Doctors' thread

Guest man2010

Guest man2010

I am new to PIO and i have found it helpful but i would like specific info for doctors,cos things work quite differently in oz. I am a GP,my husband a banker, 2 children a 7year old and 3 months old.I am applying for ENS 121 hoping to move to melbourne.

I will appreciate if doctors both in uk and oz can help (or from anywhere!)

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi man2010

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

You and Marzoom might be able to help one another:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/marzoom.html

Marzoom is a 37 year old British lady who is also a full time GP. She plans to head for Adelaide, since she has family there.

I have not heard from Marzoom since before Christmas. The last I heard was that she was about to apply for her Australian Medical Council skills assessment:

Medical Practitioner - General Medical Practitioner 2311-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Some GPs say that AMC assessments can take up to a year to be processed. However my impression is that whilst this may be true for doctors from some countries. I think the skills assessment is usually fairly quick for a doctor who has been trained in the UK.

Now then! I'm a UK-trained lawyer by background. Therefore you will not be surprised to learn that I go to my GP if I have a meds problem but beyond that I don't know a thing about medicine and I don't know anything about the training for doctors.

The snippets that I know about visa applications for doctors come from Madhu on British Expats to be honest:

Parent Visa Police checks & Medicals : British Expat Discussion Forum

Madhu is a British-trained GP, who is now a GP in Oz. About the visa process, Madhu dealt with the whole thing on her own but she says:

1. The AMC assessment is quite easy and quick if you have trained in the UK.

2. The doctor who did the training is also the best person to do that doctor's AMC skills assessment, since Madhu couldn't find anyone who understands the training that she did better than Madhu herself understands it. (ie Nobody else had a clue what she was talking about, which fact would apply equally to you and Marzoom.)

3. Madhu - always and greatly - recommends a website called DoctorConnect:

DoctorConnect - Home page

Apparently it is the best tool possible for a doctor who wants to migrate. I've glanced at it, find it too esoteric for me so I've never explored DoctorConnect but Madhu is extremely sensible and bright, so I believe her assertion that the website is worthwhile.

I am 90% sure that new members on PiO have to make 15 posts on the public boards before you can send PMs to another member. There are internet robots called Spambots. Given half a chance, a Spambot joins PM and promptly sends private messages to loads of members. (The content being the usual spammers rubbish about the End of the World is Nigh but God is Beautiful etc.)

Various software detectors used on PiO will pick up a Spambot on the public boards and if we know about them we get rid of them. However Private Messages are not monitored in any way, so the 15 posts rule is designed to prevent Spambots in your PM inbox.

Make 14 short, rubbish posts, I suggest. Then you should be able to PM Marzoom.

Cheers

Gill

Guest man2010

Thank you Gill for your detailed reply. My name is Shylet.I will follow up the links and try to contact marzoom. I am just amazed there are no doctors on the forum,apart from marzoom of course.Maybe it's true us docs are antisocial!The nurses thread puts my thread to shame!

Anyway, there's a start, perhaps now doctors will crawl out of the woods and join me on the forum.Its hard to find info for doctors such as what you have outlined.

I am using a recruitment consultant called international medical recruitment and they are helping me with the skills assessment,registeration with proffessional medical bodies and application of the visa.I got my job with my sponsor through them too.so far so good.

What i really need is information with regard to working as GP in oz,the difference in medical care,primary care politics etc. I am looking forward to contacting marzoom. I wonder if its possible for you to get her to contact me if she qualifies for sending private messages? This will be quicker.

Shylet.

The best way would be to go via the migration agents for doctors. Lots of experience - for a price - at getting things sorted. If you have MRCGP, you can be awarded FRACGP "ad eundum graduum" which then gives you the right to be considered for vocational registration, which opens up the areas you can work for. Try to get permanent residence before you arrive - again, for locum work it opens up the areas of work. Other than that, there is currently a 10 year moratorium on working anywhere else apart from areas of need, district workforce shortage etc. That may change, as the need for GPs is huge, and there is pressure to get a fair treatment for all - international medical graduates too. Good luck!

Guest man2010

Thanx everyone! I guess you are right Pablo,sometimes GPs can be patronising i agree but then its difficult in this line of job to get it right all the time!

Thanx Docboat for the valuable info,are you a GP by any chance? I do have MRCGP and my agent has asured me it shouldnt take too long to register with the royal college in oz.Also, apparently the definition of "area of need" has evolved significantly. I have a job in Melbourne about 25miles from the CBD and this area fall within this definition.Its driven by demand as you rightly mentioned and a prospective employer or business can apply for this designition as long as they can demonstrate the need in the area.

Aldo, i dont get it,what's a doctor of lurrrrveee? I am a bit slow you see!

Thanx everyone! I guess you are right Pablo,sometimes GPs can be patronising i agree but then its difficult in this line of job to get it right all the time!

Thanx Docboat for the valuable info,are you a GP by any chance? I do have MRCGP and my agent has asured me it shouldnt take too long to register with the royal college in oz.Also, apparently the definition of "area of need" has evolved significantly. I have a job in Melbourne about 25miles from the CBD and this area fall within this definition.Its driven by demand as you rightly mentioned and a prospective employer or business can apply for this designition as long as they can demonstrate the need in the area.

Aldo, i dont get it,what's a doctor of lurrrrveee? I am a bit slow you see!

The ladies come to me when they want to bring a little spice into their life.

I usually prescribe something for them to take orally:wink:

Guest man2010

you are very funny Aldo,am also a bit gullible you see so would say yes your job description qualifies i guess!:unsure:

you are very funny Aldo,am also a bit gullible you see so would say yes your job description qualifies i guess!:unsure:

I thought you where falling for the aldo charm for a minute... then i saw the "man" bit in your user name. Now i feel a bit weird, i wouldn't say dirty, just weird.

Guest man2010

the man bit in my username is short for manx from the Isle of man! am sure u ask where the hell is that! I get this response often but a few people know where this, on the west coast of UK.people from the Isle of man are called manx.Yes I am female actually!

Anyone frm the Isle of man?

the man bit in my username is short for manx from the Isle of man! am sure u ask where the hell is that! I get this response often but a few people know where this, on the west coast of UK.people from the Isle of man are called manx.Yes I am female actually!

Anyone frm the Isle of man?

Your called "beans" by scousers ,iknow that much,i just dont know why:goofy:

Guest man2010

this shortcut "man" is actually commoly used in the isle of man. Yes moved from mainland 4yrs ago,moved for GP job.

Do u know anyone who got or applied for ENS 121.

this shortcut "man" is actually commoly used in the isle of man. Yes moved from mainland 4yrs ago,moved for GP job.

Do u know anyone who got or applied for ENS 121.

I got my visa back in june 08,a lots changed since,as you will know,not up to speed now.

Have you done a search on ENS121? you should fly straight in being a doc i would've thought?

Guest man2010

I hope you are right Pablo cos in my head, i have moved to oz already so this waiting game is going to kill me! i will check out the ENS 121 thread.

Guest sunnyday
I thought you where falling for the aldo charm for a minute... then i saw the "man" bit in your user name. Now i feel a bit weird, i wouldn't say dirty, just weird.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest musbury

Hi Man2010,

I've just joined the forum. I'm not a Doctor, but my husband is. He is a GP, and we are moving to Oz. Although he applied to DWS areas, he managed to secure a job in Mornington (Mornington Peninsula which is not part of DWS. He applied thorough an agency. Which part of Oz are you planning to Move? We chose Melbourne, as we dont like it too hot and love the 4 seasons.

xx

Guest man2010

Hi Mulsbury,

we are moving to melbourne.got a job in manor lakes.We cant live too far away from the CBD cos hubby needs job in banking/finance. when do you move? I need to start in August but i dont think its feasible cos visa is not ready.

Archived