Help on where to live in Sydney

Guest Dirty Herbert

Guest Dirty Herbert

Hi,

Myself and my wife are moving to Sydney in October. We are late twenties/early thirties, like going out, have a dog. We'll need a small house with a yard, and don't want to spend more than 650 a week. Ideally we'd be near a beach or happening area. I won't be working, so understand that finances will put constraints on where we can live. what are peoples thoughts on the following areas?

Newtown

Leichardt

Coogee (although maybe too expensive)

Dee Why

My wife will be working near central station.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Sorry, I know you guys have been asked this on numerous occassions and I have had a look through other threads. :biggrin:

Hi,

Myself and my wife are moving to Sydney in October. We are late twenties/early thirties, like going out, have a dog. We'll need a small house with a yard, and don't want to spend more than 650 a week. Ideally we'd be near a beach or happening area. I won't be working, so understand that finances will put constraints on where we can live. what are peoples thoughts on the following areas?

Newtown

Leichardt

Coogee (although maybe too expensive)

Dee Why

My wife will be working near central station.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Sorry, I know you guys have been asked this on numerous occassions and I have had a look through other threads. :biggrin:

Newtown - used to be studentville - not sure if that is still the case, easy to Central

Leichhardt - nice area, Norton St restaurants etc., easy to Central

Coogee - lovely beach, Eastern suburbs, molto caro, reasonably easy to Central

Dee Why - lovely beach, not so easy to Central

Have you been to Sydney before?

Have you had a look at Erskinville?

Next door to Newtown about 2 stops to Central, 10 mins walk to Newton

Few good pubs and a decent chinese on the high street

was really nice place when I was there a few years back, I lived round the corner on Mitchell Rd opposite the park, spent quite a bit of time in Erko

I think you'll be unlikely to find a small house in Coogee as it is mainly apartments, not sure about Dee why maybe the same.

Newtown & Leichhardt are both in the inner west so a drive to the beach but readily accessible for Sydney CBD.

Newtown has the advantage of a train line. As the other poster said Newtown is quite studenty as it's close to the University of Sydney (always reminds me of London's Camden if you know it) but it is very vibrant with lots of bars & restaurants.

Leichhardt is Sydney's Italian quarter and has a great feel again. The thing to watch in both Leichhardt & Newtown is the flight path for Sydney airport, whereas it doesn't bother the locals i find the noise there a bit much.

Other places to consider may be Glebe, Rozelle or Balmain. Balmain would be at the top end of your budget but I love it. It is very dog friendly with lots of pubs & cafes/restaurants

Guest Dirty Herbert

Thanks for the replies.

We currently live in London and from what's been said, it seems Newtown may be a good option. The flight path won't be a problem, i used to live in Richmond (london) which was like having a tent on Heathrow's runway. As a contrast, the idea of living right by a beach also appeals, but i realise that this may be expensive due to most housing being appartments. Dee Why seemed affodable but i've never been. My wife seems ok about the travel, she's South African, so has missed not living by the coast over the last 7 years.

I lived in Sydney for 16 months back in 2001/02, but lived in Pyrmont and can't really remember much outside the CBD and beaches.

I'll have a look at the other suggestions, but other opinions welcome. i've also been using city hobo as a guide.

Cheers

Guest nm123

Thumbs up for Glebe from us! Bus to Central takes 5-10 mins, lots of little bars/restaurants/pubs. Good access to the city and parks and water (Blackwattle Bay, Pyrmont, Darling Harbour). Rent isn't exactly cheap, but not top dollar either.

There is more going on come the evenings in Newtown, than there in in Glebe, but it's easy enough to hop between the two.

We loved Balmain as well, but thought it was a bit more, dunno, family oriented than we were looking for.

I would second www.cityhobo.com - really useful!

Guest Dirty Herbert

Sorry Guys,

One final question, I've seen some nice rental properties pitched slightly over what we'd like to pay. Is it common practice to offer less, much like here in London?

Sorry Guys,

One final question, I've seen some nice rental properties pitched slightly over what we'd like to pay. Is it common practice to offer less, much like here in London?

I think the market is pretty hot in Sydney so probably unlikely. May be someone with recent experience will confirm or otherwise.

Guest Ista
Leichhardt is Sydney's Italian quarter and has a great feel again. The thing to watch in both Leichhardt & Newtown is the flight path for Sydney airport, whereas it doesn't bother the locals i find the noise there a bit much.

Hi all, we're hoping to move to Sydney in a few months so I'm trying to get a feel of the area. Is Leichhardt and Newtown always in the Sydney airport flight path? I'd like to steer clear of areas that have this problem - are there any others on the south side that I should avoid?

Thanks - great thread guys! :cute:

Hi all, we're hoping to move to Sydney in a few months so I'm trying to get a feel of the area. Is Leichhardt and Newtown always in the Sydney airport flight path?

Pretty much - either landing or taking off. No volcanos nearby either! There is a curfew in place, can't remember the exact hours 11pm ish to 5:30ish. Used to get a break during the afternoon when they used the east-west runway if the winds were favourable. Not sure if that is still the case.

I'd like to steer clear of areas that have this problem - are there any others on the south side that I should avoid?

Thanks - great thread guys! :cute:

Kingsford-Smith airport is a 'city-centre' airport. Therefore proximity to a flightpath is assured almost anywhere close to the CBD and inner suburbs. I think most people get used to it and it is great if you are plane-spotter like me. Nothing better than sitting under the flight path of the LAX flights - a fullen laden jumbo with 14 hours of fuel on board thundering overhead. You can almost reach out and touch the undercarriage. I digress...:hug:

Archived