making phone calls in oz

davet19650

Hi All

just wondering what is the best and cheapest way of making calls in oz,

Do we take our own unlocked mobile and buy there equivelant to our pay and go and what is there best network, or a phone card or similar to use in pay phones, 99% of our calls are going to be in oz to realestate agents, employers etc,

We are heading to Perth in case that makes any differance in networks from state to state havnt a clue as never been before,

Any help gladly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

depending what phone you have , get them unlocked and go with pay as you go for a start (its called recharge here ) i had o2 phone so i used a *yes optus* package here and oh went with *vodaphone*. you have register them here as well , unlike uk where you pop in sim and make a call . we now have contract phones with crazy johns .

very easy though , and buy an ozcall voucher from iga for landline calls back to uk etc .

Guest guest30038

Landline calls vary from 22 to 25cents for unlimited time........the easiest way to go if you expect a long conversation. They alsoo offer "named country" which allows for cheaper calls to the country of your choice, so if you called rellies in the uk a lot, you just name that as your country and beofre dialling the number, you dial in a code (for that country) that automatically puts you on to the cheap call.

Mobiles? The plans are many and varied, you just pick one that suits, so shop around as many tie you to a contract that costs, if you feel a need to break it.

kev

Guest JamesGong

Will you have broadband internet connected where you will be living in Perth? You can get even cheaper fixed price local and national calls with Voice over IP (VoIP) - e.g. 10c anywhere in OZ. Our home phone plugs straight into our broadband modem but we use it like a normal phone and still have a real local phone number that people call us on. For mobile it pays to shop around and if you are in metro area, then you will have plenty of choice for capped plans. Still, I think landline to landline calls will be cheaper than mobile to landline overall.

• 2 weeks later...

ask your own provider how much per minute from your mobile to auz mobile , if your on a good plan it could work out same or not much difference as the auz companies charge yu for phoning a number and no answer and other things yu dont get in the uk ,as i found out to my cost lol

Archived