Is Equity in UK property usable in OZ?

pearler

This might be a daft one and if it is i apologise in advance. I have some equity in my UK property (which isn't selling so we will try and rent it) and was wondering wether Aussie banks would consider this when buying a property in Australia?

This might be a daft one and if it is i apologise in advance. I have some equity in my UK property (which isn't selling so we will try and rent it) and was wondering wether Aussie banks would consider this when buying a property in Australia?

I wouldn't think so to be honest- they aren't really into 'thinking outside the box'- although not sure the UK would do it if things were reversed as they are cautious now given the economic climate.

The aussie banks pride themselves on being very old school in terms of lending as they weren't really affected by the downturn because they aren't as frivolous with their lending

if you rent your house out in the UK- then you can obviously rent here-you are still on the housing ladder- just in one place not 2.

The aussie banks pride themselves on being very old school in terms of lending as they weren't really affected by the downturn because they aren't as frivolous with their lending

Sorry to go off topic, but if that statement were true average house prices in Australia wouldn't be 7+ times average salaries...

to some degree yes.. house price inflation is fueled by readily available credit. I am not saying that the Aussie banks follow all the worst practices of the UK/US banks, but they are allowing people to borrow a damn sight more than what would once have been considered average borrowing (3.5x salary, 25 year mortgage terms)..

to some degree yes.. house price inflation is fueled by readily available credit. I am not saying that the Aussie banks follow all the worst practices of the UK/US banks, but they are allowing people to borrow a damn sight more than what would once have been considered average borrowing (3.5x salary, 25 year mortgage terms)..

We've been told by several mortgage peole that australa pride themselves in more 'secure lending' and this is one of the reason's hey were not as affected. If you think I'm wrong then fine-just passing on what I've been told.:spinny:

A few years ago my UK bank did allow me to take out some equity from my home in London and use it to buy an apartment on the Sunshine Coast. It was no problem at all. As it turns out, it was one of the best things I ever did given the exchange rate at the time, home prices in Oz back then and the interest rates here now.

Sadly, I don't believe they do it anymore........ they used to also allow a lot of Brits to do it to buy places in Spain and so on. Ah, the days of easy lending!

We've been told by several mortgage peole that australa pride themselves in more 'secure lending' and this is one of the reason's hey were not as affected. If you think I'm wrong then fine-just passing on what I've been told.:spinny:

No offense mean't. Aside from what you've been told, what is your actual observation? Does a 7x salary loan (to buy your average Sydney or Melbourne house) leant over 30 years seem like frugal lending?

No offense mean't. Aside from what you've been told, what is your actual observation? Does a 7x salary loan (to buy your average Sydney or Melbourne house) leant over 30 years seem like frugal lending?

No it doesn't you are right and none taken -sorry to OP for moving off post:spinny:

A few years ago my UK bank did allow me to take out some equity from my home in London and use it to buy an apartment on the Sunshine Coast. It was no problem at all. As it turns out, it was one of the best things I ever did given the exchange rate at the time, home prices in Oz back then and the interest rates here now.

Sadly, I don't believe they do it anymore........ they used to also allow a lot of Brits to do it to buy places in Spain and so on. Ah, the days of easy lending!

That's the other way round to what the OP wanted to do - that was use a UK property to get equity from an Australian bank.

• 5 months later...

I asked the same thing after I arrived and the answer was no, for many good reasons so I think you'll be out of luck. Best advice I can give you on this is get some professional advice from a financial planner both in the UK and in Oz as its a big topic

Thank you for the feedback. There appear to be some internet sites which advertise overseas property investment (in Australia) using UK property equity. I would appreciate anyone's views on these

There als was websites advertising you could get hold of your pension be careful

Archived