New thread about Oz-please contribute and assist my therapy

Guest guest36762

Guest proud2beaussie

No Karen,you seem to misunderstand my posts,I have always said that I have no problem with people expressing negative views about Australia as long as they don't confuse their opinions with facts.

as I demonstrated earlier in my reply about commuting and work hours in Australia vs the UK.

Some people deliberately post their opinons as if they were facts,that is what annoys me.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest itskaren
Well karen surely that's a matter for me?

I happen to watch a lot of current affairs shows like 7.30 Report,Four Corners,Foreign Correspondent etc,I also watch Catalyst ,Gardening Australia,The Insiders,Dateline etc,I consider them all quality programs.

These are the only programmes I watch ... but that's about it! Plus the SBS news ..

I just miss watching a good drama that the BBC always had.

Where next then? Colac, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing?

Seriously though, you could consider plan C-stay put.

Come out to the outer east of Melbourne, can't help with the TV though, do what I do - turn it OFF !

Guest guest30038
Ooh let me see, we lived near york(come to think of it we lived near everywhere) so there were museums,dungeons,educational centres, reptile centres, the deep auqrium, the sealife centre huge indoor play centres, Indoor railway centre. All within 30/40 minutes

And once you've seen 'em. do you revisit? The point I'm getting at it it was stated that once you've seen something in Oz, what then? Surely it's the same anywhere?

I fully agree, that the UK has a wonderful history and can offer much more, but how manty folk actually take advantage of that, or can actually afford it?

I'm trying to make the point that oz is not devoid of plenty to do/see, and quite frankly, those who say it is, must be devoid of the spirit of adventure and blind to the fact that the weather, at least where I am, lends itself to seeing more of what it has to offer.

I'm a UK qualified Mountain Leader and access to some of the most beautiful places in the UK and Europe (especially the Pyrenees) has been afforded me by that. I've seen and experienced that which many average persons cannot, but that beauty of a wonderful europe does not blind me to what can be experienced here, as it seems to do to some. If they can't find something to enjoy, irrespective of the weather, then I feel sorry for them...........there is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing :yes:

kev

Guest guest30038
These are the only programmes I watch ... but that's about it! Plus the SBS news ..

Amazon.....dirt cheap.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

So what is the problem? there are crap programs on aussie tv,there are crap programs on uk tv,I happen to be reasonably happy with aussie tv,that doesn't mean that it couldn't be a lot better,it certainly could,but I just don't think it is fair to make a blanket statement that "Australian tv is bad"that would be unfair,however if someone says 'In my opinion Australian tv is bad' then I have no problem with that.

Almost everything in life comes down to individual perceptions,some people will always say a zebra is black with white stripes,others will say it is white with black stripes.

Guest guest30038
some people will always say a zebra is black with white stripes,others will say it is white with black stripes.

Apart for the brown bit at the back end :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest proud2beaussie
Apart for the brown bit at the back end :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Talking s**t again Kev?!

Guest proud2beaussie

Keep it up Dom,

Aldo's position as PIO's resident funster is under serious threat!:biggrin:

And once you've seen 'em. do you revisit? The point I'm getting at it it was stated that once you've seen something in Oz, what then? Surely it's the same anywhere?

Yes we have revisited places many times but there is always something new that is easily accessible-this is my point- and I don't mind wrapping up either:jiggy:

So what is the problem? there are crap programs on aussie tv,there are crap programs on uk tv,I happen to be reasonably happy with aussie tv,that doesn't mean that it couldn't be a lot better,it certainly could,but I just don't think it is fair to make a blanket statement that "Australian tv is bad"that would be unfair,however if someone says 'In my opinion Australian tv is bad' then I have no problem with that.

Almost everything in life comes down to individual perceptions,some people will always say a zebra is black with white stripes,others will say it is white with black stripes.

So as long as we put 'IN MY OPINION' before everything that will be ok- a little pedantic surely

Guest proud2beaussie

So you would be perfectly happy for me to start a thread that said "The fact is that the UK is a crime ridden hole"?

So you would be perfectly happy for me to start a thread that said "The fact is that the UK is a crime ridden hole"?

Amazingly enough I wouldn't care a jot there's a lot worse said by the media in the UK- you haven't lived there since the 60's so not sure really that you opinion would bother me anyway to be honest (no offence meant at all).

Saying that when I speak to people at home and they moan about the UK that doesn't bother me either it seems to bother them more that I moan about Oz- which just goes to show what a strange bunch we are. If you are Brit who likes UK you are in the minority (although most have never lived anywhere else)

Perhaps if we were all forced to sing he UK national anthem and brainwashed from a young age that we lived in the 'lucky country' then we would be as patriotic as the Aussies.

Would you be offended if I said that IMO Australia is a Bland Souless backward s***hole:jiggy:

Guest guest36762

Perhaps if we were all forced to sing he UK national anthem and brainwashed from a young age that we lived in the 'lucky country' then we would be as patriotic as the Aussies.

Would you be offended if I said that IMO Australia is a Bland Souless backward s***hole:jiggy:

Yowzer, steady on there mate!

It seems the biliousness is catching

Guest proud2beaussie
you haven't lived there since the 60's

Incorrect.

Since 1972 I have been there 52 times,and in the last 5 years I have spent 6 months of each year there,I have a business there and a girlfriend who lives there,I spend a lot of time there,I find certain

parts of it fantastic,other parts less so,and some parts,but only a few,absolutely horrible,which is pretty well spot on how I feel about Australia,the difference is that I don't judge the whole of the UK on the parts that I don't like and I don't present my views as facts.

If I have an opinion I make it known that it's my opinion only.

If you wish to make a comment like

IMO Australia is a Bland Souless backward s***hole
then I would have absolutely no problem with that,what I would have a problem with is if you stated that as a fact when clearly it would just be an opinion.

Yowzer, steady on there mate!

It seems the biliousness is catching

Not at all- I'm actually finding this banter and difference of opinion (although some of it is toungue in cheek)very healthy and jolly good fun to be honest and I'm sure that everyone is taking it in the same spirit.

We must all remember how fortunate we are to be able to express our opinions some people are not as fortunate in this world.

Guest guest30038
Not at all- I'm actually finding this banter and difference of opinion (although some of it is toungue in cheek)very healthy and jolly good fun to be honest and I'm sure that everyone is taking it in the same spirit.

Oh to be sure! The only thing that I'm sure of is that you can't find a decent sausage here..........it must be true............so many members have stated it :wink:

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

I agree,good aussie sausages are hard to come by,but my butcher does sell some good ones,I do enjoy English sausages though,my GF is a coeliac and buys only 100% meat ones that are gorgeous,I have never found any as good here.

http://www.englishsausages.com/

We must all remember how fortunate we are to be able to express our opinions some people are not as fortunate in this world.

I agree. It is nice to have a bit of two-ing and fro-ing, at least its not bland.

Oh and have you changed your username or am I getting confused, again.

Wendy

Archived