Life deciding doubt - Is Australia more than a beautiful face?

Guest DMV

Guest chris955

I also love the racing scene and used to love following the bikes from circuit to circuit around the UK, literally any circuit was within reach so it was possible to attend all the various classes of bike and car world championships.

Sorry you did ask earlier why I am here if I favour the UK, there are reasons and things that need to be sorted before any decision can be made.

Guest Waylyn

Hi DMV,

That's fair enough about your parents especially as they are still quite young. With how long people are living for now I class 50 as middle age:biggrin:

Perhaps you need to sit down with you family and work out the pro's and con's of Europe and Australia. If you can afford it, take your parents to Aus for a few weeks so they get a good idea of the place.

I must admit that Aus was never a Country I saw myself going to. I didn't have any interest in it at all but then I met a friend through racing and was offered to visit (just find the plane fair). I couldn't turn down an offer like that. My friend and their family were very accommodating of me and showed be the local sights of Melbourne. Since then I've always loved Melbourne, to the point that when OH got a job in Sydney I was in two minds about going. I'd been to Sydney for a weekend and didn't like it much but I don;t think the fact that I got sun/heat stroke helped!

Now, having lived in Sydney for 3 years I will always think of Sydney as home. This time around we're heading to Canberra. I'm happy with that as I'm not too far from Sydney to go and visit friends there and the climate might be more beneficial to me. I like the warm weather but in Sydney you get what my mum terms, Black Bats. I really don't want to type the word but it begins with C.

We didn't know until we moved to Sydney that I had a phobia of them :-( It did make life hell but I realise that with the warm weather you will see them. I never encountered them in Melbourne or in Spain, but as in the UK they are here you just don't see them.

I had to decide whether it was going to stop me or not. In the end I thought why let some insect dictate where you live. I know I have a problem and when we land in Country I will seek help for it. But I don't think I will ever manage to go to India after watching a Lonely Planet programme *shivers*

I'm fine with spiders and snakes, actually I was gutted because I never saw a snake!

As for the racing, the last I remember of Bernoldi he was racing Stock car in Brasil. I believe that Luciano also raced in the series, it seems popular. I know what you mean about the coverage, even in the UK we didn't get much years ago but we don't get any now! ITV4 do cover a whole day of Touring car racing so you get to see Ginetta's and other club sports. Makes my mum happy but she's moaning about Channel 5 not showing the Indy racing series this year. Seeing how she was a huge Jackie Stewart fan it's no wonder that I started watching racing.

Chris - were you into British Superbikes? I've only been to one of those races at Donington Park (we had free tickets because of some error with the MotoGP).

Also you mention that "there are reasons and things to be sorted before any decision can be made." Does that mean you might stay in Aus?

DMV - I don't envy the position you are in but I do hope that everything works out for you and your family. Should everything go well for us with the Visa and if you do decide to go to Aus, we shall definitely have to catch up. Chris, if you are still in Aus, come along too and we can have a racing party!

Good luck guys!

Chris955, I see. It's not an easy and quick task, especially when you already have a job and a house. But if you could go now, where would be you favourite place to move in?

Lynne, the black bats you mean are those that see things through radar waves? The animals that in some species get feeded by blood? If so, I never imagined Australia had them. I always see people complaining about snakes and spiders. Bats that don't get feeded by blood are pretty harmless and even kinda simpatic animals - only problem is the mess they make. I guess if you don't see them in a bad and mysterious way that movies usually depict them you will lose the phobia.

The strange thing is that bats are usually found in more isolated areas, not in big capitals like Sydney. Australia is indeed exotic in its nature!

And yes, Stock Car is quite popular here and many drivers starting their careers or getting out of other series race in it. I don't really like it because the cars are all the same with different faces and there's not a lot of technology. But it can be very competitive, pretty much like V8 Supercars in Australia - although the cars have some differences in V8S.

Thanks again for the vowels and if we ever get to the mystical Down Under we should indeed meet and have a racing day!

Guest Waylyn

No, I like bats. Think more creepy crawly on the ground that can fly and are usually black or dark brown - like a beetle. Their probably from the same family.

OK, I can type it... cockroaches.

As far as bats go in Aus, if you do like them head to the botanic gardens in Sydney. There are a large number of fruit bats there, can also find them in Hyde Park.

They really are just so cute! We used to get them flying over the house in the evening, they're one of the animals that I really miss seeing.

Have to go now as typing the C word has made me go light headed.

Guest Waylyn

Sorry DMV, you asked about returning items in the UK.

The law states that items must be "fit for purpose" as well as being of "satisfactory quality".

Most stores will take an item back for any reason so long as you have the receipt and it hasn't been used. They don't have to do that unless it is faulty etc but most do it out of goodwill and so that you will return to the shop.

In the UK you usually have 28 days to return an item, some stores may allow you longer and some will often replace a faulty item with a new one after as long as 6 months.

In Aus we found that you have 7 days as standard for returns and if an item goes faulty after that they will repair but not replace. For example, OH's ipod went faulty within a month and we took it back to the store all we were offered was repair. I'm not saying it is wrong but it was a shock after years of living in the UK.

A lot of the UK for returning items is done not by law but by the stores gesture of good will, it is something that is often forgotten and people will turn around and say "it's the law, you have to give me my money back" when legally the store may not have to.

Another example in Aus, a friend of ours spent over $4,000 on a brand new Plasma TV which went faulty under 3 months. He didn't mind having it sent off for repair but they couldn't give him a time frame for how long he would be without a TV. After a month he still didn't have his TV back so he asked for a small TV to be used while it was being repaired but they wouldn't do that. In the end he did get his TV fixed and sent back but it did take a long time.

As far as I know, consumer law is getting better within Aus but someone who is currently out there will hopefully be able to confirm that.

I see. Those insects are really annoying and I dislike them a lot as well. They seem to be more present in humid areas, that's why in the UK you can find them. I suspect Australia has more or less the same humidity we have in Brasil - but with more heat - so maybe they are just like here: some places don't have it at all and some have quite a bunch in some seasons of the year.

As for the return policy, then Australia is just like Brasil in this subject. 7 days in case of defective items, after that you are up to the warranty services of the product. Unfortunately, many take some time as well to repair the product. Getting a temporary product while in repair is also only by courtesy and not every one does it. You can also return non defective items only by good will of the store - happily most do it - unless it's bought through internet. In that case you have 7 days to regret the buy by law.

The UK on the other hand is much better relative to those two countries. 6 months of replacement of a defective item by courtesy is something I've never seen here. Many products have only 3 months of warranty by the maker!

Those details reveal a lot about how a country is. They may not seem too much of a deal, but usually they talk a lot about the quality of the legislation, respect and confidence between buyers/sellers and even the way people think on how they do things for others. I may be doing a bit of a stretch, but Australia policy regarding repairs and returns seems to confirm that it's really not a perfect place like many imagine and that they still have a long way to go in many aspects to live up to their expectations.

Having said that, one must appreciate the position of admiration a country so new and with a so turbulent background has achieved. Maybe people admire it's capacity to overcome challenges or is it just me?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everybody with good intentions that contributed to the topic and to my decision as well. It has been most helpful and so relevant to the decision I took that I wish I would have some form of return to this forum the collaboration it gave me and seems to give for so many as well.

If anyone has any doubts about Brazil or Italy, send me a PM. I'll keep logging in for a few weeks more!

Guest Waylyn

Sorry DMV, I haven't been on for a while.

My experience of Aus and one of the main reasons I like it there is due to the spirit on the people. Yes, you get good and bad everywhere but for the most part Aussies will help you out if they can.

For example, when people lose their home to bushfires, everyone chips in to help them. It may be by offering a place to stay, some clothes or even food. And they do it with no thought of it being paid back.

Australia is a harsh land and due to this people tend to look out for each other. That's not to say that all do, but I think most are respectable people.

As for being neighbourly, we never had any real problems with neighbours. Most people are trying to make the best of what they've got so you don't usually get too much bother from people.

Just thought I'd give a little bit more to think about :biggrin:

How is the decision process going?

Hey Lynne!

Thanks for those extra informations! I had read before that Australians had this kind of union and solidarity before and it is nice to hear you think this type of Australian is the majority. How they behave when things are good? People sometimes have completely different behaviours when things are doing ok, for the worse and for the better. Do they keep helpful? Do they keep correct? They tend to be neutral or quiet or they might tend towards arrogance?

About the decision, I'm concentrating efforts in Europe now. After some research I found many places all over it with a surprisingly low cost of life and housing with good quality as well. As I have the citizenship and have links and preferences there things get way easier and safer, in a way that only if Australia was close to what I had in mind initially it would be worth the risk. The housing prices and the climate were major turn offs for my parents as well, and unless I made this challenge alone I couldn't not consider them - specially as they are putting their lives and money on the line even more than me in many senses.

I feel I might regret it but I feel as well that there is too many things in Europe calling me with more substance and so much less risk. This posts have been a turning point for me in my life certainly. What I'm quite sure about Australia is that I want to be able to get my life going as soon as possible to be able to visit it in time to be able to maybe fully enjoy it, if it ends up showing it was worth it. If it's indeed not, then I'm pretty sure it will be an awesome trip anyway.

But, please, keep those details and informations coming! I really want and like to know them!

Guest cham11

Hi there DMV:

Great post! I am a migrant to Australia myself (as a child) and watched my parents go through the migrating as older people issues...

I think you definitely should do a visit here, whatever your decision. Melbourne (as opposed to the other capitals) sounds like the best city for you if you love food and "seriousness, respect, politeness, gentleness, cleanness, will to move forward, separation of religion and ideology from the practical issues, passion, quest/focus for quality and discreteness. A fine living - but not run down or arrogant - lifestyle is also valued by me." Melbourne definitely a more "serious" and "by the book" city than the others in Australia. It's also considered to be "cultured," whatever that means (probably from that european/eurocentric perspective)!

Drugs and racism in Melbourne is exaggerated by the media...it's definitely not a problem in your day to day life.

I think a lot of people posting here are just not used to the sense of isolation and comparative "emptiness" you get in Australia...it's far away from a lot of places and it's a lot less densely populated...

In terms of people, Australians are among the best people in the world to the extent you can generalise about a whole country. They will speak out if they see something unfair going on and they are honest and non-prejudicial.

On the bad side - housing is expensive in any capital city now.

It's a great place. Easy to make friends and get out and about to live your life.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Italy and Spain too!

Good luck with your choice!

Cham11, thanks for your input and enjoying my topic!

When you said "as opposed to the other capitals", did you mean the other capitals are not favourable for what I'm looking for? Or just that they are less favourable? Does the climate of Melbourne get close to Europe near the Mediterranean?

Can you share if the adaptation process to your parents was made easier or harder by the locals? Can you also say some good and bad points in comparison to the UK/Europe? (I'm assuming you are from the UK and remembers it, but please warn me if I'm wrong and make the comparison anyway, if you wish).

About what you said about the less dense population, I get that feeling too that there are many disliking it because of that mainly - or because of home sickness.

But you have never come across those problems people talk about so much like rudeness, violence and unorganized cities? Or you believe it's a matter of opinion?

Now you got me thoughtful again about Australia. I'm wishing there was a way I could make a sponsored internship there. Does that exist? Gosh, those doubts can make one crazy hehehe!

As for the return policy' date=' then Australia is just like Brasil in this subject. 7 days in case of defective items, after that you are up to the warranty services of the product. Unfortunately, many take some time as well to repair the product. Getting a temporary product while in repair is also only by courtesy and not every one does it. You can also return non defective items only by good will of the store - happily most do it - unless it's bought through internet. In that case you have 7 days to regret the buy by law.

The UK on the other hand is much better relative to those two countries. 6 months of replacement of a defective item by courtesy is something I've never seen here. Many products have only 3 months of warranty by the maker!

Those details reveal a lot about how a country is. They may not seem too much of a deal, but usually they talk a lot about the quality of the legislation, respect and confidence between buyers/sellers and even the way people think on how they do things for others. I may be doing a bit of a stretch, but Australia policy regarding repairs and returns seems to confirm that it's really not a perfect place like many imagine and that they still have a long way to go in many aspects to live up to their expectations.

Having said that, one must appreciate the position of admiration a country so new and with a so turbulent background has achieved. Maybe people admire it's capacity to overcome challenges or is it just me?[/quote']

Hi DMV,

I think you have incorrect information. In Australia you have a right to a refund, not a repair, if your purchase does not meet ALL the following:

Of merchantable quality. This means the goods should meet a basic level of quality and continue working for a reasonable time, bearing in mind their price and the way the goods were described.For example, you could reasonably expect a $2,000 watch to last longer than a $100 one. Or you could reasonably expect a TV to last for more than a year – if a fault developed soon after a year you would still be protected by your implied warranty rights – the manufacturer would probably be obligated to repair it free of charge.

Fit for the purpose. This means the product should do the job you were led to believe it would do. In some cases this is pretty obvious; a watch might look great on your wrist but it must also tell the time. Other cases are less self-evident, but a product must always meet the requirements you told the seller you wanted it for, or the purposes the product is advertised for.

Match the description or sample on which your buying decision was made – this includes information given in advertising, demonstrations, labelling, promotions and by the salesperson.

Have no defects. Goods should be free from faults which affect their merchantable quality, unless you should have known about the defect before you made the purchase (for example, with ‘seconds’). For instance, if you were aware that stitching on an item of clothing was torn before you bought it (the price may have been reduced for that reason), you can’t give this as a reason for entitlement to a refund.

(Compare products and find independent product reviews with Choice.com.au)

You are entitled to a refund if the product is defective:

"If a product you bought does not meet any of the four key consumer guarantees and you couldn’t have known about the defect at the time of purchase, you’re entitled to compensation. If the product is faulty or defective, you can get a refund.

You may be offered a replacement product, repair or credit note instead, but if a refund is what you want, don’t settle for anything less! "

Not everybody understand their rights so sometimes you can be told incorrect info....

Fish.01, thank you for your information!

For how much time these implied warranties and the right to refund is valid? There is a determination or it is valid for as long as the product is also implied to be good? Is it common and/or easy to get a refund or a solution for a defective good in these cases where the original warranty has expired?

Where I live there is also this type of implicit guarantee, but there are few cases where they are actually effective after the seller warranty ends. They are mostly to give base to the actual laws of consumer protection and there a refund is only obtainable after there have been attempts to fix the product.

Fish.01, thank you for your information!

For how much time these implied warranties and the right to refund is valid? There is a determination or it is valid for as long as the product is also implied to be good? Is it common and/or easy to get a refund or a solution for a defective good in these cases where the original warranty has expired?

Where I live there is also this type of implicit guarantee, but there are few cases where they are actually effective after the seller warranty ends. They are mostly to give base to the actual laws of consumer protection and there a refund is only obtainable after there have been attempts to fix the product.

There is no explicit limit. It is not limited to the manufacturers warranty period. It is the time frame that could reasonably be expected given the type of product and how much you paid for it. It is the consumer choice whether they get a refund, exchange or repair. Some people and shops know about it, some don't. Sometimes shops need to be given a little kick by contacting the local Consumer Affairs govt office, other shops give refunds no questions asked and advertise this.

I see. So the implicit part does work indeed. And the Consumer Affairs Office is responsive? Are they helpful and quick in intervening in those cases?

Guest cham11
Cham11, thanks for your input and enjoying my topic!

When you said "as opposed to the other capitals", did you mean the other capitals are not favourable for what I'm looking for? Or just that they are less favourable? Does the climate of Melbourne get close to Europe near the Mediterranean?

Can you share if the adaptation process to your parents was made easier or harder by the locals? Can you also say some good and bad points in comparison to the UK/Europe? (I'm assuming you are from the UK and remembers it, but please warn me if I'm wrong and make the comparison anyway, if you wish).

About what you said about the less dense population, I get that feeling too that there are many disliking it because of that mainly - or because of home sickness.

But you have never come across those problems people talk about so much like rudeness, violence and unorganized cities? Or you believe it's a matter of opinion?

Now you got me thoughtful again about Australia. I'm wishing there was a way I could make a sponsored internship there. Does that exist? Gosh, those doubts can make one crazy hehehe!

I think Melbourne is a lot hotter and drier than the other capitals, and colder in winter too (excepting Hobart). But most people don't think it's anything if they have lived in Europe or North America...

I am not from the UK or Europe but North East Asia so our experience was probably way more extreme! My parents had a really hard time in the first couple of years - just total cultural shock. There weren't many other migrants from our home country around at that time. Dad was better than mum since he had been traveling overseas for work for years. But they got used to it, made friends and assimilated the best they could into the society. After about five years, they started missing Australia when they went back for visits. But visits are still essential for them...it's just too quiet compared to bustling Asia - I think that's related to the density thing! :)

Regarding unorganised cities, I think it depends on what you're used to. For example, lots of Australians complain about how bad Sydney is, and yes, the traffic and layout is pretty bad but wow, compare that to Bangkok or Shanghai and it's really not that bad.

I feel like I can speak best for Melbourne. Honestly, Melbourne is tops when it comes to the issues of violence, rudeness, organisation etc. I wouldn't want to be catching trains to work everyday since the train system is quite bad and has a lot of delays right now, but otherwise, I can walk around the CBD or surrounding suburbs alone at 1am and not feel unsafe. People are really nice and polite.

You should try it out if you have been thinking about Oz that much! A sponsored internship can be arranged if you can find a company that's willing to sponsor you for a visa. Otherwise, why not take your next holiday in Australia? :D

Good luck!

Sunnibee, thanks for the good whishes. Cham11, thanks again and sorry for being wrong about your nationality!

It must have been quite a shock indeed for you and your parents. Nice to know that you and your family haven't suffered from the rudeness and prejudice people sometimes report about Australia and actually got the side of it that is very appreciated. Shame you can't give me this same feedback about other capitals and cities...

About city organization, Australia indeed must be comparatively more calm and less confusing as big Chinese cities but that's not a really good sign because those are monstrous places with enormous amounts of people. They are expected to be more overwhelming than a low density city in Oceania. Seeing footage from Shanghai remembers me of big cities that we have here in Brazil as well, with crowded streets and huge areas. If even knowing this type of city you reckon that Sidney is not well organized I guess it's true after all. It's a bless they don't have too much people there then!

And yes, I will look forward to at least some holidays in Australia. Melbourne is on the top of my list, as it seems that it is the city that lives up to the wonderful expectations people have about this country. But that makes me afraid of other capitals and cities being opposite to all this good things.

Archived