What can you tell me about primary schools?

Guest leedschick

Guest leedschick

Hi evryone!

Just waiting to hear back from teachingaustralia to see if my qualifications will allow me to teach out in Australia. we have had aussie teachers doing supply in my school at the mo so i've been quizzing them about schools in oz.

i'd be really interested to know what people think about the schools out there, either teachers or parents ( or kids if you're on this thread!)

Hi,

My two little darlings (12 & 7), love school here. The school they attend seems more relaxed than the one in the UK. They seem to enjoy that fact that it's not as regimented, last week my hubby took them to school as he was off and came home amazed that there was no bell, no standing still and having to stand in line before marching into the classroom.

I think in the Uk I certainly got into the mode of measuring how well they were doing by what they were achieving - According to Tom (7), he hasn't done a mental maths test yet - in the uk they did this one a week, the teacher gave out 'sums' and they wrote down the answers, however, when I'm chatting to Tom it's evident that he is doing mental maths, just in different way. I'm more relaxed about their education too - their obviously learning and enjoying what they do. They don't get much (if any homework) whereas in the UK Tom (yr 2) brought home at least 3 pieces every weekend maths & English. All pupils (at our school) are registered on mathletics where you do maths on the computer but are competing against children all over the world.

They have a teacher there whose been teaching about 30 years, she says that she looks for different opportunities e.g. if a fire-engine came to the school she would use that opportunity to teach about safety, what firemen did, how do you spell the words etc., the lesson that was scheduled would still be there to be done later.

Science is different than their old primary school where both Tom and Alex say the teacher did the experiment and you watched and wrote it up, here they've done loads of fun stuff in science which they've re-created at home for mum and dads benefit.

They both learn a language which at their school is Japanese. At their last school only Alex did French in her last year

I've waffled a bit - but so far we and more importantly the kids seem happy with their school. Oh ... they do seem to ask for lots of money for this and that .... some things are the same the world over I guess lol !

Ali

Guest leedschick

from other posts i've definitely got that impression- that schools are a lot more relaxed. not a bad thing as far as i'm concerned. personally i think the amount of testing we put our kids through in this country is ridiculous.

i'm obviously interested not just from a teaching point of view but because my daughter will be almost ready to start school by the time we get out there. learning japanese sounds fab!

Guest suebryen

Hi,

I first came out here on a 1 year teaching exchange. I think that helped when I applied for my visa as I had already proved myself. I did however have to go through a 'suitablility' interview at a local District Office. If you want to teach I would apply to the Department of Education for that state and ask what requirements they have. I needed several things before I left the UK such as certified signed copies of BEd degree. I think each department will have their requirements. In NSW they have a waiting list of qualified teachers for different areas, so it is likely that the work you get will be as a casual (supply). There is plenty of this available as all teachers have non face to face time and many take long service leave. I spent one year as a casual then managed to have 5 years full time in the one school due to various staffing changes. It is a lot more easy going than the UK although accountability ( results based )is creeping in more and more. I think you will enjoy it. The kids will love the amount of space, the playgrounds all have wonderful equipment and huge ovals to play and run about.

Guest gareth&racheal

hi i was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

My childs birthday is in the middle of november and this november she will be two,

in what year can she start pre school and primary school.

will be greatful for any information you have thank you.

Racheal

hi i was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

My childs birthday is in the middle of november and this november she will be two,

in what year can she start pre school and primary school.

will be greatful for any information you have thank you.

Racheal

As she will be 5 November 2010 she would start school in January 2011 in NSW. Starting age is different in most states so you would have to let us know which state you are going to before you would get an accurate date.

Guest leedschick
Hi,

I first came out here on a 1 year teaching exchange. I think that helped when I applied for my visa as I had already proved myself. I did however have to go through a 'suitablility' interview at a local District Office. If you want to teach I would apply to the Department of Education for that state and ask what requirements they have. I needed several things before I left the UK such as certified signed copies of BEd degree. I think each department will have their requirements. In NSW they have a waiting list of qualified teachers for different areas, so it is likely that the work you get will be as a casual (supply). There is plenty of this available as all teachers have non face to face time and many take long service leave. I spent one year as a casual then managed to have 5 years full time in the one school due to various staffing changes. It is a lot more easy going than the UK although accountability ( results based )is creeping in more and more. I think you will enjoy it. The kids will love the amount of space, the playgrounds all have wonderful equipment and huge ovals to play and run about.

thanks for the info. i'm a bit nervous abput doing supply (this was what i thought i would do first out there anyway!) as i've never done supply before. i'm probably too comfy in my job at the mo. i'm thinking about leaving job around christmas as we will be hoping to go from easter (half terms notice is a pain!), then doing supply in england to get my head round it. hoping it won't be such a culture shock then!

Guest gareth&racheal

hi thanks for replying,

either queensland or n s w, as my partner has been over to oz and visited them,

however i havent we will be going over early next year. We would go this year but we are exspecting our second child in 13 weeks and organising are wedding for june

Sending of our main application after having passed skills assessment with tra

Thanks again hope everything goes well for you x

• 1 month later...
Guest gezz peter

Hi im soon to be making the big move , i have 3 children and need to find a primary school & pre school in or near bunbury any info would be a great help . also i have been told by a friend that children are tested for their abilities before being accepted into a school . is this true ?

thanks x Gezz

My son wasnt tested either we just went for a viewing and then had an interview where they looked through some of his old school work.There is an english supply teacher at his school who i think is starting full time shortly.He seems to enjoy school here as its abit more relaxed and they do lots of outdoor things.We left the uk in November and due to the big summer hols here over xmas where advised to keep him home till the new term in January.My daughter who is 4 next week wont start prep until Jan09(arrgghh) but goes to kindy at the moment.Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Hi

I guess the answer very much depends on where in NSW you plan to live. Like anywhere, there are good schools and bad schools.

If you want a permanent position you may find it very hard to find on in a decent area within the Sydney Metropolitan area. However, if you are prepared to go into the country and work then finding a permanent job would be much easier.

Casual teaching work is easy to pick up and you can work full time without a problem. You may be lucky to pick up a temporary contract in a school and effectively work as if you are a permanent teacher. I do casual work on a day to day basis - no planning, no marking, often the work is left for you, you arrive at 8.30 (or later) and walk out of the door at 3, with no more work to do during the evening. I find I am employed pretty much full time.

Hope that helps a bit

Daphne

Guest oz migration

Hi

Like most things in Australia education is also highly regulated from an employment point of view and yet education is not a Federal (national) controlled system, so each State has differences and so to you will find with enormous shifts in standards and acceptnace of a profesisonal.

The standards also come under greater scrutiny/differences whether you choose Public or Private (inc denominations - Catholic). In Qld children start too early around 3/4 years of age (infants) and are pushed with too much homework from then on in our opinion.

However, support and tuition is of a good/high level and probably better for children who struggle or have special physical or mental needs (short or long-term).

IN Qld the public system is weak and gets even worse in varying suburbs, the private system in general is good but you need to know your children and the desired path before placing within a private school - such as are they sporty do you require some Christianity around their education/development, do you wish them to learn sensible languages that will be useful and not "nice to have" as you are paying for the tuition and always bear in mind to add 10%+ for extras for the academic year.

As I mentioned earlier the Education system is State controlled and getting any reasonable comparisons on academic achievement both from a school or state level that is comparable is almost impossible. The system is being overhauled nationally and tables of outcomes/achievements are soon to appear (next 3 years) but again comparing one state versus another is a real task.

Kind regards

Chris

Archived