Moving to Sydney is 6 weeks.... alone!

Guest jonnyleedham

Guest jonnyleedham

Hi Guys,

I'm moving to sydney in 6 weeks with work, and i dont know anybody there! So, this is almost like a plea for friends!!

I'm 25 into football, cricket gyming, play guitar, and like a drink too....

Any ideas on good ways to meet new people/friends are always welcome, particularly if you already live in Sydney!! My ideas at the moment are to join a cricket team, gym and learn how to surf and hopefully meet people that way!

Please get in touch, as im starting to worry I'll be the 'Sydney Loner!!!'

Thanks

John

Guest lucyc

Hi John,

I am in the same situation as you. I am moving out on the 10th of May on my own and dont know anyone. I will definatly be up for meeting up with you im starting to get very scared about it all!!

Lucy

you'll both be fine if you go out there with a positive attitude and a willingness to try new new things and not judge others. my experience is that sydneysiders are very open, friendly and willing to give folks a fair go as they say here. certainly if you enjoy sport that will help a great deal and open a few doors - i cycle to work with a big group on the north shore, and they have been terrific from day one. just watch out for the banter and inevitable (light hearted) pom bashing. Give as good as you get and you'll be stars. the other thing to bear in mkind is that sydney is a large, diverse cosmopolitan city with plenty of folks from the UK, Europe and elsewhere. it's easy to mix with both locals and ex-pats who will also be on the look out for new pals etc. Sydney is a great place - you have made the right choice - enjoy. best wishes.

Soccer season has just started so a great time to get to your local club and join as all are desperate for members and someone will always invte you for a drink or bbq to let you meet people. this is the same with any Aussie sports or social group so don't worry.

They will take the mick out of you for being a POM so get ready for it but many of the fottball (Soccer) crowd have english , irish or european backgrounds.

Lucy and John if either of you do get worried or lonely or struggle to find contacts then please just let people know on here as soon as you know the suburb you will be in and somebody here will help you with contacts or befriend you themselves as we have all been in the same boat.

bes tof luck

Liam

Hi mate.

I'm going over with my partner on 5th May. There are six of us going over. Two of my friends are Australian, and have been living in Sydney for some time. The rest of us are going over there to start a new life, and to meet with these Aussies pals.

I have a massive group of friends here in the UK, so I am really keen on meeting as many people as I can. I love water, and my passion is Scuba Diving. I'm also a keen squash player too. I would also love to learn how to surf, so this is on the top of my adgenda. Sorry, football isn't for me, I'm more of a 'rugby fan'. However I can't wait to watch the world cup over there.

Anyhow, we're going over on 5th May, and have a temporary apartment in Manly, but will sus out where we want to be once we're over there.

I'd love to keep in touch with you mate, and would love you to meet my friends which I already know over there. I'm finding it a bit daunting too, and I know people there, so I can only sympathize with your situation.

You'll be fine mate, but if you want to stay in touch, that'll be awesome. Send me a message and I'll give you my personal e-mail. That goes for you as well lucyc.

Guest jonnyleedham

Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone for replying to my post - Its my first ever one. So, im happy i got some responses!!

I've dropped you guys private messages with my email address, so it'd be good to hear from you soon!

Thanks

John

Guest lib1001
Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone for replying to my post - Its my first ever one. So, im happy i got some responses!!

I've dropped you guys private messages with my email address, so it'd be good to hear from you soon!

Thanks

John

Hi John - I'm moving out with my boyfriend, Tom, arriving on 3rd May. I'm 26 and he's 25 - he sounds very similar to you in that he likes to play football, cricket, wants to surf and plays the guitar! We don't know anyone out there so are definately up for meeting up with people - when do you arrive?

Lib

Guest lib1001
Hi John,

I am in the same situation as you. I am moving out on the 10th of May on my own and dont know anyone. I will definatly be up for meeting up with you im starting to get very scared about it all!!

Lucy

Hi Lucy - as I just said, we're moving out a week before you and no noone out there. I'm definately up for meeting up with people when we get there, so feel free to get in touch!

Lib

Guest Katster

Hi there

I am about to do the exact same thing and have just posted something similar to you - a plea for friends!!

I arrive on 14th June so would love to meet up with someone who would be feeling the same amount of excitement at being in Sydney but who also doesn't have anyone to go "Oh My God I'm actually here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when you see sydney harbour bridge for the first time.

Keep in touch.

Kat

Guest jonnyleedham

Hi Lib and Kat,

The prospect of half knowing anyone seems awesome right now!!

I've dropped you both a message on here with my email address on so we can keep in touch.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

John

Hi Lib and Kat,

I've dropped you both a message on here with my email address on so we can keep in touch.

John

Hi Guys,.

Girlfriend and I are due in Sydney this week (Volcano permitting). Would be up for meeting everyone as and when they arrive. We will be living in the North Shores area to start with.

Nicholas

Guest alboheme
Hi John,

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I am moving out from London sometime in June and dont know anybody either. It would be cool to email and then meet when we both arrive, how exciting!!! How can we private message on here??

Alison

Guest alboheme
Hi Lib and Kat,

John

Hi John,

I am moving out to Sydney from London sometime in June, also alone!!

Can you send me your email address and we can email and then meet when we both get there??

Im excited but nervous, its nice to chat to others arriving alone.

Alison

Guest Katster

Hi Alison

My name is Kat and I saw your posting on John's wall as am in contact with him. I too am moving to Sydney all alone in June. So pleased there seem to be others in my scary situation.Would love to exchange e-mail addresses and would be up for meeting for a Gin and tonic in the sun!!

Cheers

Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am 28 and looking to move out mid July on my own too, I would love to catch up with anyone. I like the normal stuff and a good few vinos on a weekend... It would be great to know that we have someone to "put the workd to right with" anyone please feel free to PM me and I will forward my email address. Good luck everyone !!

Emma

Archived