Moving to Castle Hill Sydney in Jan - Need furniture

Guest Fargo

Hi all,

Was over in Sydney for a 3 week business trip and managed to secure a house for rent in the Castle Hill area.

Wasn't prepared for how competative the rental market is. Had to pay rent from now and we don't get to Oz till Mid Jan !!!

Anyway - Coming for the UK obviously the houses in Oz are significantly bigger and the thing is that whilst we plan to bring all our furniture I think our new house will be a little barron.

It has a Study / Rumpus rooms and a seperate family room etc etc. and more space that we know what to do with. My thought is that I could maybe pick up some 2nd hand sofas etc rather than buy new.

Anyone got any thoughts on the best approach. I thought of e-bay /Gumtree but don't think we'll have a car big enough to move things. Is hiring a van cheap ? Are there any good 2nd hand shops that do deliveries ?

Cheers

Fargo

hi Fargo!

i live in the hills as well, 4 bedrooms and a similar setting to yours.

parents paying ard 470/week. how much is yours?

furniture wise, i suppose IKEA is a good choice! but if it's 2nd hand you're after,

might as well go to DFO, the one at birkenhead, they have a FREEDOM outlet there,

and everything goes at less 30-50%. all due to minor defects/scratches, etc.

ebay isn't bad, know some peeps that sell & their stuff was good, but you do need to view first as the photos don't always match the descriptions..LOL

Without a trailer it won't be cheap to pick up & deliver but if you have a tow bar on the car hire a trailer from any BP garage or Kenards for the day/half day

Thanks guys. Is it cheap / easy to rent a trailer then ?

Ikea is on the hit list and I also did think of e-bay to keep the costs down - as well as Gumtree.

We are renting furniture until ours arrives End Feb. Worry is that the wife and kids will prefer the rentals and not want our furniture back !! Ha Ha

Cheers

Fargo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tester23

Gumtree is probably the most use aussie classified site, although we just moved and managed to pick up some really nice and well priced furniture from local second hand stores.

• 4 months later...

Archived