Doctors' thread

Guest man2010

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Shylet

Have we spoken before on this through my other half Bob (was west mids knife)?

do have a good GP friend who came over from shrewsbury - sure his wife is on here somewhere. I'll get scouting for you. he will tell it how it really is!

Cath

hi Shylet

Have we spoken before on this through my other half Bob (was west mids knife)?

do have a good GP friend who came over from shrewsbury - sure his wife is on here somewhere. I'll get scouting for you. he will tell it how it really is!

Cath

Hi Cath,

we might have spoken but my memory is rubbish ever since I had my baby,and got worse with all the paperwork to do with registration and the visa!

shylet.

Shouldn't have any impact at all, If she is registered with the WA healthboard then her registration will automatically be transferred to AHPRA, At least thats how I understand it.

Exactly so - register with WAMB before end September though .... and AHPRA will be automatically informed, and registration transferred to national board.

I've just spoken to AHPRA regarding the transition period to WA health and they have advised that doctors wishing to apply for WA healthboard registration should use the AHPRA forms, If applications to WA healthboard are not determined and approved before the transition applicants will need to start the process again.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Good god. I'm a solicitor by background so I usually keep out of all of the threads involving medics because I never understand a word of what you are all talking about (doctors, nurses, radiographers etc) with the various skills assessments and registrations with the medical board in each State etc.

I've been seeing AHPRA or whatever it is in various thread-titles lately. I'd heard that the AMC are/were useless and slow. I'd heard the same criticism of the ANMC as well. However this new, combined quango sounds worse than the two old ones put together.

I hope it all works out OK for everyone.

Cheers

Gill

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All

Good god. I'm a solicitor by background so I usually keep out of all of the threads involving medics because I never understand a word of what you are all talking about (doctors, nurses, radiographers etc) with the various skills assessments and registrations with the medical board in each State etc.

I've been seeing AHPRA or whatever it is in various thread-titles lately. I'd heard that the AMC are/were useless and slow. I'd heard the same criticism of the ANMC as well. However this new, combined quango sounds worse than the two old ones put together.

I hope it all works out OK for everyone.

Cheers

Gill

Has anyone here went Aussie on 457 visa this year?and from Asian countries?

As I am getting many GP'S jobs but is IELTS really necessary on going 457 visa?Has any indian or pakistani did IELTS for 457 visa?

pls. guide me..................

Guest man2010

As I am getting many GP'S jobs but is IELTS really necessary on going 457 visa?Has any indian or pakistani did IELTS for 457 visa?

This issue is discussed on another thread have a look:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/96839-help-doctors.html

Brill

Without wanting to sound nasty we have answered this question more than once in several threads and its starting to get rather tedious and the answer isn't going to change,

I have just managed to get a doctor from India a position in Adelaide and he came over to Australia on a 457 visa so it is possible and pretty straightforward.

As a GP I recommend that you sit your AMC MCQ exam and then contact the RACGP to get your overseas practice experience assessed, Once this is done apply to agencies.

As someone mentioned in your other post regarding IELTS, It is possible to get exemption but you would be far better off just sitting the exam and getting it out of the way. You won't get spnosorship for a 457 until you have sat your MCQ, got your EICS verification and also had your GP experience assessed by the RACGP.

Just to clarify are you actually a GP (Family Physician) or a doctor who hasn't specailised as in some countries India, Pakistan and the UAE the meaning of the title General Practitioner is very different to the meaning of the title in Australia, Canada, and Europe.

I would be happy to advise you as much as I can provided you don't write to me in capitals, I don't like shouting :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I am a gp in the uk and recently have a signed contract to work in Melton out west of Melbourne. I have just handed my notice in the other week - last day of work 15th April 2011! I was recruited by a uk company and things so far have seemed ok. I am looking for a good area to live to commute to Melton as we have 3 kids ( 8 , 6 and newborn) and need to be near a good school. Point cook looks nice from my Internet searches.

It would be nice to hear of other families living out west to make some contacts before coming over.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Daniel and Emma

Hi everyone,

This is the first time Ive posted on here. Im currently a GP ST3 and my husband and I are hoping to go to Australia after I finish in August 2011. I was wondering when it would be best to start applying for visas and jobs, as I am aware it takes some time to sort these things out!

We were thinking of maybe going for a year initially, but would love to move there long term if things work out.

We would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks, Emma

Hello Emma,

Make sure you have all your documents prior to applying. You need your mrcgp cert, I am going through the process at the moment. I am going through an agency who are going to sort out the visa for me. Different ozzy companies offer different incentives to get you to come over. Ihave spoken to most of them and have a good idea what deals are on offer. If you are after 1 to 2 years then a lot of the deals are similar. If you are after longer deals then I can certainly put you onto a great deal.

Guest man2010
Hi everyone,

This is the first time Ive posted on here. Im currently a GP ST3 and my husband and I are hoping to go to Australia after I finish in August 2011. I was wondering when it would be best to start applying for visas and jobs, as I am aware it takes some time to sort these things out!

We were thinking of maybe going for a year initially, but would love to move there long term if things work out.

We would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks, Emma

Hello Emma,

Make sure you have all your documents prior to applying. You need your mrcgp cert, I am going through the process at the moment. I am going through an agency who are going to sort out the visa for me. Different ozzy companies offer different incentives to get you to come over. Ihave spoken to most of them and have a good idea what deals are on offer. If you are after 1 to 2 years then a lot of the deals are similar. If you are after longer deals then I can certainly put you onto a great deal.

welcome to PIO Emma,

you can either DIY or use an agency like drneil has mentioned above. I used an agency and there's lots to choose from. Most will do it for free and I would recommend using one if you are busy,but it's certainly doable. MRCGP is useful because it opens more doors but I believe you still can register without it.on average,it takes about 6 months to complete the registration process that's before you start the visa process.

all the best,

Shylet

Guest Daniel and Emma

Thank you drneil and Shylet for your replies.

Did you both use Australian or UK agencies? Are they specifically GP recruitment agencies? I have only really looked at medacs so far but I havent registered with them yet as I still have about 9 months until I complete my MRCGP, and I didnt know if it would be too early.

Drneil - what kind of incentives have you been offered?

Are there any companies either of you would recommend I look at?

Thanks again for your help and Im sorry for all the questions!

Emma

Guest man2010
Thank you drneil and Shylet for your replies.

Did you both use Australian or UK agencies? Are they specifically GP recruitment agencies? I have only really looked at medacs so far but I havent registered with them yet as I still have about 9 months until I complete my MRCGP, and I didnt know if it would be too early.

Drneil - what kind of incentives have you been offered?

Are there any companies either of you would recommend I look at?

Thanks again for your help and Im sorry for all the questions!

Emma

I used International medical recruitment which caters for all medics including GPs.They matched my profile with various employers,practices and partnerships and organised interviews.They also helped with my registration and outsourced a migration agent.I looked at various agencies but IMR were very interactive and listened to what I was looking for.Am sure there's a lot of good agencies but I can certainly recomment IMR.

shylet.

Guest Daniel and Emma

Thanks Shylet. I searched for 'GP jobs in australia' and emailed a few today and IMR was the first one I looked at! Their website looked really good and had some useful information on it! It mentioned that their services are free - does that include the help with the visas? Do you know if they would also help with my husbands visa, who is not a doctor?

Thanks again for your help,

Emma

Guest man2010
Thanks Shylet. I searched for 'GP jobs in australia' and emailed a few today and IMR was the first one I looked at! Their website looked really good and had some useful information on it! It mentioned that their services are free - does that include the help with the visas? Do you know if they would also help with my husbands visa, who is not a doctor?

Thanks again for your help,

Emma

no the visa processing isn't free if the use a Migration Agent but am sure they can help you with general advice regarding visa's. I applied for PR so used MA but again this can be done without MA as it costs a lot of money using an agent.

happy to help if I can,

shylet.

Guest Daniel and Emma

Thank you again for all the information!

Im sure cdb wouldnt want to hear this (from a recruitment point of view!), but I was wondering about maternity leave and how it works for doctors?

We are not pregnant now or planning to be in the immediate future, but we we wondering how it would work for future reference! I have read that the paid maternity leave is only available for permanent residents, but would you need to have worked for the practice for a certain amount of time before you would be eligible? and would they be able to keep the job open for you during the maternity leave so you can return afterwards?

We dont have any children so we dont really know how it would work in the UK either, but we just thought we would ask!

Thanks,

Emma and Daniel

Not sure about Maternity leave, I'll find out for you, Apparantly at the moment non PR or citizens aren't entitled to it but some new legislation is due to be passed next year to change this. I think with doctors it will be done at practice level so i'll ask the question for you :)

Archived