phone interview

Guest funkymonkey

Guest funkymonkey

Hi

Just after some advice from anyone who could help. My husband has a telephone interview for a really good job in the UK, we are looking to move back when our house sells but if he could secure a job before hand he would go ahead of us or we would all go and leave the house with the agent to sell. The problem is, what do you say at the interview when they ask when are you arriving in the UK? He had an interview a few weeks ago and when they asked this he said he would be arriving in the next couple of months, they immediately said they needed a specific date and would not continue with the application.:swoon:

So...should he give a date (even if we don't have one yet...) or should he say he is available to atend an interview in the UK with a weeks notice and then he is available to start after giving one months notice here? It would be so good and make such a difference to the move if he can secure a job before we get there but it is hard to get a company to be flexible enough to work with you on dates etc.

Sorry to ramble, hope i have explained our dilema and would love to hear from anyone who has been in the same boat and what they did about it...

Thanks

Havent done it but I would be tempted to say that you will be required to give 2 weeks (or does he really have to give a month?) notice once he has lande the job and will be back on the Monday following that. It may well be the case that you have to go back in stages, him first and you doing all the donkey work and keeping up the rear.

Good luck with the interview!!! It's fantastic that he has even got an interview when they know he is here.

Guest MSTO

My husband had 2 telephone interviews and never got any of them....I do not think it was because he was here in Australia but just that it is hard to come across as the real you in a telephone interview. He got a 3rd interview where they asked if he would fly over which he did, it cost us 2K but it worked he got the job. He told them he was ready to leave obviously he had to give 4 weeks notice here which if he had been a local candidate he would have had to do the same and they were happy with that.

I would tell them that he is prepared to go for an interview in person and that as long as they are happy with him giving his 4 weeks notice he could be there anytime. My husband said that and they were quite obliging and said we would like you asap however we realise you are relocating from the other side of the world and appreciate it may take longer...so you once you say 4 weeks you could possible make it a little more.

It depends so much on the employer. You will look difficult if you are applying from overseas and it will be much better to offer solutions rather than problems. Telephone interviews or skype or VCR ought to be possible to arrange and if they are really interested that will be enough for them. Don't travel for an interview as it will cost time and money which may be in short supply - explain that 4 weeks leave and present salary make it prohibitive. Of course, the interview will be during UK working hours which means late at night in Australia, but that ought to be doable. As for timescales, tell them you need to give x weeks notice (as in the UK) and could be available within a week of that. You don't have visa issues and reassure them that it is no more difficult for you to move from Australia as it would be to move from Nuneaton.

Archived