benefits for families. Possible rent supplement, part A and part B allowances (see centrelink), tax breaks on education stuff for your kids like laptops. On a low income you may be eligible for a health care card which gives you cheap public transport, reductions on utilities (electricity, water, land rates etc.) and a few other things to make life easier. You may also get a first home owners grant (up to $30,000 approx) as you will probably be a first time buyer in Australia. And the Baby Bonus is a good addition to the family ($5,000) should you plan for number four ;) With three kids you also get the 'large family' supplement.

Of course you pay it all back by the bucket load when you get a job and pay top tax rate so don't feel guilty.

Thanks very much tried to check out centre link but website it down at the mo but will give it a go in a bit.

Number 4 is out of the question hubby already had the snip but for $5000 I may send him for a reversal lol!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi don't apologise you have to be preprared for everything when embarking on coming here, you will be able to get family assistance, you get that if you are working or not, if you rent you get a little towards rent, all benefits are means tested against your earnings, centrelink website should be able to help, if you dont have a job you can get umemployment benefit, i think it works out about 200 dollars a fortnight, there is a waiting period of two years for this benefit, not sure about your hubby though, could be restrictions on him as well if he has been out of the country for an extended period, why dont you give centrelink a ring they should be able to help more.

Chances are the OP will be on a subclass 100 visa and therefore exempt from the two year waiting period. Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100)

P.S. I absolutely intend to claim every benefit that my family is entitled to, whilst I'm looking for work! :o)

I don't blame you, after all when you are working you will be paying it back. I don't want to sound bad but it certainly makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that we have this safety net that others don't. Partcuarly as we won't be coming with masses of money behind us

Guest guest17520

Hi, I have been on a 457 visa for nearly 3 years and will hopefully have my PR very soon. Does anyone know if I will be entitled to benefits straight away or will I have a waiting period? We are a single income family with a 2 and a half year old. I think I have read somewhere that I wouldn't have to wait but not too sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I have been on a 457 visa for nearly 3 years and will hopefully have my PR very soon. Does anyone know if I will be entitled to benefits straight away or will I have a waiting period? We are a single income family with a 2 and a half year old. I think I have read somewhere that I wouldn't have to wait but not too sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know the benefits you recieve for children ie family assitance you get straight away but I would have thought that was the same with your current visa. I am not very good with visas as mine is quite straight forward as I am a spouse. What type o visa do you go onto after 457?

Guest guest17520
I know the benefits you recieve for children ie family assitance you get straight away but I would have thought that was the same with your current visa. I am not very good with visas as mine is quite straight forward as I am a spouse. What type o visa do you go onto after 457?

Hi, you need to be a permanent resident before you can start applying for Centrelink benefits, or at least I hope that's the case...:unsure:\\

After my 457 I will be on an ENS 856 which is a permanent residence visa.

I think for a PR every benefit has a 2 year waiting period except those benefits related to children....so can immediately get FTB A and B...child care rebate and child care benefit, maybe rent assistance as tied in with FTB....maybe immunization payment and baby bonus....

• 1 month later...

Archived