Violence in melbourne

matto

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi matto

we have just come back from Brisbane after being there for just over a month and the news channels were reporting horrible crimes daily. I was surprised by how much was being reported because when we were in Perth in 2006 for a month, there wasn't hardly any reported crime. I also have to admit that alot of the crime being reported was from Melbourne. The thing is, alot of the crime tends to be in certain high crime areas and its as bad as crime in the uk, but the difference is, you can live in subhurbs far away from these areas where crime is very low and you feel that nothing is going to happen to you. Also anti-social behaviour isn't out of control there like in the uk which hopefully doesn't ever become a country wide problem. I don't ever feel that we are going to be victims of crime, but having suffered a burglary, car break ins and my kids harrassed and attacked by anti-social youths, who the police don't do anything about, if we did suffer a crime. it wouldn't be a surprise and we live on a new housing estate, but like most places it isn't far away from a deprived area. People i spoke to in Australia said time and time again that crime isn't an issue and that they feel alot safer living there.

jim

Guest Aldo
Hi matto

we have just come back from Brisbane after being there for just over a month and the news channels were reporting horrible crimes daily. I was surprised by how much was being reported because when we were in Perth in 2006 for a month, there wasn't hardly any reported crime. I also have to admit that alot of the crime being reported was from Melbourne. The thing is, alot of the crime tends to be in certain high crime areas and its as bad as crime in the uk, but the difference is, you can live in subhurbs far away from these areas where crime is very low and you feel that nothing is going to happen to you. Also anti-social behaviour isn't out of control there like in the uk which hopefully doesn't ever become a country wide problem. I don't ever feel that we are going to be victims of crime, but having suffered a burglary, car break ins and my kids harrassed and attacked by anti-social youths, who the police don't do anything about, if we did suffer a crime. it wouldn't be a surprise and we live on a new housing estate, but like most places it isn't far away from a deprived area. People i spoke to in Australia said time and time again that crime isn't an issue and that they feel alot safer living there.

jim

There are some very dodgy suburbs too Jim, i saw a lot of suburbs brisbane that where like ghettos.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
There are some very dodgy suburbs too Jim, i saw a lot of suburbs brisbane that where like ghettos.

Hi Aldo

your right about that, kev told us some to avoid, they arn't like the ones in the uk, like mirrored images of chatsworth, from Shameless, no doubt there are some really bad areas. You can move away from these areas, far away especially if you have a moderate amount of money though. By the way, where were the ghettos, it might be good info for people on PIO.

jim

Guest Aldo
Hi Aldo

your right about that, kev told us some to avoid, they arn't like the ones in the uk, like mirrored images of chatsworth, from Shameless, no doubt there are some really bad areas. You can move away from these areas, far away especially if you have a moderate amount of money though. By the way, where were the ghettos, it might be good info for people on PIO.

jim

Marooka (large settlement of Africans)Moorooka Queensland Australia. - Google Maps

Woodridge, Logan Central (Islanders)

Not suggesting there is a link with the areas large African/Islander communities and the fact that they have a high crime rate BTW:wink:

I'm sure there are more but these ones I have been to and seen with my own eyes.

The problem is Jim that you may be lucky enough to live in a "good" suburb but those who have to get on buses and trains on lines that go through them are effected as well.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

its the same in most major cities of the world, a couple of years ago there were about 3 youths knifed to death in London in less than a year and dozens and dozens stabbed, its a sign of the times and i don't know what the answer is, America locks them up for a very long time, a prison in America isn't a 3 star hotel like here in the uk, its how it should be. My view is treat Sh7t like the Sh7t they are, zero tolerance, its all they understand.

Hi everyone

its the same in most major cities of the world, a couple of years ago there were about 3 youths knifed to death in London in less than a year and dozens and dozens stabbed, its a sign of the times and i don't know what the answer is, America locks them up for a very long time, a prison in America isn't a 3 star hotel like here in the uk, its how it should be. My view is treat Sh7t like the Sh7t they are, zero tolerance, its all they understand.

So are you still leaving us jim ?

I have followed your posts with great interest , and was looking forward to your posts from Australia

Guest chris955

Some people honestly have a very strange view of life here, I feel no more or less threatened by crime,violence or anti social behaviour here than I did when living in the UK. There are areas in Brisbane I wouldn't go to after dark and areas I wouldn't live in if they were the last on Earth.

This belief that crime isn't an issue here is plainly absurd. People wanting to leave a particular country are inclined to see things much worse in the country they are leaving and better where they are going even if statistics don't necessarily back up those views, it's a natural thing to do.

In the UK it is very easy to live in a low crime area exactly as it is here, the opposite is also true. The belief that there is a criminal on every corner in the UK is of course ridiculous but I'm sure the thought gives comfort to some.

Budget boost to make Melbourne rail commuters feel safe again | News.com.au

Guest The Ropey HOFF
So are you still leaving us jim ?

I have followed your posts with great interest , and was looking forward to your posts from Australia

Hi bunbury

thats a good question and only my wife can answer it, we all loved Brisbane and we have both got into a position where we can have a job to go to, but my wife is agonising over leaving family and i can understand that, so i am just biding my time.

The point about being able to live in low crime areas in Britain is clearly true, but these places tend to be high housed priced areas which i personally can't afford to live there and tend to be miles and miles away from places of work, whereas in Australia there are alot of low crime areas, that are affordable within travelling distance of work, thats the difference and crime isn't a reason for me to leave the uk, statistics if you believe them say that crime per head of population is almost identical to the uk, but as i say you can live far away from the high crime areas.

jim

Marooka (large settlement of Africans)Moorooka Queensland Australia. - Google Maps

Woodridge, Logan Central (Islanders)

Not suggesting there is a link with the areas large African/Islander communities and the fact that they have a high crime rate BTW:wink:

I'm sure there are more but these ones I have been to and seen with my own eyes.

The problem is Jim that you may be lucky enough to live in a "good" suburb but those who have to get on buses and trains on lines that go through them are effected as well.

Woodridge is well known as one of the worst suburbs in Logan (a satellite city attached to Brisbane). Inala is another one. Moorooka is news to me. Didn't consider it flash but didn't think of it as bad either because some African immigrants were living there. Has there been a lot of issues with it?

I must say I don't feel there are that many bad suburbs in Brisbane compared to the number of good ones. Once you cross the Brisbane boundary some of the very outlying areas are dodgy....but still a lot of good suburbs out there as well. I very rarely feel unsafe whereas I did a bit more in the UK but that might have just because I was told by locals so many places to avoid that I wasn't sure what was what...a bigger percentage of places looked low socio-economic as well but that may have just been because it looked different to what I was used to....I know that can distort our perception...

Guest chris955

It is easily possible to live in a low crime area in the UK and buy a house for 200k or less. Having friends in the Police Force I guess I benefit from inside information.

Guest Grizelda

I lived in a suposedly "nice area" in the UK and the local villains took a liking to my car. It had a tracker fitted and I had additional security installed but the vermin still attempted to steal it on 7 occasions in 6 years (succeeded twice)

Over here I do not even lock my front door at night or when I go out and it is a liberating experience. I don't lock my car on the driveway either but I do lock it when out at car parks etc

Of course there is crime in Oz (my boat has been broken into several times) but the average person here has a higher ethical standard in my opinion. Think it might have something to do with the very high density of population in the UK and breakdown of society generally.

Guest chris955

:laugh: I've heard it all now.

but the average person here has a higher ethical standard in my opinion.

Guest Aldo
but the average person here has a higher ethical standard in my opinion.

:policeman: ello ello ello

Hi bunbury

thats a good question and only my wife can answer it, we all loved Brisbane and we have both got into a position where we can have a job to go to, but my wife is agonising over leaving family and i can understand that, so i am just biding my time.

The point about being able to live in low crime areas in Britain is clearly true, but these places tend to be high housed priced areas which i personally can't afford to live there and tend to be miles and miles away from places of work, whereas in Australia there are alot of low crime areas, that are affordable within travelling distance of work, thats the difference and crime isn't a reason for me to leave the uk, statistics if you believe them say that crime per head of population is almost identical to the uk, but as i say you can live far away from the high crime areas.

jim

No offence meant Jim , but you have really slated the UK on a few occassions , and i was looking forward to hearing of your life in oz.

I lived in oz for 6 years ,and still have property there .

I actually get on better with the Aussies than i did with the poms ......but .....i was in my 20s ,and had nothing to lose.

Just a word of caution .....if you bite over there ,the way you bite on this messageboard ,you will have a long uphill trek.

Yes jim , iam aware you are a big bloke who can look after himself ,iam not referring to that .

The experience i had was ,if the Aussies rip the piss out of you, and you can have a good laugh .....give it back ,without it getting heated ,you are excepted.

I used to give them loads .......god ,i wish i was there now ,after Englands victory in the cricket.......just for a couple of days.

I digress , think long and hard ,especially if the gaffer is family minded,and the parents are getting on in years

Family is everything .........when that lightning bolt of missing family or friends hits you , its like being hit by a train,when you are far away .- Andy

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No offence meant Jim , but you have really slated the UK on a few occassions , and i was looking forward to hearing of your life in oz.

I lived in oz for 6 years ,and still have property there .

I actually get on better with the Aussies than i did with the poms ......but .....i was in my 20s ,and had nothing to lose.

Just a word of caution .....if you bite over there ,the way you bite on this messageboard ,you will have a long uphill trek.

Yes jim , iam aware you are a big bloke who can look after himself ,iam not referring to that .

The experience i had was ,if the Aussies rip the piss out of you, and you can have a good laugh .....give it back ,without it getting heated ,you are excepted.

I used to give them loads .......god ,i wish i was there now ,after Englands victory in the cricket.......just for a couple of days.

I digress , think long and hard ,especially if the gaffer is family minded,and the parents are getting on in years

Family is everything .........when that lightning bolt of missing family or friends hits you , its like being hit by a train,when you are far away .- Andy

You make me laugh you do, me being advised on life skills WTF.

Thanks for your advice, but i can look after myself and as you put no offence and none taken.

jim

Archived