Calling all those helpful Melbournians :-D

munchkinpie

Hi Everyone!

Hoping someone out there can help us with some advice and suggestions.

We have decided that Melbourne is our choice destination (choice between there, Sydney and Adelaide)

I have read loads about it on Web and looked at loads of maps etc and it just seems the right place for our family.

My oh will likely be working in CBD as thats where the companies in his field seem to be based. Ideally commute would be 30-40 mins by train if possible.

We have 3 kids - girls aged 12 and 10 and a little boy of 15 months. We are looking for a family friendly area with good schools, ammenities etc. The girls are keen dancers, gymnasts, cheerleeding and enjoy drama. OH is big fan of mountain biking and running. ( I just about catch my breath on a good day!!!)

We will be looking to rent initially so any info or suggestions would be greatly recommended. We are over for holiday in April 2011 (unless by some miracle from above I win the lottery or oh gets job offer before then)

I need to start scoping out potential areas etc as I am building up a portfolio and just dont know where to start :unsure:

xxx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and congratulations on choosing Melbourne, it was a great decision:wink:

It helps to know what kind of budget you will have for a rental, how far away from the beach you want to be etc.

A couple of suburbs that I would recommend are:

Berwick, great schools, great family suburb, lots of sports activities, 25 mins to nearest beach, 5 minutes to countryside. Hospital, TAFE etc.

Lynbrook - Again an excellent family suburb lots of community feeling, a great school, 15 minutes to the beach, 15 minutes to Fountain Gate Shopping Centre and 20 minutes to the Dandenong Ranges.

A lot of expats also choose Cranbourne and Narre Warren South. Mornington, Mt ELiza and Mt Martha are gorgeous suburbs but if your OH is working in the CBD it would be a long commute.

Other places to try are:

McKinnon

Mordialloc

Doncaster

Lilydale

There are lots to be honest.

Kate:wubclub:

We have just settled in Berwick and love it! Have found everyone helpful and friendly so far. Getting rental was surprisingly easy (given other people's experiences), primary school so far has been good - need to investigate high schools yet and there are so many and all with various fees! There ia a school website which compares schools, but I am not keen on league tables!! OH will be commuting into CBD when current job in Glen Waverley finishes, think it is about 50 minutes/1 hour (may be shorter than that), costs apparently $10 a day which compares more than favourably with UK rail fares!!

If you want to know anything then PM me and I will attempt to answer queries, or I will draw on the knowledge of others!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the journey!!!

Karen x

Morning/Evening Kate and Karen

Just scrapping my jaw off the floor while trying to ressucitate my oh!:shocked:

$10 for a journey thats almost an hour commute .....dear goodness oh is currently spending £350 a month for a 30 mins commute then still has to cycle for half hour as it would another £30 a week otherwise!

Thanks for all the ideas and ive just looked at what we could afford very easily in Berwick and Im a smiling bunny!

Got to have a look at some more of the suggestions and ill be sure to fire back more questions soon

xxx

We are in ELtham, we like it as it is really green but to us suburbia, I have spoken to people who live in places like Kew who think it is too rural! What suits one...

Here there are loads of areas for mountain biking, gym clubs, swimming pools, parks the list is endless but I would say that is pretty similar for most outer areas of the city . Eltham also has the Eltham little theatre and nearby Warrandyte has a very active Am Dramatics place. We are about 40 minutes from the nearest beach. The train in is about 40 minutes if you get the express.

Schools, you will need to decide if you want to use the state schools or private, I have to say the cost of some private education here is much, much more affordable that the UK, especially if you are educating 3 children!

From our experience don't bank on your OH working in the CBD, we thought my husband would be he works about 30 minutes drive from us in Craigiburn.

Alot of it will come down to cost, the nearer the CBD the more expensive it is. Melbourne is huge, you can drive about 2 hours from Werribee to Frankston which are the last suburbs. I prefer the North East but that is because it suits our family.

You will have a wonderful holiday, there is so much to do in Melbourne I am sure you will like it. April is a nice time of year, the extreme heat has gone (hopefully! but it is still t shirt weather and for some of us Poms is beach weather!)

Best of luck

Michelle

I would look at the Metlink site which gives all the routes and information about public transport in Melbourne area. http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ you are then able to follow the routes out and find out how long it takes and look at suburbs along these routes.

Realestate.com.au wiill give you an idea of rental types and rent in any area that you are interested in.

As a guide, the Frankston rail line follows the beach suburbs down to Frankston, Dandenong line goes out to Berwick, Cranbourne, Pakenham and beyond.

Glen Waverly line is a good one to live on for ease of access to the city.

Do not forget to look to the north and western areas as well.

Good luck

We originally looked at Wyndham Lakes/Werribee area and liked it but OH's job was in Glen Waverley/CBD and so we plumped for Berwick. Look at Manor Lakes/Sanctuary Lakes which will give you an idea of costs there. We prefer new houses/estates, others like the country, and others like the beach - you have the choice of all of them here!

Karen x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We are also looking at Werribbee/Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes areas. There are good beaches, shopping & schools, PLUS only a 30 min drive into Melbourne.

I have to say currently that you need a car as transport links into the city arent fab from what I here, although there is a tram/train into the city from Werribbee on a regular basis. And that can only improve.

Good luck

Elaine

hi there x

we are currently moving to karringal next week and my hubby works in to cbd every day although he has a company van and uses the east link with e-tag paid through work and only in company hours every day and it takes him about 40 mins (but otherwise it would take about another 15-20 mins as long as lights are on green hope this helps !!!)

carole

Guest sharpie76
Hi and congratulations on choosing Melbourne, it was a great decision:wink:

It helps to know what kind of budget you will have for a rental, how far away from the beach you want to be etc.

A couple of suburbs that I would recommend are:

Berwick, great schools, great family suburb, lots of sports activities, 25 mins to nearest beach, 5 minutes to countryside. Hospital, TAFE etc.

Lynbrook - Again an excellent family suburb lots of community feeling, a great school, 15 minutes to the beach, 15 minutes to Fountain Gate Shopping Centre and 20 minutes to the Dandenong Ranges.

A lot of expats also choose Cranbourne and Narre Warren South. Mornington, Mt ELiza and Mt Martha are gorgeous suburbs but if your OH is working in the CBD it would be a long commute.

Other places to try are:

McKinnon

Mordialloc

Doncaster

Lilydale

There are lots to be honest.

Hi I am currently going through the company sponsorship route with work and will be moving to melbourne sometime soon can anyone give good advice on best places to live and secondary schools for my 13 year old daughter, i have looked at several suburbs such as werribee,hoppers crossing but not knowing the area im not sure if these will be ideal. I am a sales representative so i dont mind travelling as i will be covering Victoria and Tasmania as a territory. My partner will have to find work once we move so transport links may be good for him unless he can also get a company transfer.:spinny:

Thanks Nicki

Hi Nicki

We looked at Werribee/Wyndham Lakes area and really liked it, but it would have meant a long commute for OH as he works in Glen Waverley. It is a great location for the CBD which is what drew us over there in the first place. As you say your job is a roaming one it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing which may change it is your OH's job when he gets one.

With regards to schools we were going to send ours to Manor Lakes school and were also looking at Werribee Secondary on Duncan's Road (?), it was considered to be a really good school but if you are living in Wyndham or Manor Lakes where we liked it was out of catchment. But they do have a selected entry programme (ask Kate from M2M about schools she knows the Prinicpal there quite well after having numerous conversations on my behalf).

We ended up in Berwick and are looking at High schools at the moment, we like the look of Beaconhills college which is fee paying but not as high as Haileybury (way out of our league) College! There are some good secondary schools around but you may need to rent in the zone and that sometimes adds to your costs (as in the UK).

Good Luck with your search.

Karen x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi I am currently going through the company sponsorship route with work and will be moving to melbourne sometime soon can anyone give good advice on best places to live and secondary schools for my 13 year old daughter, i have looked at several suburbs such as werribee,hoppers crossing but not knowing the area im not sure if these will be ideal. I am a sales representative so i dont mind travelling as i will be covering Victoria and Tasmania as a territory. My partner will have to find work once we move so transport links may be good for him unless he can also get a company transfer.:spinny:

Thanks Nicki

Hi Nicki

Fingers crossed for your visa application. Do you have any idea on budget for a rental? You mentioned covering all of Victoria and Tasmania, that is one large area for you to cover:shocked:

Guest sharpie76

Hi Yeah fingers crossed on visa i think it will be fine being a company sponsored visa. yes we have a budget for rental as little as possible :) about $300 per week we have seen some new properties in werribee for that so should be ok, im only basing this on one salary at the minute although my OH hopes to also get a transfer with his company to Melbourne. yeah i know the territory will certainly be larger than the uk should keep me busy!!!! Thanks for the link. :)

Guest sharpie76
Hi Nicki

We looked at Werribee/Wyndham Lakes area and really liked it, but it would have meant a long commute for OH as he works in Glen Waverley. It is a great location for the CBD which is what drew us over there in the first place. As you say your job is a roaming one it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing which may change it is your OH's job when he gets one.

With regards to schools we were going to send ours to Manor Lakes school and were also looking at Werribee Secondary on Duncan's Road (?), it was considered to be a really good school but if you are living in Wyndham or Manor Lakes where we liked it was out of catchment. But they do have a selected entry programme (ask Kate from M2M about schools she knows the Prinicpal there quite well after having numerous conversations on my behalf).

We ended up in Berwick and are looking at High schools at the moment, we like the look of Beaconhills college which is fee paying but not as high as Haileybury (way out of our league) College! There are some good secondary schools around but you may need to rent in the zone and that sometimes adds to your costs (as in the UK).

Good Luck with your search.

Karen x

Hi karen thanks for the info, we are too looking at the Werribee secondary school on duncans road, i will get in touch with kate and see if she can tell me more, do you know how much the fees are for this school? I hoping we can rent in werribee so my daughter will be able to attend the school fingers crossed. got to get the visa's out of the way first, its a nightmare tying everything up. Thanks for your help.:jiggy:

Hi Nicki

I am not sure about the fees for the school, although it is a Government school so (shouldn't) be exorbitant! I do know a fellow PIO who's son goes there, and I think the uniform is not cheap (although that goes for most schools here) but I have also been informed to keep all receipts realting to education costs as they can be included in your tax return - will find out in June/July how that all works!!

I know the catchment area was something like below the Railway line and along Hacketts (?) Road, that is just from memory as I haven't got the emails anymore.

Good luck with things, they will all be worth it when you finally arrive.

Karen x

Guest SO,DIZZY

One mans meet is another man"s poision so to speak google earth things and then decide how far away from cbd you want to be.. most ares have great links to kids activities through school etc but stay on main train lines for work buses are crap.. and car comute can be a hastle.. best to get here first take a short 6 month lease if you can and find your feet .. stay central and take it from there kids clubs activities will come later... but dont be too central its expensive diverse and for backpackers....

Hi Everyone!

Hoping someone out there can help us with some advice and suggestions.

We have decided that Melbourne is our choice destination (choice between there, Sydney and Adelaide)

I have read loads about it on Web and looked at loads of maps etc and it just seems the right place for our family.

My oh will likely be working in CBD as thats where the companies in his field seem to be based. Ideally commute would be 30-40 mins by train if possible.

We have 3 kids - girls aged 12 and 10 and a little boy of 15 months. We are looking for a family friendly area with good schools, ammenities etc. The girls are keen dancers, gymnasts, cheerleeding and enjoy drama. OH is big fan of mountain biking and running. ( I just about catch my breath on a good day!!!)

We will be looking to rent initially so any info or suggestions would be greatly recommended. We are over for holiday in April 2011 (unless by some miracle from above I win the lottery or oh gets job offer before then)

I need to start scoping out potential areas etc as I am building up a portfolio and just dont know where to start :unsure:

xxx

Near a train station no more than15 kms from the city as any further out will take longer than you're desired timeframe. Move within walking distance of a train station or you may have problems parking etc.

Go East if possible, if you cant afford that go North.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi karen thanks for the info, we are too looking at the Werribee secondary school on duncans road, i will get in touch with kate and see if she can tell me more, do you know how much the fees are for this school? I hoping we can rent in werribee so my daughter will be able to attend the school fingers crossed. got to get the visa's out of the way first, its a nightmare tying everything up. Thanks for your help.:jiggy:

Fees are around $200 per year, you will find that not all of the fees are compulsory.

It is a zoned school, if you need me to send you a copy of the zoning just drop me a pm. However, there is a way of getting in if you do live outside the area, again if you want more details just drop me a line. It is the best school in the area andone that I would be happy to send my children to if we lived in that area.

Hi Im Mel I have 2 kids 15yrs & 9yrs both girls we are living in Adelaide have been for 6yrs and are now going to move to Melbourne. Im bit nervous but hopefully will meet some people soon.

I have just been looking at some of the suburbs that you guys have posted, sound good.

Has there been anybody that has moved from Adelaide to Melbourne if so what do you think of the move

good are bad

Mel

Guest neil and maureen troup

might i suggest the eastern suburbs that is where our son stays and hopefully if we sell our house this spring so will we. depending on your budget they get nicer the nearer the city, but middle of the road is blackburn or nunawadding ,both 30 mins to city centre and lovely places to stay with plenty schools private and council. all day tickets are approx 9 dollars which covers train tram and bus, but are cheaper if you buy weekly , monthly , or 3 monthly , hope this helps , neil and maureen

Dear Friends,

i am from south india,I got my visa .Two days before.I want to settle my life in Melbourne.In whcih placelot of indian community living? .Anybody give me suggestions....Thanks in advance

Ritu

ritu Melbourne covers a very large area so it will depend on where you will be working and how long you want to take to get to work. Once you are working you will find the ideal place to live and will find friends in your community quite easily. Australians are very friendly people on an individual basis and the Melbourne population is from all over the world. Some suburbs do run along ethnic lines but not entirely you get a mix in every suburb. Springvale is predominantly indo chinese due to the good food shops and market there and the fact that the migrant hostel used to be there. North Dandenong, Keysborough, Endeavour Hills are popular areas for a lot of people from India, Southern Europe, Afghanistan etc as there is quite a lot of work in the area around Dandenong.

A lot of professionals like living in Doncaster, Balwyn, Camberwell, etc to be near to the good private schools.

If you were to be working in the City then you could look at the western suburbs but I do not know which ones are popular with people from India, hopefully someone will come on and give you some idea.

Anyway look at realestate.com.au its a start. Once you know where you will be working post again.

Archived