REMOVAL COMPANIES - do they change their cooments?

julzcary

I've had two removal companies out to give me quotes for removals, and now that the quotes have come through, I'm seeing discrepancies between what was actually said when their representatives were here and what is actually laid down on the quote, ie, costings, and particularly timescales! Really annoying when you get told in your home that it will take 6-8 weeks, then when the quote comes, it says 8-10 weeks on the basis that thats the cheapest route. If you want the 6-8 weeks schedule, its dearer!!

I also felt they gave you a little 'false' information like, 'yeh, we'll build a box for that table so its nice and secure....', but when the quote comes through, if you want a special box its extra!

Also found a few other bits and bobs that are really annoying. I also found that there was a stark difference between the estimated volume of goods that we had between the two companies. One estimated nearly a third more. I always felt we were going to be a bit tight on a 20' container as we're taking a car in it, but the last thing I want is to go with the company that said we had less, only to find out that it wont all go in, and the rest either has to go as groupage or as excess baggage or something.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Julie

Guest juliemtaylor

one of our quotes was a cubic metre different on the quote to what the surveyor said. Both companies quoted for a 20ft container but different quotes. Why can't they just tell you it will fit and have a price for the 20ft. We got told 10-12 weeks fro sole 20ft to Melbourne.

Julie x

My two quotes have a difference of over 200 cubic ft, which is a massive difference! My cars not particularly special, just a mercedes CLK, which would probably cost me over 20k there, but only worth about 9 or 10 k here. Also means that I'll hopefully have a car when we pretty much arrive and not have to rush into buying anything.

Going to trawl through the quotes tonight and spot the differences between them!

Mmmmm think that one through ......are you sending your stuff in advance. Also takes a while for stuff to be released at other end plus cars have to go through additional tests and may need to be modified so KM per hour is main reading (all additional costs). have you added up the costs of importing a car properly especially a premium import (extra cost). Don't forget to add the cost of hiring a car until yours is released to you.

We hired a car for two weeks then bought one long before our container was released and we took a 3 week holiday on the way!

Search the threads on bringing a car to OZ there are some useful links.

Yep, done all the trawling through the posts, got an aproximate valuation landing value in oz from an approved valuer and an approximate cost of duty/tax due. Still reckon its worth it. Not saying I'll make money on it, but I'm not doing it for that, its just that I end up with a decent car, that I totally know, having had it from new and is paid for. But each to their own. I'll post up on here after I've hopefully done it and let people know whether it was worth it for me.

Yep, done all the trawling through the posts, got an aproximate valuation landing value in oz from an approved valuer and an approximate cost of duty/tax due. Still reckon its worth it. Not saying I'll make money on it, but I'm not doing it for that, its just that I end up with a decent car, that I totally know, having had it from new and is paid for. But each to their own. I'll post up on here after I've hopefully done it and let people know whether it was worth it for me.

Make sure you fill the container with spares fo your car ,they are a bloomin rip off here esp euro spares and marque

Guest patience

I have a Merc SUV all paid for and I couldn't afford to buy one in Oz for a good few years. I'm definitely taking it! It's a good car and my daughter would be distraught if we got rid of it lol.

Guest proud2beaussie

There's no reason not to bring a vehicle over if you can get a reasonable quote to do so but remember that shipping is not the only cost,there are costs to have it inspected to ensure that it complies with Australian road rules,there are also customs fees etc,and of course there is registration and insurance etc (but you pay those on any car).

A car like a Mercedes CLK would cost a lot more to buy here so if you can get it here reasonably cheaply then go for it.

Yep NIgel, I think I've taken account of all the costs (although no doubt there will be a few hidden ones!!) I'm reckoning on a couple of thousand of pounds in duty/tax, although the quote I've had is a couple of thousand dollars. I've also checked the compliancy thing and so far, have been advised that it will only be the child seat things. Will definately post on here, when I've hopefully done it, so others know the pros and cons. I am expecting a bit of toing and froing before we get the car out of the docks, but you never know.

Cheers

Julz

PS not being a car bofin, what sort of spares would you take yorkshire pom?

Archived