anothe should i stay or go question?

Guest jade2030

Guest jade2030

hi , i am just looking for advice and views?! me and my partner have been here roughly 6 year we are citizens now and we have a little girl who is 9 months, trouble is i miss my family sooooooooo much and just dont and never have felt settled here, and now its worse with my little girl.

my partner never wanted to go back he loves it here, but he has recently said he will so we are trying to decide what to do, i would really like to start my own buisness, but it would mean putting my little girl in day care 5 days a week because we dont have anyone who can look after her, so we thought if we go back we have family who can help out, but we are nervous with the market , and weather a retail buisness will work in the north there, deep down i have never settled i miss my family being in my babys life, i feel guilty and i was so homesick at xmas and i wanted it to be wonderfull for her first xmas, my heart is in the uk, but i also do love it here.

Trouble is mainly everyone says not to go back there and how lucky we are out here, but i dont feel that way when i have no family to share the good times with, and i am aware it will be a struggle, but i miss the cold weather, i live in queensland and have some wonderfull friends, but as much as my family annoy me when we go for a holiday in the uk, i miss the normal family fueds, so just wanna no does anyone think we are silly to give it all up and struggle in the uk and do you think a small retail (fashion) shop will work there in lancashire. sorry its a bit long winded only just found this site and its great!!!!! thanks all x:nah:

hi , i am just looking for advice and views?! me and my partner have been here roughly 6 year we are citizens now and we have a little girl who is 9 months, trouble is i miss my family sooooooooo much and just dont and never have felt settled here, and now its worse with my little girl.

my partner never wanted to go back he loves it here, but he has recently said he will so we are trying to decide what to do, we have been saving for a long time to start a buisness here, but its so hard with the baby and i just dont want to put here in day care 5 days a week, and we dont have anyone who can look after her, so we thought if we go back we have family who can help out, but we are nervous with the market , wether a retail buisness will work in the north there, deep down i have never settled i miss my family being in my babys life, i feel guilty and i was so homesick at xmas and i wanted it to be wonderfull for her first xmas, my heart is in the uk, but i also do love it here.

Trouble is mainly everyone says not to go back there and how lucky we are out here, but i dont feel that way when i have no family to share the good times with, and i am aware it will be a struggle, but i miss the cold weather, i live on the gold coast and have some wonderfull friends, but as much as my family annoy me when we go for a holiday in the uk, i miss that the normal family fueds, so just wanna no does anyone think we are silly to give it all up and struggle in the uk and do you think a small retail (fashion) shop will work there in lancashire. sorry its a bit long winded only just found this site and its great!!!!! thanks all x:nah:

Hi there, we have also been in Australia for around 6 years and I want to re-assure you that you are not on your own in feeling confused :wacko:. We have been back to the UK a few times for visits and things have changed a lot since we left. You didn't mention where about's in Lancashire you are thinking of starting your business but I would definitely recommend lots of research into the area that you are thinking of as when we visited we did notice that a lot of shops had closed up. We are originally from Hyndburn! If you are happy and settled, your daughter will be. I don't think that you are silly at all to give it all up and move back to the UK as we have just decided to move back. We have really tried to make a go of it in Australia, we also gained our citizenship and we have made friends here but we just don't feel that we are getting what we need from life living in Australia. I can't put my finger on it but my heart lies in the UK, I think that having spent so many years of our lives in the UK we become used to certain ways of doing things and moving to Australia makes us have to try to change our way's to fit in with the Australian way. (Not that the Australian way is wrong it's just not what we have grown up with)! Are the people who are telling you not to go back to the UK actually in the UK as I found this and have never said to them but did want to say to them "Why are you living in the UK if you are telling me not to?" We are moving back in March this year and I can tell you when we told our families that we were going back they re-acted as though they had won the lottery. We are excited but also nervous but we will have the support of our families. I hope that this has helped and good luck with your decision. x:hug:

Guest dsmstalley

Hi, I can only tell you what we are doing not if it is right! we have been here 8 years and have a 4 year old born in NSW. We have been fairly happy here although I was as miserable as hell for the first year. My husband now id really homesick, I am mixed feelings but happy to be going home. We leave in 9 days.

I just think my daughter needs her family, she now voices her own feelings such as "mummy why do Nanny and grandad live in the computer" and burst into tears when she misses them. I cannot contemplate what it would have been like later when all her friends are visiting family in school holidays and weekends.

Australia is a graet place and if she wants to come home later, I am happy to retire here maybe as we also are citizens.

I went home on business in June and I can only tell you food and clothes are much cheaper and so is going out to eat than I remember, sure petrol is dear but so are some things over here, it is all swings and roundabouts!

As for the economic situation over there, look the exchenge rate is very good for us and house prices are cheap if there is ever a time to do it it is probably now I think.

Hi, I can only tell you what we are doing not if it is right! we have been here 8 years and have a 4 year old born in NSW. We have been fairly happy here although I was as miserable as hell for the first year. My husband now id really homesick, I am mixed feelings but happy to be going home. We leave in 9 days.

I just think my daughter needs her family, she now voices her own feelings such as "mummy why do Nanny and grandad live in the computer" and burst into tears when she misses them. I cannot contemplate what it would have been like later when all her friends are visiting family in school holidays and weekends.

Australia is a graet place and if she wants to come home later, I am happy to retire here maybe as we also are citizens.

I went home on business in June and I can only tell you food and clothes are much cheaper and so is going out to eat than I remember, sure petrol is dear but so are some things over here, it is all swings and roundabouts!

As for the economic situation over there, look the exchenge rate is very good for us and house prices are cheap if there is ever a time to do it it is probably now I think.

Agree with now being a good time to move back as Australian $ is at a 25 year high against sterling, also general election mid year in UK could mean rate rises later in the year which is not good for a deppressed housing market. Biggest concern is obviously finding employment but you have to be on the ground to work that one out. Australia is a great place as you say and I agree its good to be a dual national to maybe come back later in life. This for us as well is the right time for many reasons but most of all its WHERE THE HEARTS AT THAT MATTERS and thats it. Good look with your move and enjoy getting your family back.:biggrin:

Guest dsmstalley

Like you family absolutely wrapped we are coming home, I am in the scientific field have been looking for employment since December, am in middle of 4 interview process, last one to go hopefully all goes well but just got to keep going, good luck with your move, recommend Kent removals highly, and read all the blogs about aussie TVs in Uk, we are going to take ours and gamble!

Like you family absolutely wrapped we are coming home, I am in the scientific field have been looking for employment since December, am in middle of 4 interview process, last one to go hopefully all goes well but just got to keep going, good luck with your move, recommend Kent removals highly, and read all the blogs about aussie TVs in Uk, we are going to take ours and gamble!

Good luck with the TVS pretty confident they will work, thanks for the removals recommendation we are using GRACE and hope they are as good. Good that you started the interview process already sounds promising. I am an Aerospace Welder and used to work on Rolls Royce Turbine Blades prior to moving to Australia and am hoping to locate some Turbine work when we get back. Keep posting on this site if you get chance and once again good luck with everything.:biggrin:

:hug: Go with your heart. The best gift you can give a child is a loving family with happy parents and if you dont feel settled and happy here and you know that you would have the support of extended family back in UK then go for it.

As Gemjay said, this is an excellent time to be moving to UK - it has always been a real financial hassle to move from Aus to UK but now, with the pound being down and the housing market being down, you may get a really good deal from going at this time.

I think we would all like a crystal ball about what is the best thing to do and you can drive yourself bonkers trying to second guess yourself but you have given Australia a good go, it isnt working for you so cut your losses and find new things to do before you get stuck here forever. You are very lucky that your partner has agreed to go with you - he will need to be very strong and not blame every little thing that goes wrong (and little things will go wrong) on you when you get there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Well you have citizenship - you can always come back - I love Australia - when on holiday but everyday life - not for me and I have been here 14 years going back in March - can't wait - think its very important choosing where you settle over here - but then there's all the other things - different light over here - missing seasons - missing nice country pubs - our sense of humour (hope I haven't lost that after 14 years - and of course family... don't rush into anything - takes a while to know in my case 10 years... Hope you make the right decision for your family - know i've made my decision - won't miss rude horrible two faced neighbours, hot humid nights - dry brown landscape - I could go on....but its up to you LynXX

my partner never wanted to go back he loves it here, but he has recently said he will so we are trying to decide what to do, i would really like to start my own buisness, but it would mean putting my little girl in day care 5 days a week because we dont have anyone who can look after her, so we thought if we go back we have family who can help out, but we are nervous with the market , and weather a retail buisness will work in the north there, deep down i have never settled i miss my family being in my babys life, i feel guilty and i was so homesick at xmas and i wanted it to be wonderfull for her first xmas, my heart is in the uk, but i also do love it here.

Trouble is mainly everyone says not to go back there and how lucky we are out here, but i dont feel that way when i have no family to share the good times with, and i am aware it will be a struggle, but i miss the cold weather, i live in queensland and have some wonderfull friends, but as much as my family annoy me when we go for a holiday in the uk, i miss the normal family fueds, so just wanna no does anyone think we are silly to give it all up and struggle in the uk and do you think a small retail (fashion) shop will work there in lancashire. sorry its a bit long winded only just found this site and its great!!!!! thanks all x:nah:

Such a tough one and only you can decide...I do feel you pain....We have been here 5 years we came here without children and since being here we have had 2 boys....we are moving back to the UK this year.......I think our family being around our boys is so much more important than swimming pools, beaches and nice weather....I have really struggled with the decision as I hear so many people saying "but the lifestyle here" and I do kinda get it but I think we are good enough parents to give them a good lifestyle in the UK....my boys mean the absolute world to me as I am sure your daughter does too you so wherever you are in the world you can give them a good lifestyle different to Oz but still good.......life is what you make it and I think being around family is soooo important..to others not, to me yes it is...we have just been granted citizenship and should we ever wish to return we can....but for now Uk is where my heart is....I remember reading on here that Australia will always be here...family wont....so true...Good luck with your decision :hug:

Guest jade2030

thanks for replying and es it is so true it will always be here and i can and will come back, and i just worry the longer we leave it the harder it will be when my little one is older and at school and doesnt want to go anywhere, its such hard one hay! but i think we have made out minds up thanks xx good luck with your move back

Well you have citizenship - you can always come back - I love Australia - when on holiday but everyday life - not for me and I have been here 14 years going back in March - can't wait - think its very important choosing where you settle over here - but then there's all the other things - different light over here - missing seasons - missing nice country pubs - our sense of humour (hope I haven't lost that after 14 years - and of course family... don't rush into anything - takes a while to know in my case 10 years... Hope you make the right decision for your family - know i've made my decision - won't miss rude horrible two faced neighbours, hot humid nights - dry brown landscape - I could go on....but its up to you LynXX

Well lyn ,it may take you a while to get back on the " pace" ...loads of traffic ...loads of people .......but heres the trade off .

I have been going backwards and forwards to north wales in the snow .

The roads are clear , but picture driving through snow covered Snowdonia in the sunshine ......priceless

Hi

I have only ever spent about 15 months at most living and working in Australia and that was back in 2001. When I met up with friends and family it was good to be back but after about 3 months here in the UK, I wanted to return to Oz and make a go of it. Obviously it has been a long time coming but I am now just waiting on my visa to come through and then I shall be back out there again.

Once i get over there I will most likely feel the same as you do now but what happens if you return to the UK and after a few months you want to return, are you able to do this?

I dont know if I speak for everyone here but much as I love the UK are you sure this is the place you want start a business and bring your child up here?

Can you live in the UK and not want to return to Australia because I suppose once you have started setting up a business here, whats the likely hood of you returning to Oz? Where would your children have the best chance of a great life, the UK or Oz? These are the questions I would certainly think of before returning.

Perhaps the visa you currently have can allow you to return to the UK for a few months?

I know that once I head out to Queensland, after a while I am going to miss my friends and family but they all say the same thing, 'good for you', and 'make a good go of it', 'I hope things turn out well for you' and they have also said that if I feel homesick then just pop home for a couple of weeks and then return.

Best things to do are to find answers for the questions I mentioned, have a good chat with your OH and definitely sleep on the idea.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide and if you have anymore questions and concerns, then just come on here cos I am sure there are people who can give advice.

Take care,

Matt

Archived