Tertiary education on the 457

bryam99

Hi all,

we moved out here two and a half years ago on a 457 visa, my son is now 18 and daughter 14. Son wants to do a course at TAFE but when we applied instead of it costing $4000 for the 2 year course it is $20 000 for us as we are temporary residents we have to pay international student fees!!!

This prompted me to look further into the tertiary system for our daughter. We are currently about to apply for PR as my company will sponsor us to become permanent. My daughter wants to go to uni when she finishes school in 2 years, now i find out that even as permanent residents we still wouldnt have access to the HEX debt (student loan) system until we are citizens which takes 3 years as permanent residents before you can apply for it.

I really thought i had researched everything before we came here, but stupidly i stopped when i read that school children are treated the same as permanent residents if they are on a 457. I didnt read anything about tertiary education being different and i stupidly and naiively assumed it was the same.

For 2 years we have paid taxes as the Aussies do but we dont have the same access to higher education. I feel awful like i let my kids down bringing them here without knowing this, i dont want to have to tell my daughter that she has to go for the cheapest possible degree or worse still wait 3 years. My son already has to wait until the PR visa is sorted before he can apply for a course, i just hope he still has the enthusiasm in a years time.

People please be aware of the limitations of the 457. Everything else has been great here, we love it, but starting to think we should go back so that the kids have access to the full UK tertiary education system. I feel so stupid and guilty. :sad:

Anyone else had the same issues???

You do not need 3 years as PR for citizenship just one year of residence needs to be PR . Check the new rules here.

Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen You should be able to meet criteria for citizenship before daughter goes to HE

It is a bummer we will be coming on a business skills visa which is temp to start with and out son wants Uni - hoping he will agree to a year out so at least all years won't be overseas rates!

some states charge overseas fees for compulsory education (primary/secondary) as well as tertiary on temp visas it can get very expensive!

Hi all,

we moved out here two and a half years ago on a 457 visa, my son is now 18 and daughter 14. Son wants to do a course at TAFE but when we applied instead of it costing $4000 for the 2 year course it is $20 000 for us as we are temporary residents we have to pay international student fees!!!

This prompted me to look further into the tertiary system for our daughter. We are currently about to apply for PR as my company will sponsor us to become permanent. My daughter wants to go to uni when she finishes school in 2 years, now i find out that even as permanent residents we still wouldnt have access to the HEX debt (student loan) system until we are citizens which takes 3 years as permanent residents before you can apply for it.

I really thought i had researched everything before we came here, but stupidly i stopped when i read that school children are treated the same as permanent residents if they are on a 457. I didnt read anything about tertiary education being different and i stupidly and naiively assumed it was the same.

For 2 years we have paid taxes as the Aussies do but we dont have the same access to higher education. I feel awful like i let my kids down bringing them here without knowing this, i dont want to have to tell my daughter that she has to go for the cheapest possible degree or worse still wait 3 years. My son already has to wait until the PR visa is sorted before he can apply for a course, i just hope he still has the enthusiasm in a years time.

People please be aware of the limitations of the 457. Everything else has been great here, we love it, but starting to think we should go back so that the kids have access to the full UK tertiary education system. I feel so stupid and guilty. :sad:

Yes same thing happend to us with our daughter, she is at uni and you get nothing, it makes you cross when you have paid all your taxes and everything, the only good thing is that at least she will not leave with a huge debt, we are poorer for it, dont know if this will help but I did hear the nab did loans for students which they defer for 5 years, not sure if they still do it though.

Hi all,

Everything else has been great here, we love it, but starting to think we should go back so that the kids have access to the full UK tertiary education system. I feel so stupid and guilty. :sad:

Sorry to have to tell you but you have burned your bridges there too - there is a 3 year residence in UK before starting uni rule otherwise you will have to pay international student fees unless you have retained significant links with the UK and can prove that you were only here temporarily (and even then, I am not sure how successful that would be, you might just get away with it if your daughter argues that she had no choice in the matter).

Archived