How did you choose an estate agent to sell your house?

Shaz36

Hi,

We are just about to put the house on the market, and trying to choose an estate agent to go with. I ruled one out straight away, then saw 2 more and like both, although one was slightly cheaper.

One is selling a house behind us (just went on a few weeks ago) and the other is selling 3 nearby (which have been on for around 6 months). Should I go with a totally different one, or just go for the cheapest, or is it better to stick to one already selling houses in our estate? I am not sure, so seeing another tomorrow as they are with GSPC and not selling any in our estate just now.

Both I've seen so far have the same marketing fee, but different commission rates. One offers a free home report, which you need in Scotland, and is charged at £499 + VAT by the other EA. I'm veering towards this one as that saving is quite good. Its made up partly in their commission, as instead of a %'age on the selling price, they have a flat rate.

Arrgghhh, should it be this hard deciding, and do none of them really sell your house? Is it basically the buyer who decides by looking at the properties online then us doing the selling when they view it?

Shaz

Guest annemarie and brian

hi, it is a hard decision but i went with the one that was selling the house and just not in my area they were a little higher but we went with a couple that were lower and they never got anywhere with them and reallly its down to your gut feeling it worked for us.

good luck on this hard desicion.

annemarie xx

I went for local reputation,but it did not work,as the market for sellers plumped.If there aint no dough about,then it matters not unfortunately.:huh:

Hi,

I'm not even sure which one would have the best reputation locally. I dont know many people in the area who have bought/sold recently.

I know what you mean, I am not sure either that it really has anything to do with who you choose, but more on the market as it is at the moment.

hi, it is a hard decision but i went with the one that was selling the house and just not in my area they were a little higher but we went with a couple that were lower and they never got anywhere with them and reallly its down to your gut feeling it worked for us.

good luck on this hard desicion.

annemarie xx

Hi Annemarie,

Do you mean you went with the EA that had higher fees, and were not selling any houses in your area?

Shaz

When we sold our house in the UK we looked at several things.

First was the general impression they created, including their local newspaper ads, their shopfront displays and so on.

Second was the impression they made when they came to value the house. Some were on time, professional and polite while others were late, rushed and offhand.

Third, one of the agents came up with a valuation wildly out of step with the others. We discounted them as being wrong.

Finally, we considered the commission. However, this was probably the least important because, once we made a choice based on the first three points, we went back and negotiated the rate to equal the best quote.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice. We did discount one straight away as his valuation was way out, and we didnt like his attitude - very negative and pessimistic.

The next 2 were both pleasant, marketed pretty much the same way, very professional, on time etc. Same marketing fee. Main difference was that one has sold houses recently, one hasnt. The one that has however, has 3 that havent sold in a while, soooooo, is it just down to the market, or them? I dont know.

Guest destinationoz

Personally I would try and play them off - negotiating on thier fees/commission - we did that and got one down lower ...

the other choice if you have time to play with is to go with an internet agent who charge a much smaller one off fee ...

just a couple of ideas ...

Good luck

Archived