Childs school fees on a Student Visa?

Jo&Rich

Hi, hope someone has some knowledge they can share on this please.

We have a friend who is looking to come over to the Gold Coast on a student visa, but is unsure about how much the school fees for their children would cost.

They have three kids, two in primary, one in high school, and been quoted I think about $8000 per year per child to put their kids in a public school. Private schools quoted higher.

They have been told however by a migration agent that this is the fee structure set by law, and it could possibly be negotiated down by speaking to the school directly.

Has anyone actually come over on a student visa and done this, or has everyone had to pay full fees?

Thanks, Jo

Guest valleylass

Hi

We don't have personal experience but a friend of ours was in exactly the same situation and has just paid $16000 for his two children to attend public school for the year ($8000 each). He didn't manage to get a reduction but if school ask for a donation or any other payment he cites the wad of cash he has already paid and this usually means they don't have to cough up any more. It's a lot of money though...

valleylass

Guest neilalys

we just paid $8000 a child ,school only gets $500 a child , dont know where the rest goes , its a hard way to come with only 20 hrs a week work and my wife the student could do 20 hrs trouble is after a week at college only leaves the weekend to work, 3 girls in school , my casual wage just covers rent, you need a big wad of cash to get by , and 2nd year school fees to , were about 3 months in , i cant find a way to get a permanent job or visa to allow me to work full time and the money goes down fast , good luck

Don't forget they are also payable on bridging visa! Even graduate 485 visa s are taking 12 months to process now, so they must budget for the extra 12 months.

Having done the student route i would not advise anyone to go down this route it is just too stressful especially with kids:)

Archived