Permanent resident getting super back when move back to the UK

Guest ollie247

Guest rache&matt

Hi,

Does anyone know the answer to this question in the reverse?

We are going to Australia, my husband is australian and a permanent resident of the UK.

Can he get his UK super out when we leave the UK?

It feels the same this way around, no body really wants to give you the information!!!

Thanks

Rache

Guest rache&matt

Oh, I forgot to mention, I lived in Brissi 9 years ago and did cash in my super fund to bring back, I had to book my one way flight to prove I was leaving but they did it no problem. I was on an employer sponsorship at the time.

Guest Guest31881
Hi,

Does anyone know the answer to this question in the reverse?

We are going to Australia, my husband is australian and a permanent resident of the UK.

Can he get his UK super out when we leave the UK?

It feels the same this way around, no body really wants to give you the information!!!

Thanks

Rache

Yes, there are companies who will sort this out for you, but beware of the charges involved not just the exchange rate but the fees charged for the service.

Guest rache&matt
Yes, there are companies who will sort this out for you, but beware of the charges involved not just the exchange rate but the fees charged for the service.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, do you know the companies?

Can we get cash for his super or do we have to transfer to Aus super fund?

To be hnest we could do with the cash for relocation costs!

Rache

Guest Guest31881
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, do you know the companies?

Can we get cash for his super or do we have to transfer to Aus super fund?

To be hnest we could do with the cash for relocation costs!

Rache

Sorry you cannot have the cash, I believe it has to be transfered to another super fund. I do not know any companies, but there are many who advertise the service. But I have heard horror stories of people losing 40% of money in fees, would have been better off leaving here and claiming when old enough. If you decide to go this route, get a few estimates and check the companies out .

Guest rache&matt
Sorry you cannot have the cash, I believe it has to be transfered to another super fund. I do not know any companies, but there are many who advertise the service. But I have heard horror stories of people losing 40% of money in fees, would have been better off leaving here and claiming when old enough. If you decide to go this route, get a few estimates and check the companies out .

Oh b***a !!! Thanks for the advice.

Between us we will have super funds all over the place, gets quite confusing.

• 7 years later...

Hi I worked in Melbourne for 5 years from 2000 to  2005  and had permanent residency . I was not allowed to take my superannuation out until my retirement . But I have since heard that as my residency has run out as i have not renewed it in the five years since returning to the U.K  that I can claim it back before retirement. I have e mailed the VISSF and am awaiting an answer.

53 minutes ago, sharon Ashworth said:

Hi I worked in Melbourne for 5 years from 2000 to  2005  and had permanent residency . I was not allowed to take my superannuation out until my retirement . But I have since heard that as my residency has run out as i have not renewed it in the five years since returning to the U.K  that I can claim it back before retirement. I have e mailed the VISSF and am awaiting an answer.

I am afraid not. Even if you were to formally relinquish your visa it doesn't matter, it is the status you were on when you paid it. The only people who can claim it back are those who returned while only ever having a temp visa such a 457. Though in such cases it is often not a good idea as it is heavily taxed.

Archived