Has the points system changed in 2010?

Lucysdream

Hi everyone, :hug:

My partner and I would love to move to Australia, we got back from a holiday just a week ago and want to move there and try it out for the much longer term. When I did online skill's test last year we seemed to pass with him as the main person on visa, but when I tried again other day it says we don't have enough points. He's a welder and that seems to still be on the list as a 60 point job. He trained in it at college and has been doing the job for years. We are both in our 20's so are under the 45 age limit!! Has the skills visa's suddenly changed. I worry we won't be able to get in :cry:

I know the visa process will be pricey,(I'm led to believe £4000-5000) so don't wanna spend that money if we won't be successful.

Can we make our Australian dream come true with my partners years experience at welding? Any help would be great.:notworthy:

Hi everyone, :hug:

My partner and I would love to move to Australia, we got back from a holiday just a week ago and want to move there and try it out for the much longer term. When I did online skill's test last year we seemed to pass with him as the main person on visa, but when I tried again other day it says we don't have enough points. He's a welder and that seems to still be on the list as a 60 point job. He trained in it at college and has been doing the job for years. We are both in our 20's so are under the 45 age limit!! Has the skills visa's suddenly changed. I worry we won't be able to get in :cry:

I know the visa process will be pricey,(I'm led to believe £4000-5000) so don't wanna spend that money if we won't be successful.

Can we make our Australian dream come true with my partners years experience at welding? Any help would be great.:notworthy:

Hi,

The visa process doesn't have to be that pricey. If you do the application by yourselves, and don't use an agent you can save quite a bit.(its not as difficult as you think)

That said, I would give one of the reputable agencies a call and get a FREE initial consultation. This would give you a good idea as to what your options are.

Alan Collett is the managing director of 'GoMatilda' and a member on PIO. He seems to come highly recommended on this forum.

The visa wizzard is also a good tool to look at your options:Australian Visa wizard - Visas & Immigration

Melanie x

A good start is make sure you are commited ,or have enough dosh to be able to lose on ping pongin , its life here warts and all no holiday ,eg in perth been 42 last 2 days sunday ace at the beach although in the sea most of the time lol, today at work not so nice but you have to put up with it its a part of living here not the hols bit as well as all the differences in general work life . We are lovin it but it aint livin the dream ,sloggin your nads off in 50 degs aint no dream lol

Mally

Guest VickyMel
Thanks for the help. Do you know where to go to apply for a visa without an agency, and also is this advisable?

Mnay thanks.:notworthy:

The Australia Immigration site - Melanie posted you a link to the Visa Wizard - loads of other info on the web site.

There are booklets for the different visa types as well Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

If you are going to do it yourself read that site and do loads of searches on this site for queries you have - and ask for up-to-date info where needed.

Doing it yourself you need to put loads of time in to check you have done everything correctly (and get to worry that maybe you have not anyway!) - you may still have to spend loads of time getting things organised with an agent but at least they know what is required and you will have some confidence that you have it right.

If you have any specific problems that may cause a problem with your Visa then you probably should use an agent.

If you can get through the Immi web site and come out having a pretty good idea about what you are up to then try going it alone.

Some of the agents will give you an free initial consultation (wish we had know and done one!).

If you do go for an agent in the end - use a good one that knows the ins and outs of the system and any potential issues you may have, and get recommendations (loads on here) as there are some agent horror stories.

We are doing it ourselves - seems to be going OK. But we did miss out on a couple of things and in hindsight if we had used an agent I think we would probably have got our Visa before the 23rd Sept crash.

Good luck

Vickymel

Guest KatyNick

Hi Lisa

I do think you should take the advice given on here and get a free assessment. My OH is a welder (aged 44 - don't tell him I've told everyone on here his age! lol). We were 5 points (I think) short of a 175 so we decided to go for the 176 and have more than enough points for that visa subclass.

Good luck with everything.

Archived