Moving your goods and furniture

gaz n family

Me and 'er in doors are having constant discussions on what to take, what to sell etc etc.

So you have an empty ISO container, you have a standard 3 bed home with a garage, you have the standard furniture for a family of 4, oh and a 929 fireblade.

What would you pack, what would you sell/burn/re-cycle?

In my opinion i can going to stick as much stuff in a possible, EVERYTHING, from bedding, to sofa and dish washer etc and if there is space my bike.

The wife on the other hand wants to ditch a very expensive and nothing wrong with it dining room table and chairs, all the sideboards not kitchen electrical goods, nor the two sofas.

She has been told, and dispite me telling her otherwise she wont believe me that we cannot take water electrical goods, like washing machines, dishwashers etc. please can someone update me.

Also knowing Oz is very protective of its borders, what would you do with your garage/shed stuff? I have stacks of tools and allsorts, i have resigned to losing my garden items, but thought i would be ok with the tools, opinions please?

Guest mandandsteve

So the information that I was given ('You can't bring anything made of wood in to Oz') is not true??

Guest siamsusie

So the information that I was given ('You can't bring anything made of wood in to Oz') is not true??

Untreated woods are considered a "no no" but I brought all my wooden items with me i.e. dining room tables & chairs, tables, beds etc. Items like rattan ,bamboo and wicker are not permitted. I declared all on the shipping forms and had no problems.

I agree bring everything. I used my english electrical items for years after arriving. I also brought lots of furniture wood and other materials. It is very expensive to start again. Bring everything. My dad brought all his garden tools also.

We brought most of our stuff, including dining table, sofas, washer and dryer and are glad we did. We could not have replaced the items we brought (for similar quality) for the cost of the container. Additionally, we've still had to buy furniture here which mounts up. For me, I'm at the stage where I want to buy furniture that will last me a few years and not to make do with ... brining all our stuff allowed us a bit of time to decide what else we needed and not to 'impulse' buy. Saved us a fortune.

We could not have replaced the items we brought (for similar quality) for the cost of the container. Additionally, we've still had to buy furniture here which mounts up. For me, I'm at the stage where I want to buy furniture that will last me a few years and not to make do with ... brining all our stuff allowed us a bit of time to decide what else we needed and not to 'impulse' buy. Saved us a fortune.

Couldn't have put it better myself. You can buy good quality things here but why would you if you already have it? It may seem expensive to ship everything but it's only a small part of the cost it would be to bring it all with you. I left quite a few electrical items and some furniture with Mum and now wish I had brought it all.

Lastly, if you have a book collection and are thinking of selling it off, please don't. Books cost a good deal more here than they do in the UK and you are better off bringing these with you.

Archived