New SOL - State Migration Arrangements

George Lombard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update Sunday evening. GSM suspension day 2.

WA has now blocked online applications but I would think you can still send them hard copy applications if you've previously completed the online form. To see the suspension see State Migration Centre and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

SA has also suspended offshore sponsorships with a prominently displayed warning at Make The Move :: Requirements for State sponsorship.

ACT - form is still loading.

Victoria - not loading as far as I can see.

The others are paper-based so business as usual I imagine.

I would expect all the states to consider freezing their programs in response to Friday's announcement. Best to get it in today if you can...

Cheers,

George Lombard

I emailed ACT yesterday to ask if they were still processing SS applications and this is their response:

Dear Claire,

We are still processing sponsorship applications. Unless the application is in your partners name, you might like to check with your agent when your application has been submitted, as we do not currently have your name on our database.

The app is in my partners name, but the jist is that they are still processing.

Claire

I emailed ACT yesterday to ask if they were still processing SS applications and this is their response:

Dear Claire,

We are still processing sponsorship applications. Unless the application is in your partners name, you might like to check with your agent when your application has been submitted, as we do not currently have your name on our database.

Claire

Thanks Claire... Athough I am grateful that they are still processing, I wonder why they haven't stopped accepting new applications like other states.

Thanks Claire... Athough I am grateful that they are still processing, I wonder why they haven't stopped accepting new applications like other states.

Hi Ozzieland, yes i have been wondering that too. Perhaps they are just ignoring DIAC and getting on with things.

Hi Ozzieland, yes i have been wondering that too. Perhaps they are just ignoring DIAC and getting on with things.

Seems strange because what happens to those applicants who have applied for ACT SS and are yet to file for their VISAs, especially in the case where the occupation does not figure in the new SOL !! Does this give us some kind of a hint on what is to come ?

Dear Claire,

Claire

Thanks for the update Claire at least they are still processing

Im am KICKING myself now that we didnt lodge on Friday ......... I really am.

Ah well fingers crossed we are on the SMP.

Suzanne

Seems strange because what happens to those applicants who have applied for ACT SS and are yet to file for their VISAs, especially in the case where the occupation does not figure in the new SOL !! Does this give us some kind of a hint on what is to come ?

Hopefully they will be on the SMP, if the state has sponsored then they need them even if they are not on the new SOL. I hope this is the case for all caught up in this mess.

Thanks for the update Claire at least they are still processing

Im am KICKING myself now that we didnt lodge on Friday ......... I really am.

Ah well fingers crossed we are on the SMP.

Suzanne

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to Suzanne. Hope you get some goods news from ACT this week

Claire

Hopefully they will be on the SMP, if the state has sponsored then they need them even if they are not on the new SOL. I hope this is the case for all caught up in this mess.

Yes, I hope so too... especially for everyone who did not get a chance to file their applications....

Guest archisami

Hi,

I read somewhere that after new SOL announcement the existing CSL would be over.

Is it a logical conclusion to say that without CSL and it's 3 relating categories ( category 2,3 & 4) other categories jump up 3 steps? and if this happens why should we be waiting for SMPs?

Guest abcd1234

Dear Experts,

Have you herd any thing about WA ? , any thing similar to below mentioned quote from this thread.

1.If you have already submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA AND sent all your supporting documents AND have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 - send an Email to Immigration SA at gsm.sa@sa.gov.au with a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number before 14 May 2010. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

Please also share , Thanks

BR//

Hello George,

have you heard anything about NSW?

Carolina

Temporary Suspension of NSW Sponsorship for Some Skilled Migration Visa Classes

On 7 May 2010, the Australian Government announced that it would temporarily suspend the acceptance of applications in some offshore visa classes until 30 June 2010. These visa classes include:

• Skilled Sponsored 176 visa
  • Skilled Regional Sponsored 475 visa

As a result of this decision, Industry & Investment NSW will not accept applications for NSW sponsorship in these visa classes until after 1 July 2010. The Australian Government has not suspended visa applications in the following onshore visa classes:

• Skilled Sponsored 886 visa
  • Skilled Regional Sponsored 487 visa

Industry & Investment NSW will continue to accept applications for NSW sponsorship in these onshore visa classes.

Department of State and Regional Development

Hi,

I read somewhere that after new SOL announcement the existing CSL would be over.

Is it a logical conclusion to say that without CSL and it's 3 relating categories ( category 2,3 & 4) other categories jump up 3 steps? and if this happens why should we be waiting for SMPs?

Hi archisami

Yes you are right, come 1 July the CSL will be gone and new SOL in place. And really with the suspension of GMS visas now til 1 July you could say CSL for new applicants has already gone.

The pdf below explains the changes announced on 8 Feb and the new priority processing details.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing.pdf

This doesn't mean that anyone jumps 3 steps. Currently, if someone is sponsored by a state they are Cat 5 and if their occupation is on the SMP come July they will go to Cat 2, otherwise they will stay on Cat 5.

Hope this helps

Claire

Guest VickyMel

Victoria are also suspending SS applications until July.

https://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/about-us/news/2010/temporary-suspension-of-certain-general-skilled-migration-gsm-visas

Temporary Suspension of Certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) Visas

12 May 2010

On 7 May 2010 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) announced its decision to temporarily suspend processing of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. This includes the following visa subclasses:

• Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent (Migrant) visa
  • Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored (Migrant) visa
  • Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa.

Processing of certain State sponsorship applications by the Victorian Government is affected by the suspension to visa processing. If you currently have a sponsorship application in process, please read the information below.

• No further offshore sponsorship applications will be accepted until 1 July 2010.
  • If your sponsorship application is in process, and you have not lodged a visa application, the application will remain in process however a decision will not be made at this time. You will be advised of any change to this situation and it is requested that you do not enquire on the progress of your application.
  • If you lodged your visa application with DIAC prior to 8 May 2010 however did not include this information in your sponsorship application, you should advise the Skilled and Business Migration Program by 21 May 2010. No further information will be accepted after this date.
  • Onshore sponsorship applications will continue to be processed as normal.

The Skilled and Business Migration will be unable to answer queries regarding the suspension of visa applications and would advise you to contact DIAC if you have any questions.

Hi Vicky,

Yes, that just leaves the ACT and NT who are continuing to sponsor, and I'm sure their decisions to suspend the program won't be long in coming. FWIW there's some sense in only processing applications already lodged, since from 1 July it will be new lists all round using ANZSCO.

Cheers,

George Lombard

VIC haven't mentioned what will be status of those already granted State sponsorship but were unable to apply DIAC.In my case, I have VIC SS(computing professional nec (C/C++/C#)) valid till July 28.I am not sure why VIC didn't mentioned what should we expect from them -:)

Hi Vicky,

Yes, that just leaves the ACT and NT who are continuing to sponsor, and I'm sure their decisions to suspend the program won't be long in coming. FWIW there's some sense in only processing applications already lodged, since from 1 July it will be new lists all round using ANZSCO.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

We have been onto the ACT regarding application sponsorships. Firstly we applied in March and our occupation (Systems Manager) was on the baseline list. This changed to the quota list as of April 1st but our agent told this it would not affect our application and we would not have to get the occupation assessed by the ICT Industry Panel (basically we were safe and it would take approx 8-10 weeks to process).

When the changes came in last friday we panicked and I wanted to lodge a 175 on 100 points and you kindly advised we could do this. However on speaking to our agent she advised us against this as SA had pulled the plug and others may follow suit. As yet the ACT have not done this and Im really kicking myself for not going ahead and lodging regardless.

We havent heard from our agent since Friday so we decided to contact the ACT directly as we are now into our 10th week and we want to know what is happening.

The response we got was:

"As your nominated occupation is a Computer Professional, before processing commences with your application, it has been referred to an ICT industry panel to assessment employability opportunities in the ACT with regard to your skills. Processing will commence as soon as we hear back from the panel, which should be early June 2010"

So it looks as if they are still processing applications but I am quite confused as to how our agent didnt have this information and gave us opposing information in April when I asked the question. Im wondering if ACT have changed the goal posts but surely they would advise the agents working on behalf of applicants?

Thanks

Suzanne

Guest VickyMel
VIC haven't mentioned what will be status of those already granted State sponsorship but were unable to apply DIAC.In my case, I have VIC SS(computing professional nec (C/C++/C#)) valid till July 28.I am not sure why VIC didn't mentioned what should we expect from them -:)

I imagine it may be that they don't expect you to expect anything from them.

They have given you SS already - they have given you 6 months to decide if you wish to use it - so you just add it to your application if you want to when you apply?

If it was not valid due to the temporary suspension then maybe you could email and ask them to extend the 6 months validity but in your case it does not look like this will be necessary anyway.

Guest Caitmelbourne

I have an interview on Monday for a role as Disability Employment Consultant with SCOPE which could come under a few occupations on the current SOL, but most likely none on the new one.

My concern is that, if the company will consider a 457, should this be hurried? I think they were keen on employing me on my working holiday visa on a temporary basis initially.

I don't want to get the point of publication of SMPs & be caught out there aswell

Hi Suzanne,

Can't comment on the work of another agent, sorry. My understanding is that for some time now the ACT has been ensuring that IT applicants are up to speed for the industry in the ACT, ie that they were doing this informally before the April change to the Quota list was notified. To that extent your agent may have thought it a gamble to lodge a 175 application if the sponsorhip was not certain.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived