rent or buy

hillyman

Hi all, if everything go'es to plan i should be in oz by the end of january, could anyone living in the springfield lakes area of Brisbane give me an idea of what i would be paying out each week/month to rent or buy, i would be looking for a 3/4 bedroom house my kids and husband would also love a pool me too if im honest,also

are there any nurses which work at the Maters hospital in the city that live

in springfield lakes that could give me advise on traveling, weather car/bus or train and how long it takes, any advise would be nice.

many thanks.

Paulaxx

Guest PommieLady

Hi

Obviously there are many pit falls with renting, and one which would concern me is moving somewhere with very high numbers of rental properties. However you should also consider how much your mortgage would be, if the rental cost is similar it might be worth considering buying as you will have all the benefits of home ownership. Its sounds as though the rental cost is getting near to the mortgage cost, excluding stamp duty, but you would be entitled to a rather generous first time buyers allowance if you have permanent residency.

Although a short term let whilst you choose your location and find the perfect property would also be advantageous.

Good Luck

Stef

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I would suggest renting for a few months in the area you are considering, then you can see if you like it. If you dont like it after 6 months you can try renting in another area. better to rent before you buy then you are not tied to an area you may hate.

Renting gives you an opportunity to see how you like Queensland (and OZ) before you commit to buy in an area. Then if you're homesick and want to return to the UK you can up and go without any commitment. On the other hand, buying in Qld is always a good investment, it is a growing State.

Hi srp & olly,renting do'es seem like the best thing to do,is it best to sort out a rental

before we leave or is this not possible or would it be better to get a short term rental

then look around when we get there,i don't know weather im coming or going so any advise

on anything related to relocation would be great.

Thanks guy's.

Paulaxx

Guest Guest31881
Hi srp & olly,renting do'es seem like the best thing to do,is it best to sort out a rental

before we leave or is this not possible or would it be better to get a short term rental

then look around when we get there,i don't know weather im coming or going so any advise

on anything related to relocation would be great.

Thanks guy's.

Paulaxx

You will find that it is hard to get a rental till you are here, what a lot do is get holiday accomodation for a few weeks, that gives them time to sort out rentals. When you arrive I suggest you take a few days to get your bearings and have a look around.

Also good to have paperwork with you (not in container) things like mortgage statements or rental stuff from UK, bank statements, and maybe a letter from your estate agent in UK (if selling a house) along with spec/ valuation. All helps to prove you will be a good tenant. Long Term rentals are well regulated in OZ but I think different in each state and you usually have to get a number of points to pass muster (sound familiar!). You can probably get a typical rental agreement and details for Queensland from the net or just e-mail an agent to ask the question.

If you buy and need a mortgage you will need at least 6 month work history , rents and mortgages being equal nah , rentals (in wa Perth metro) are going down whilst the mortgage rate is rising , its no use jumpin in and buyin, give yourself time ,for the first 6 month you are in holiday mode everything is new and looks good( or bad if it does lol) you will prob like the look of every place but one mans meat is another mans poison

Mally

Hi. We live just outside of Beenleigh (North Gold Coast) and have found that there is a big difference between paying $400 and $500 per week for a rental. $400+ will give you a nice 3/4 bedroom house in a good area. $500+ will give you a great house with a pool in a lovely area. Over $600 per week will give you something fabulous! I also agree with not buying until you are sure of the area in which you want to be and where the jobs are. We are in this area for the year now because of the contract on our house but we would rather be in a suburb up the road. Also bear in mind that some estate agents will not rent you a house until you, or a representative, have viewed it. You can't just do it over the internet.

Archived