Job Offer

touch107fm

Hi Guys

I am due to arrive in Sydney next week. I have being offered a job over there I did a phone interview two days ago.

I was a good salary in the UK around 38k a year.

The package I have being offered is as follows (based in Sydney)

Base $45,000

9% superannuation

30% penalties, benefits

Total package - $62,550

Is this a good salary for Australia. My girlfriend who is a nurse is taking home over a 1000 dollars a week.

I just need to get my head around how much cost of living is etc.

The company want a answer very soon, I would almost like to hold on to before I sign up to the contract with them.

Any ideas.

D

It's hard to say whether this is good or bad, without knowing what the job actually is. That said, I can make the comment that just because your other half takes home $1000/week, is not a good indicater - nurses earn more as they do shift work, so they get paid more working a five-hour shift overnight than during the day, for example. I'm assuming your job is Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, in which case you wouldn't be getting shift allowances etc.

Really what you need to compare is the base hourly rate, this is a much better indicator.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your quick reply, I should have said that it is a shift based job as well. So both of us would be doing shifts.

Some people are saying take the job just to get your foot in the door etc etc It has taken me a long time to gain the experience in the UK.

I am currently in Bangkok way on route to Sydney I got one week here to decided. I dont want to be looking for work over here in Thailand.. Way to hot for that.

Thanks again.

Guest guest30038

IMHO the company is pulling the old trick of qouting 9% superann as part of the package. It is comupulsory that they pay same and I would disregard that........it's the salary that counts, not the package.......you can't pay the mortgage with that 9% can you? You will also have to contribute a minimum of 2%. The penalties I assume relate to overtime and shift work and don't look too hot to me with shift workers generally pulling time and a half for weekends.

Considering that you're doing shifts, I would say that the package is below par but that said, get your foot through the door, Australian experience under your belt and on your CV, and then look for a better deal.

Good Luck

kev

Depends what the job is, where in Sydney its located (e.g. is it miles out west, would it cost a fortune to commute there) and what other employers pay for similar work.

Its great to have a job offer but ask yourself why they want you to give an answer so quickly and why they offered it to you before you got a chance to meet. Unless its say a govt job based on a pay scale for a type of job, they might be having trouble filling it locally - e.g. because its not enough money.

You're only a week away,you say? Can you tell them you'll give them a definite answer once you've arrived?? What's their hurry and all that....

Hi Guys

I am due to arrive in Sydney next week. I have being offered a job over there I did a phone interview two days ago.

I was a good salary in the UK around 38k a year.

The package I have being offered is as follows (based in Sydney)

Base $45,000

9% superannuation

30% penalties, benefits

Total package - $62,550

Is this a good salary for Australia. My girlfriend who is a nurse is taking home over a 1000 dollars a week.

I just need to get my head around how much cost of living is etc.

The company want a answer very soon, I would almost like to hold on to before I sign up to the contract with them.

Any ideas.

D

Do you have any other job offers on the table? A bird in the hand...you land, you have work, there is nothing stopping you looking elsewhere in the meantime. Some would kill for that!

Hi all thanks for your reply's. I am currently working as a control room engineer or should I used to for the BBC. I contacted a recruitment agency in Sydney and told them I would be looking for work.

A new company is setting up shop so would be good to get in at the start but its a 50k drive to and from work I google mapped it!!. I was not liking the idea of driving 50k after doing 12 hour shifts. I have lived and worked in London for a few years doing shifts and used to travel on my motorbike. After a 12 hour shift the last thing you want to do is travel so far. It used to take me half a hour on the motorbike or 1 hour on the tube.

But on the other hand Flebo said a bird in the hand etc I don't want to stuck in Sydney out of work for months. Me and my girlfriend are moving to OZ for a fresh start and better quality of life. Life in London was all go. I used to work freelance for a few companies. Making lots of cash but quality of life not so good. Unfortunately Media/broadcast area is flush with good jobs. In this industry you don't want to be switching jobs to often as its a small market..

itcouldbeworse from what you have said I would tend to agree with what you are saying I need to look into this,

Base $45,000

9% superannuation ...... I take this is like a pension fund

30% penalties, benefits...... shift allowance.

Total package - $62,550

I always work on take home after tax etc. When I was working here a few years ago on a working holiday visa I was taking nearly $1000 home each week painting and decorating..

I need to work out how much my take home will be.

As I am on a 457 visa I also have get media insurance which is also going to be an extra 100 dollars a month..

mmmmm The more I think about this the more I feel I could have cash problems in Oz compared to living in the UK.

I feel I should be getting a bigger salary than this to make it all worth will. I know the exchange rate pound to dollar has been slammed but its all about cost of living.

Lets say on average what is the average salary in Sydney. I know by UK standard I was on a OK salary of £38k

OK I need to have a beer and get my head around this.

D

Hi all thanks for your reply's. I am currently working as a control room engineer or should I used to for the BBC. I contacted a recruitment agency in Sydney and told them I would be looking for work.

A new company is setting up shop so would be good to get in at the start but its a 50k drive to and from work I google mapped it!!. I was not liking the idea of driving 50k after doing 12 hour shifts. I have lived and worked in London for a few years doing shifts and used to travel on my motorbike. After a 12 hour shift the last thing you want to do is travel so far. It used to take me half a hour on the motorbike or 1 hour on the tube.

But as Flebo said a bird in the hand etc I don't want to stuck in Sydney out of work for months. Me and my girlfriend are moving to OZ for a fresh start and better quality of life. Life in London was all go. I used to work freelance for a few companies. Making lots of cash but quality of life not so good. Unfortunately Media/broadcast area is flush with good jobs. In this industry you don't want to be switching jobs to often as its a small market..

itcouldbeworse from what you have said I would tend to agree with what you are saying I need to look into this,

Base $45,000

9% superannuation ...... I take this is like a pension fund

30% penalties, benefits...... shift allowance.

Total package - $62,550

I always work on take home after tax etc. When I was working here a few years ago on a working holiday visa I was taking nearly $1000 home each week painting and decorating..

I need to work out how much my take home will be.

As I am on a 475 visa I also have get media insurance which is also going to be an extra 100 dollars a month..

mmmmm The more I think about this the more I feel I could have cash problems in Oz compared to living in the UK.

Lets say on average what is the average salary in Sydney. I know by UK standard I was on a OK salary of £38k

Ok I need to have a beer and get my head around this.

D

I know the tellys crap but media insurance lol

Archived