Halls Creek. Advice please.

Guest kgriff

Hi everyone,

So, we arrive in WA at the end of April and will be staying in Halls Creek to start off with as my partner's parent is there.

Have done limited research on the net about the place, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of positive information.

Any help from someone who lives or has lived there , or even visited there would be great. Any information at all, good or bad regarding anything.:huh:

Cheers,

Keith

Only Hall's Creek I know is the one in The East Kimberley... It is hot, dry and dusty in summer and cold and dusty in winter. There are about 1200 people who live there, of those, roughly 800 are of Aboriginal descent. Used to go there often in the 1960s and early 70s, working for the Main Roads Dept.

Oh...red sand and red rock, as it is semi desert...

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Keith,

I lived in Halls Creek for six years to Aug 2008.

It is also the only town in Halls Creek shire, which is about the size of England.

HC is a mostly Aboriginal town, it also services Aboriginal communities, pastoral stations and a few mines in the Shire.

HC has had a reputation as a rowdy, lawless place but has quietened down dramatically now that takeaway alcohol sales have been banned - you can only drink at the bar or buy mid-strength beer.

Make sure you have an internet banking account and a cheque book 'cos the nearest bank is 359km away in Kununurra. There is no newsagent and probably still nowhere to get a haircut either. People often drive to Kununurra for shopping every few weeks.

This is happening more and more now with the grog bans - if you have to drive that far to get a carton of beer or a bottle of scotch, why not do all your other shopping as well, where prices are much lower?

On the plus side you can still find gold in the hills, and there are still plenty of old folk who speak their Aboriginal languages and are happy to share the names of plants and animals with a polite stranger.

There is a rodeo once a year and a picnic race meeting, and plenty of opportunity to play basketball, golf and Australian rules football.

There are two world-famous Aboriginal art centres in the Shire, and a couple of newer ones as well.

Regards,

Geoff Vivian

News and information from Western Australia’s Kimberley Region » Kimberley Page

• 2 weeks later...

Wow going to Halls Creek, I hope this isn't your first trip to Oz because you will be in for a real eye opener in Halls Creek!! Don't know what your relatives do and don't get me wrong the Kimberley region is beautiful but I wouldn't recommend it for first timers.

If you love camping, fishing and the outdoors generally it is a beautiful area but Halls Creek does not have much to offer a migrant.

How long are you planning to spend there?

We are unsure how long we will be in Halls Creek. It seems like a good place to start from as we would have to visit there to see my partners parent anyway.

Luckily its not my 1st visit to oz, although the furthest outback I had been before was Balranald in Nsw for a couple of weeks, so i'm sure it will be a bit of a shock anyway.

We plan to travel the West Coast for a couple of months down to Perth. We both work in hospitality, so hope to pick up jobs on the way. We are both easy though, so maybe we will find somewhere we like and stay for a while.

We are unsure how long we will be in Halls Creek. It seems like a good place to start from as we would have to visit there to see my partners parent anyway.

Luckily its not my 1st visit to oz, although the furthest outback I had been before was Balranald in Nsw for a couple of weeks, so i'm sure it will be a bit of a shock anyway.

We plan to travel the West Coast for a couple of months down to Perth. We both work in hospitality, so hope to pick up jobs on the way. We are both easy though, so maybe we will find somewhere we like and stay for a while.

Dont take this as a flippant comment but where on the west coast before perth , Grealdton , then perth not really big tourist places with hotels alot of small pension types and camp sites , few hotels at coral bay but only small

As i said, we are easy. Not picky where we work, or don't work. Its more about the travelling at this stage. Work is not the priority, so its not as if we have to get jobs in every place we stop.

Have spoken to a few places and been offered jobs already, so I don't think we are going to struggle. Do you work in hospitality? contacts are always good if you do.

Kalbarri is a nice spot

Coral Bay has already been mentioned and is nice but very small

Geraldton is bigger and would have more opportunities

We also travelled Austraila, it's great fun - Take loads of pics and then the memories will live on - Enjoy and have a read of our blog if you like

Guest Bob Tonnor

Hi there,

I thinks its excellent that your off trying something different, i have lived in a few small places out in the bush, sometimes it works sometimes not, but at least you know and have tried, have a look at this it might help, Location Lowdown | Halls Creek WA Australia Real Estate | Halls Creek WA Australia Immigration | Halls Creek WA Australia Relocation .

Good on yer for giving it a go, i hope you really enjoy yourself.

Bob

Guest kgriff

Thanks for the positive post Bob,

I guess if we never try, we'll never know. The way we look at it, is if we hate it there, we will just move on somewhere else. We have no ties as such and count ourselves very lucky to be in a position to do this.It feels like an adventure and what could be better than that!

Just over six weeks till we leave and I'm getting more excited by the day.

Cheers,

Keith

Archived