List of Aussie cars with Isofix

abz123

Decided that paying £15k to ship my one year old Audi Q5 is not the best option so trying to find out what manufacturers actually sell cars in Oz with isofix.

I know Audi do as they come out the factory like that but part of the decision to move is a lifestyle change so £80k to buy an equivalent specced Q5 is not up there on the priority list!

Looking for a safe family car with decent boot space, probably Japanese for reliability or VW if I have to buy European built car to get the isofix system.

(I know Oz don't recognise isofix but I'm willing to pay the fine if necessary!)

Can anyone help?

Guest Hearne_Family

Hi, I may be wrong but I think most overseas manufactured cars have them here, out of intrest I will look at the cars at work today and let you know.

Terry.

Decided that paying £15k to ship my one year old Audi Q5 is not the best option so trying to find out what manufacturers actually sell cars in Oz with isofix.

I know Audi do as they come out the factory like that but part of the decision to move is a lifestyle change so £80k to buy an equivalent specced Q5 is not up there on the priority list!

Looking for a safe family car with decent boot space, probably Japanese for reliability or VW if I have to buy European built car to get the isofix system.

(I know Oz don't recognise isofix but I'm willing to pay the fine if necessary!)

Can anyone help?

It isnt just the fine it is the voiding of your insurance in case of an injury caused by an accident and a child in a non approved seat.

Guest proud2beaussie

I'm afraid Quoll is correct,although the ISOFIX system is undoubtably better than the current Australian system unfortunately it is still not accepted as an Australian standard and using what is a non complying seat could lead to your insurance policy being void in an accident and you may also be charged.

I understand why you want to do this but you need to know the risks you are taking,there has been talk for a few years about Australia recognising the ISOFIX system but as far as I know they haven't made a decision as to when this might happen.

As others say - it's not about paying a fine, it's about being against the law. It's the same as coming to Australia and saying - well the speed limit is higher in the UK, so I'll just drive faster because that's what they do in the UK.......OK? NO, I don't think so!

There was a long discussion about this on another forum a while ago. It discussed the fact that should a child be killed in an accident in an illegally fitted car seat, would the parents be prosecuted for killing that child........

It does not matter that some people condsider the ISOFIX system is safer - it is not the system used in Australia.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest proud2beaussie

Yeah it's a shame because the ISOFIX standard is a world leading one and should be the Australian standard as well,Standards Australia is pushing for it to be adopted here but until it is then it's best to just go with the flow and use an Australian approved seat.

And the Australian standard is a very safe one,it's just not as good as ISOFIX (IMO that is).

http://www.standards.org.au/cat.asp?catid=41&contentid=191&News=1

Archived