Category 5 News

Guest Gollywobbler

Gill

Hi Gill,

I have undergone medicals last Aug09 and in Sept09, HOC asked me to re-do my xray as it was overpenetrated....my meds in the online status were finalised Oct09. In this case, when will my medicals expire? Thank you very much __________________

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made up for the Hollies and Tinkerbell gives me hope

but what i do not understand is why reports say they are working in lodgement date order so whats happend to all the ones in between Tinkerbelles and the Hollies sounds like another un organised situation something we have come to expect over the past 18 months

But at least it proves category 5's are moving !:biggrin:

Great News Tinkerbell and the Hollies

WJK

Guest johnnyyt
Made up for the Hollies and Tinkerbell gives me hope

but what i do not understand is why reports say they are working in lodgement date order so whats happend to all the ones in between Tinkerbelles and the Hollies sounds like another un organised situation something we have come to expect over the past 18 months

But at least it proves category 5's are moving !:biggrin:

Great News Tinkerbell and the Hollies

WJK

I, like many others, have wondered about the lodgement date order as my application was earlier that both of them.

Lets hope there are some more grants soon so we can see if a pattern emerges.

Johnnyyt

I just want to thank the team who fought for the right to those who where afffected by 23/9 changes.

We can see how happy you are all including your children and how you all were jumping for joy after receiving the visa grant letter.

I just hope you still continue praying for those who are still waiting for the right time to feel what you feel right now...

After all that happened, we still LOVE AUSTRALIA.

Congrats and You all guys deserved it!

Hi Gill and other famous Five....

In your Meeting with the DIAC Representative, it was clearly informed that Category-5 applications will be processed in date of lodgement order...irrespective of whether meds finalised or not... am I right.... and also informed that a small number of applications (decision ready) will be given visa too... I have one doubt.... DIAC is now alloting CO to Category 5 applicants where Meds and PCC has been called for.. what about others who have front loaded Meds and PCC... becasue of that they didnt got a call from CO for Meds and PCC... like... I submitted all docs including Meds, PCC, Form 80 etc etc upfront.... means normally there is nothing for the CO to ask for any more docs.... whether these cases will also be taken care off??

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi...

Just one more doubt.... Is 3500 approx Category applications means.... all Category 5 applications submitted till 23.09.09 or Category 5 applications where Meds and PCC requested by PCC??

Hi there

3,500 is the approximate number of applications which are currently with DIAC in which the applicant is State sponsored but his/her occupation is not on the CSL.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers

Gill

Guest renette
Hi there

3,500 is the approximate number of applications which are currently with DIAC in which the applicant is State sponsored but his/her occupation is not on the CSL.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for the info,

i thought that number was for appliciants which is state spnosored/non CSL and where the case officer has requested the meds and pc's already.

So that then means that the number 3500 includes all the state sponsored/non CSL with or without case officers.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Two quibbles about your ominbus replies.

I don't know what Jamie was thinking when he said there were as many CSL cases in Brisbane as Adelaide, my guess is no more than 2000 since the fashionable courses for a long time were all cooking and hairdressing, and only about 50% of accountancy graduates get enough on their IELTS to go into the CSL. As for the reference to Perth, that's just scare mongering, GSM cases are not handled in Perth.

Almost impossible for an IELTS test to expire if acceptable at time of lodgment. The time of application criteria for "competent" and "proficient" English, and the points test requirements for same, all use the same formula requiring that the test be satisfactory and have taken place no more than two years prior to the application. The definition of "functional" English does set a time limit of 12 months if you've done the ACCESS test but I'm sure no-one does that these days given that the IELTS test is universal.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

In fairness to Jamie, at the time of the MIA conference the size of the Student visa program led everyone including Mark Webster to believe that the split in the backlog of applications was about 50/50, meaning that the figures from Adelaide and Brisbane respectively would be about the same in each place.

Mark Webster said this - in good faith - when he was interviewed by Peter Mares on 30th October. On 13th November when the Minister was interviwed by Mr Mares, the Minister contradicted this belief. The Minister's figures were approx 30,000 applications for onshore GSM visas and about 105,000 applications for offshore GSM visas.

If the Minister's figures are accurate the ratio is a little over 3:1 I would say, but the spread of occupations is different within the two groups (onshore and offshore.) Between all the ex-students applying for GSM visas, my hunch is that a fairly narrow range of skills is represented.

I had told Mr Wilden that since I would not have an RMA with me, I did not feel confident about trying to discuss the problems amongst the ex-Students so he had no information about that when we met him. I mentioned that a search of the CRICOS register does not produce a course marked "Welder", "Plumber" or "Graphic Designer degree." I have been told that the fact that prospective International Students can't study for any and every skill on the SOL at the qualification levels required by the SOL means that they are compromising their own career aspirations. No university in Australia offers a bachelors degree in Graphic Design so even with help from an Education Agent like Connaust it would be very difficult to put the right series of courses together.

That is not the fault of the prospective International Student, obviously. It is equally impossible for him to learn to become a Welder instead. The prospective trades skills student will compromise by learnng Commercial Cookery or Hairdessing because those courses are neatly packaged to work with the GSM program and they are highly visible to someone outside Australia plus easy to access.

Mr Wilden said that he was not aware of the problem which I say exists. He said it would be DEEWR's baby to sort it out because DIAC is not responsible for what subjects can be studied in Australia.

Young Andrew Butler, who was with us, is not an RMA and he looked about 27 to me. (Please forgive me if I have under-estimated your age, Andrew!) His relevant work experience is confined to an 18 month stint at the ASPC followed by working for John Adams RMA, who lives and works in Surrey, UK. John only became an RMA in 2004 anyway so he doesn't have the same depth of experience that you have and I doubt that he has any real experience of the issues that are now facing ex International Students in Oz.

It is no use for the Minister to allege that the GSM program produces a skills imbalance in the applications for onshore GSM visas. Successive Australian Governments are responsible for that by failing to cover all of the skills in the SOL in the International Education program. Which Department is to blame is irrelevant from my point of view. It is what appears to have happened. That failure should not be visited on the applicants for the onshore GSM visas.

However, George, you will understand better than most people that it is impossible to develop and run a cogent argument in a field of law that one knows nothing about. It is wiser to leave well alone in my view, which I did! Between us the Famous Five plus Andrew simply didn't have enough knowledge and skill to raise issues which someone like you could have raised and argued with real knowledge and ability in this subject.

The ex-Students have to understand that I did what I could for them even though I am the first to admit that it was both paltry and inexpert.

With regard to the IELTS, I am vaguely aware that there has been litigation about it which the visa applicants won but I do not know any of the details about that. I've merely noticed that Nigel Dobbie's website invites people to contact him if they feel that DIAC have treated them unfairly in relation to the IELTS. I bow to your knowledge of whatever the issue is about.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

In your Meeting with the DIAC Representative, it was clearly informed that Category-5 applications will be processed in date of lodgement order...irrespective of whether meds finalised or not... am I right.... and also informed that a small number of applications (decision ready) will be given visa too... I have one doubt.... DIAC is now alloting CO to Category 5 applicants where Meds and PCC has been called for.. what about others who have front loaded Meds and PCC... becasue of that they didnt got a call from CO for Meds and PCC... like... I submitted all docs including Meds, PCC, Form 80 etc etc upfront.... means normally there is nothing for the CO to ask for any more docs.... whether these cases will also be taken care off??

Hi there

The fact is that we did not analyse the information offered to us in as much detail as you and many, many others would have liked.

There is nothing I can do about that because everyone is trying to drill down into more detail than DIAC are minded to supply at this stage. Plus we were talking with DIAC in London when their own information is second-hand and they have n o direct involvement with working the nuts and bolts of the GSM visa program.

One of the inevitable limitations of a meeting such as the one I arranged is that we are dealing with a constantly moving target. The facts are changing daily. One has to make tactical decisions. Should we have spent 6 months bickering on these boards so as to come up with a hugely detailed list of arguments, criticisms and questions?

Alternatively was it better to do what I decided to do, which was to get our faces in front of DIAC before they have a chance to make any major new announcements? Was it better to get Poms in Oz firmly onto DIAC's radar quickly so that they can see the consumer feedback for themselves?

My instinct - rightly or wrongly - was and remains that if we are to have any hope of influencing outcomes, we needed to visit DIAC promptly and put up with the fact that the details would be incomplete on both sides. I think that showing them the face and depth of sheer human upset and confusion - which I continue to maintain is the direct and inevitable result of DIAC's failure to keep visa applicants fully and properly informed and updated regularly - is the "message" that needs to reach the boss of DIAC and, via him, hopefully it will also reach the ears of the Minister.

DIAC have never been good at communicating with their clients. They were hugely and heavily criticised for this failing in the Palmer and Comrie reports. At the time their acronym was DIMIA, which the Aussie Press said stood for "Deport Immediately, Make Inquiries Afterwards." John Howard was forced to concede that the first Report - commissioned by the Opposition - was accurate and justified because the second Report - commissioned by the Howard Government - confirmed the findings of the first one. The Governmemt was trapped into accepting that DIAC's inability/unwillingness to communicate with the international public adequately and effectively was justified. An immediate and radical Attitude Transplant was the only viable cure.

Howard duly ordered the Attitude Transplant and saw to it that every attempt has been made to effect it. However changes of attitude require changes of culture within the organisation concerned and that does take several years to achieve.

David Wilden is a natural communicator. He is not frightened of the facts and he is not frightened of revealing them. However he is not prepared to turn this into a scenario in which the public interfere with every aspect of policy and practice. DIAC cannot function if it tries to be a committee comprising millions of members. Everything would simply grind to a shuddering halt, whch is not in Australia's best interests and it is not in the best interests of wannabe migrants to Oz either.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanx again for your detailed views. It should be appreciated and accepted that only because of you guys... now Category 5 applicants are getting little hope....not little... very big hope... Whatever may be the plus and minus.... once thing is clear that DIAC will be able to clear a major portion of 3500 applications by June 30. (only one danger.... provided DIAC should not add more professions in CSL... if more CSL professions... more delays!!!)

My brother (Financial Expert) who is a citizen of Aus told me that the Aus Economy is showing tremendous recovery from the downturn... More and more projects are coming... and ample scope for new job openings... Lets hope for the best....

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks for the info,

i thought that number was for appliciants which is state spnosored/non CSL and where the case officer has requested the meds and pc's already.

So that then means that the number 3500 includes all the state sponsored/non CSL with or without case officers.

Yes.

Cheers

Gill

Hi there,

I'm in the same position as you. I've done my meds in advance and when CO appeared he just had to ask for minor documents like updated passports for kids.

Would he ask for meds and police cert. if I did not do them upfront? I don't know.

But I don't think my application now is different in its gist from those where meds were requested.

Today we have strong evidens that DIAC is going to process applications with requested medicals. Nevertheless, there is one applicant with frontloaded meds whose case was finalised yesterday. So, I hope that DIAC has enough fairness to take many other cat 5 cases from limbo based on lodgement date.

This is the only fair route.

Guest lkaddoumi

Hello Everyone,

I sent an email to my agent requesting some updates on the Cat 5 visa processing. Find below their reply:

" Dear Luciana,

We don't see any movement on this group of state sponsorship applicants yet. However, we do have ONE state sponsored visa approved recently who completed the medical exam back in April 2009, which we almost decided was an error from immigration's part.

While, the rest of state sponsorship application have not begun the allocation yet. We will monitor the speed and inform you if they are going to move forward state sponsorship applications."

With that I believe that only Cat 5 which had Medical and PC done previously will be moving. In our case, we were expecting to have a CO appointed within 10 days or so, which didnt happen. So now we are worried thinking that the 2012 will be our case (unless our beloved minister change the rules).

Wish we could find some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment we are trying to cope with that and live our lives without all this anxiety, empty heart and uncertainty.... Show must goes on.... But I have to say that is really really hard. I am sure that all of you understand what I am trying to express here.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Luciana

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Thanx again for your detailed views. It should be appreciated and accepted that only because of you guys... now Category 5 applicants are getting little hope....not little... very big hope... Whatever may be the plus and minus.... once thing is clear that DIAC will be able to clear a major portion of 3500 applications by June 30. (only one danger.... provided DIAC should not add more professions in CSL... if more CSL professions... more delays!!!)

My brother (Financial Expert) who is a citizen of Aus told me that the Aus Economy is showing tremendous recovery from the downturn... More and more projects are coming... and ample scope for new job openings... Lets hope for the best....

Hi ponnuvarun

DIAC will undoubtedly receive more Cat 1-4 applications between now and the end of June 2010. That is absolutely inevitable. As they receive these higher prioriity applications, people in Cat 5 will be kept waiting - that is also inevitable.

Mr Wilden promised to discover and confirm how many visas have already een granted out of the 108,100 skilled visas available during 2009/2010. Once we have this figure we will be able to make a much better guess about what is realistically likely with Cat 5.

Progress in the last few days suggests that DIAC are trying to minimise the extent to which Cat 5 applicants are caused to have to spend more money on new medicals etc, I think they will do this as much as they can and then take stock of the situation that remains with Cat 5 applicants. Remember that the MIA have been warned that DIAC do not expect to be able to process all of the outstanding Cat 5 applications before the end of June 2010.

I agree with you that the signs of recovery in Oz are far btter than they are in, say, the UK. When I said this to David Wilden, he said the Aussie Goverbment wants to see a more convincing fall in the unemployment figures than thre have been so far. In their shoes I guess I would be equally cautious..

Some Aussie empoyers are geared up to sponsor skilled workers. According to Mr Wilden the majority are not, though. I don't see enough Aussie employers becoming willing to get involved with visas to solve the backlog by this means.

Beyond the above, I think we need to sit back and wait to see how things turn out.

Cheers

Gill

Wish we could find some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment we are trying to cope with that and live our lives without all this anxiety, empty heart and uncertainty.... Show must goes on.... But I have to say that is really really hard. I am sure that all of you understand what I am trying to express here.

No doubt we can.

Guest LucyOlly

alanmcguire

has no status.

My Mood:

well well well, visa granted

Hi all, I put a thread on here a while back titledA FAMILIES HOPES AND DREAMS RUINED about a mate of mine who i met at our skills assessment .It basically said that he had paid his money in good faith and was roughly a week away from a visa when the announcements were made on sept 23.He thought he would have to wait till 2012 but i recieved a call from him today to say that his visa was granted yesterday. Great news , it looks as though cat 5 ss non csl visas are actually being processed.

crown_banner_3.gif lg.php?bannerid=7&campaignid=1&zoneid=3&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomsinoz.com%2Fforum%2Fmigration-issues%2F73913-well-well-well-visa-granted.html&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomsinoz.com%2Fforum%2Fmigration-issues%2F&cb=5b5b9aea3e

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello Everyone,

I sent an email to my agent requesting some updates on the Cat 5 visa processing. Find below their reply:

" Dear Luciana,

We don't see any movement on this group of state sponsorship applicants yet. However, we do have ONE state sponsored visa approved recently who completed the medical exam back in April 2009, which we almost decided was an error from immigration's part.

While, the rest of state sponsorship application have not begun the allocation yet. We will monitor the speed and inform you if they are going to move forward state sponsorship applications."

With that I believe that only Cat 5 which had Medical and PC done previously will be moving. In our case, we were expecting to have a CO appointed within 10 days or so, which didnt happen. So now we are worried thinking that the 2012 will be our case (unless our beloved minister change the rules).

Best of luck.

Regards,

Luciana

Hi Luciana

Your agent is being very cautious - understandably so. However nobody including DIAC knows for sure how the present situation will pan out in the end.

Some people naturally regard a glass as being half empty. Others regard it as being half full.

It will be possible to analyse the situation better once we know how many skilled visas have already been granted since 1st July 2009. DIAC have promised to supply this figure up to the end of November 2009. I don't know how accurate their "running total" might be because I don't know whether the DIAC computer calculates it automatically every night for each of the Streams of visas. That said, even an approximate figure will do.

Don't be dispirited, hon. Let us wait for more information, I would suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Nahla

In your shoes I would make a formal complaint via the Global Feedback Unit. It is not reasonable to punish you for the inefficiency of the HOC.

David Wilden of DIAC, who chaired last Monday's meeting in London, told us that he set up the Global Feedback Unit and that he gave it teeth. Your complaint will be investigated and the HOC will be asked to explain how and why your meds went missing.

I think Mr Wilden would advise you to complain to the GFU and it is definitely what I would do next if I were you.

Contact Us – Compliments and Complaints – Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Cheers

Gill

Dear Gill

I already lodged a complain on 24/9 and the reply was :

I understand why they are not satisfied with the current situation, but

> unfortunately, there is no discretion in this matter.

> At this point in time, the family's application is not processed further

> due to the minsterial direction, which affects all non-CSL applications

> regardless of processing status.

and when i sent an email reminding them that i was requested for medicals and submitted , they replied

as mentioned in my previous email, the focus will be on applications where

the case officer has determined the case to be ready for finalisation.

As your application requires further assessment before it can be finalised,

it cannot be processed further at this point in time.

There is a large number of applications that are similar to yours where

less or no further assessment is required, and they will be completed

first.

My agent is telling me to wait and not to insist on medical lost issue

I need help from all agents in this forum please

Thank you for your help and for your efforts to make this happen

Nahla

Guest samra138
alanmcguire

has no status.

My Mood:

well well well, visa granted

Hi all, I put a thread on here a while back titledA FAMILIES HOPES AND DREAMS RUINED about a mate of mine who i met at our skills assessment .It basically said that he had paid his money in good faith and was roughly a week away from a visa when the announcements were made on sept 23.He thought he would have to wait till 2012 but i recieved a call from him today to say that his visa was granted yesterday. Great news , it looks as though cat 5 ss non csl visas are actually being processed.

crown_banner_3.gif lg.php?bannerid=7&campaignid=1&zoneid=3&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomsinoz.com%2Fforum%2Fmigration-issues%2F73913-well-well-well-visa-granted.html&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomsinoz.com%2Fforum%2Fmigration-issues%2F&cb=5b5b9aea3e

Hi there,

Please can you provide us with the timesones of your friend's application?

Also can you know if he/she sent the medical and character checkes before or after been allocated to a case officer.

anyway, congratulations to your friend

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nahla

I am 11/2007 , 475 applicant , medical requested december 2008 and sent

Who asked you to get your meds done? Your agent or a CO at the ASPC?

more than two years and it is still not assesed , what is my fault if medical file was lost by HOC for nine months and DIAC didn't inform me .

I agree with you 100% and I would not stand for this if DIAC are to blame. However what evidence is there about the role they actually played?

I think too that we need to clarify your agent's position in this. You say the agent advises you not to make a fuss about your meds going astray for so long. Why is the agent of this opinion? What did the agent do to locate the missing meds?

Is the agent a MARA Registered Migration Agent? Where is s/he located? I am not persuaded by this feeble minded "Put up and shut up" approach from the agent or from DIAC if DIAC were the ones who initiated the request for the meds.

Please could you tell me a bit more?

Thanks

Gill

Hi Nahla

I agree with you 100% and I would not stand for this if DIAC are to nlame. However what evidence is there about the role they actually played?

I think too that we need to clarify your agent's position in this. You say the agent advises you not to make a fuss about your meds going astray for so long. Why is the agent of this opinion? What did the agent do to locate the missing meds?

Is the agent a MARA Registered Migration Agent? Where is s/he located? I am not persuaded by this feeble minded "Put up and shut up" approach from the agent or from DIAC if DIAC were the ones who initiated the request for the meds.

Thanks

Gill

thanks Gill

yes medical was requested by case officer on dec 5 2008 and done on dec 14 , i.e will expire this week

i corresponded with HOC and DIAC for two month till we could locate medicals

i can send you a copy if you need

now diac is saying i am not in priority although i fulfill all criteria , state sponsored 475 and medical requested but they say that they have others in priority who need less assesment

my agent is registered but he always suggests that we wait and they will organize themselves and feedus back , the problem lies in the expiry of medical this week

thanks again

i really appreciate time taken

if you would like i can email you the whole case may be you can send it to Mr. Wielden as we already lodged a formal complain

thank you

Hi there,

Please can you provide us with the timesones of your friend's application?

Also can you know if he/she sent the medical and character checkes before or after been allocated to a case officer.

anyway, congratulations to your friend

:wideeyed: This is a link to the thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/73913-well-well-well-visa-granted.html#post632843

Guest jains005
Hi Nahla

I agree with you 100% and I would not stand for this if DIAC are to nlame. However what evidence is there about the role they actually played?

Thanks

Gill

ha ha... "put up and shut up?" then it might be my agent. i'm scared to ask him anything. i got treated badly when i asked him notify if he had received my mail regarding the change of address...

Guest jains005
Hi there

Cheers

Gill

read somewhere else that it is 1,40,000 offshore applicants and 30,000 onshore applicants

Archived