Breaking rental lease to go home

Guest sophi

Guest sophi

Hi does antone know anthing bout breaking your rental lease to go home??

I know we will lose our deposit.

We have another 5 months left on our lease and dont think we can stay that length of time. we would love to leave ASAP.

Its all the legal documents you have to sign to say you cant leave before the end of the lease or you are liable for the cost of further rent and advertising fee's.

If you just went home and posted the keys to them, can they do anything??:confused:

You don't automatically loose your bond if you vacate prior to the end of the lease.

You are liable for rent to the end of the lease unless someones take over the remainder of your lease, and all advertising of the property to find another tenant.

We have another 5 months left on our lease and dont think we can stay that length of time. we would love to leave ASAP.

Its all the legal documents you have to sign to say you cant leave before the end of the lease or you are liable for the cost of further rent and advertising fee's.

If you just went home and posted the keys to them, can they do anything??:confused:

hi sophi ...why dont you put an ad on here and see if you get any takers ....pioers are always on the hunt for rentals !!

mrs keily

Hi

We broke our lease after only 4 months on a 12 month lease because we had bought a house. We had to continue to pay the lease until another person came along to rent it, also like you say advertising fee's. However we spoke with the agent about 6 weeks before we were due to move out and they had a list of people waiting for houses and it was leased straight away. We did not pay any advertising costs or rent plus we got our full deposit back.

We state are you in as it maybe different in other states...this was SA. Would be worth advertising here to see if anyone is looking and save yourselves the advertising costs.

Good Luck

Guest sophi
Hi

We broke our lease after only 4 months on a 12 month lease because we had bought a house. We had to continue to pay the lease until another person came along to rent it, also like you say advertising fee's. However we spoke with the agent about 6 weeks before we were due to move out and they had a list of people waiting for houses and it was leased straight away. We did not pay any advertising costs or rent plus we got our full deposit back.

We state are you in as it maybe different in other states...this was SA. Would be worth advertising here to see if anyone is looking and save yourselves the advertising costs.

Good Luck

Thanks for that, il think il email the agents and tell them we want to go home and see if they have anyone waiting for rentals in perth Wa.

they may be hope at last :-):hug:

Thanks for that, il think il email the agents and tell them we want to go home and see if they have anyone waiting for rentals in perth Wa.

they may be hope at last :-):hug:

whereabouts in perth are you soph as im looking at the mo lol

mrs keily

Guest gary12

Sophi

We broke our lease, they took 10 weeks to rent it out. That aside this is what you may have to pay and should budget for. Advertising costs, you may only need it on the internet but they charge an additional fee for a board. A percentage of the remaining rent, ours was 3% (so 3% of 5 months) rent whilst it was unoccupied. The other thing they can do it take someone at a reduced rent and you pay the difference. You have to pay for the credit checks for the new tennants and I have a feeling there is a small administration fee. I think all in our costs came to about $450.

Speak to the agent and email her the details too. Tell her your intentions the chances are they will not be able to do anything until you give them a set date that you will vacate the property. There is nothing to stop you putting up posters etc with the agents contact details.

To be honest I don't think I would just walk away from it, they need you to sign the bond over to them etc. I would constantly worry too that they would track me down in the UK but thats just me, over worrier of the year. With Easter coming up that will delay things then organising any shippers/removals etc before you know it you could be another month or two down the line.

Best of luck

Michelle

Guest red back

As above, Its in the too hard box if you return to the Uk. Having said that not sure they can follow you across International waters to recover a debt. There is no transworld agreement for rental debt that I am aware of.

The UK uses different legislation and recovery of debts would have to go through (Court) in the area where the debt was made, it does not then get transfered to the UK.

Your may loose a few moral points and a nights sleep. May be best trying to talk to the agent, just dont tell them your UK address

if you explain your situation some realestate agents are pretty fair, they too want it renting out so have a word and tell them your intensions and hopefully someone will be lined up before you leave ,,,,,,,We did when we moved INTERSTATE we didnt have to pay a CENT and we got the full bond back in full it did take however 5 weeks to get it but worth it as we were not paying 6 mths rent till it got re rented ................. this was with RAY WHITES MANNINGHAM MELBOURNE .

Guest sophi

Thanks all, we will take it month by month. we might even finish the lease before we go, will save a lot of brain wrecking if we do but time will tell. :-)

Archived