Shipping a Tempur mattress

sarahjl

Hi, we had a bloke round the other day to give us a quote for shipping our belongings and he said that they have had problems with shipping Tempur mattresses as they cannot be stored on their side during transit because the springs move. (I'm not aware of them having any springs!) He wants to charge an extra £80 to put it in a crate so that it can be stored flat. Has anyone else heard of this as I dont want to pay the extra money if I don't have to!

Thanks

Sarah :huh:

Lol I have just been on their website and it doesn't mention Springs at all, the whole point of them is they are made of foam, usually 2 layers of different viscocity.

I would tell him it doesn't need a crate just wrapping like most household items.

Guest tiddywiddy
Hi, we had a bloke round the other day to give us a quote for shipping our belongings and he said that they have had problems with shipping Tempur mattresses as they cannot be stored on their side during transit because the springs move. (I'm not aware of them having any springs!) He wants to charge an extra £80 to put it in a crate so that it can be stored flat. Has anyone else heard of this as I dont want to pay the extra money if I don't have to!

Thanks

Hi

We have a tempur HD Mattress & bed base, that we would like to bring & there is no springs in the mattress, its High Dentisy foam, (stupid man, hence memory foam mattress), sounds abit odd to me. Given me food for though of how would they would store it, as it is sooooo heavy, almost like a soaking wet kinda weight, if that makes any sense???:wacko:

Guest stmatt

Hi

We shipped on over just wrapped in a paper blanket and pushed in sideways. I've been sleeping on it for a few months now and it feels the same as ever.

Guest guest33730

Mmmm Not sure about this but my mattress has a spring base with a tempur upper which supposedly has the best of both worlds (or so the blurb told me) However if that is the case it stands to reason then the weight of tempur top would pull the springs downwards if it was kept on it's side for any length of time thus putting it out of shape.

In short I'm not sure but the shipping estimator may not be trying to fleece you and in fact could be right.

Daniel

Guest The Ritchies

We took our memory foam mattress ( Springs with a memory foam topper), and our container arrived on Wednesday and it was just packed normally. Have been sleeping on it since then with no problems.

Wendy

The only time our mattress got ruined (ie horrid to sleep on after) was when it was stored on it's side.

Since then we've always had it put into the container last, slid on top of the boxes so it lays flat near the roof.

Tempur or not I'd always want mine shipped that way from now on.

Thanks

They don't have springs. We had ours in storage for well over a year. Come back as good as gold. Would have thought it would have been stored on it's side.

We were told that going through tropics could have an affect on any mattress.

we used Crown and they were very good

Hi, I had a reply from Tempur customer services this week and they recomend that the mattress is stored or transported flat. So I will stop thinking that the guy from the shipping company is trying to fleece me!

Sarah

We did the same as Basil. It was wrapped normally for export then, after everything else was packed, it slid in on top of everything else.

I remember being told when we bought it that if we moved (which we do all the time!!!) it would have to travel that way. It arrived in Sydney in the same condition it left the UK and has just been taken down to Melbourne and arrived ok.

Oh, and it didn't cost any more to ship than a normal mattress!

Archived