Category 5 News

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest rufndtuf

Hi

It will be good to maintain a signle thread/post out there to see the number of non-csl, state sponsered applicants/cat#5 applicants who got their visas in recent times. It may help us for some conclusion... is it possible????????

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

We were requested for our meds before the 23/09 change but on the 28th of Sept our CO asked us to cancel until further notice.We now sent her an e-mail to ask if we should re-book the meds and this was the reply.Our PCC`s have been uploaded,its just the meds outstanding.

Dear Mr XXXXX

Thank you for your email.

Please note the following regarding your migration application :

The Department is processing applications according to Ministerial

Direction No. 42 - Order of consideration - certain Skilled Migration

visas. The Department anticipates that a small number of State

sponsored non-CSL applications will be finalised this program year.

Processing will focus on applications where health and character checks

have been requested by the case officer, and initially, where the case

officer has determined the case to be ready for finalisation. This

determination can only be made once a case officer has fully considered

the application. I regret to advise that your case is not currently at

this stage of processing. You will be contacted in coming months if

further processing is to take place on your application in this program

year.

Kind Regards,

I JUST FEEL AS IF I AM ALWAYS JUST MISSING THE BOAT

:arghh:

Guest rachbarlow
Hi everyone, i think 2012 is a little unrealistic for people who have SS for WA. By this i mean, people who are in cat 5 will be in demand mid next year. This is because the Gorgan Gas plant will be in construction by this stage and they are saying there are 10,000 jobs that need filling, 3000 of them permanent, which will leave Perth with a shortage of skilled labour. I currently live in Perth and the recession hasn’t really affected WA so much so when this project gets underway they will have to let more skilled migrants in because all the projects in the city still need to be completed. Just my opinion though but talking to a lot of fly in fly out tradies, as soon as Gorgan starts they are off.

This is what I find soooooo frustrating, and I am sure I am not alone. Here my OH is working 70 - 80 hours a week. He is earning LESS money than he was 3-4 years ago, but working twice as long. We have someone working for us who we may have to lay off, and I feel really bad about this. However, survival of the fittest i'm afraid! The construction industry here is on it's knees, with no support from the government. I have read the other day that if you are on income support and don't work, the government are going to give those 'poor' people £538 towards a laptop for their kids. ARRRRRR. Oh and free broadband. It will be on e-bay as soon as it is out of PC World!!! Surely this money should be put to better use helping the country.:nah:

Sorry for the rant!! Point is WA especially needed 'skilled people' we are all WILLING to go, have PAID to go, and want to put into the OZ system. I always think that in every council or government run organisation there is someone sat at the top on ALOT of money, who makes the changes for the sake of it, not necessarily for the good, even if it is already working. They have to be SEEN to be reviewing constantly, and adapting. Although we all know this is clearly not the case and has caused a total mess in the system and people's lives. Lets hope this all gets sorted as soon as and those grants start to come through!!!:notworthy:

RANT OVER!!!

Hello Friends,

I am also in the same boat. My app also falls under category 5. Shud i also expect my grant letter soon?????

Application: VE175 Changed 176, Paper, CSL(Removed from list), MODL, HR, Application lodged: 17-Dec-2007, PCC sent:14 Mar 2009, Meds Done:14 Mar 2009,

CO Assigned: 25 Feb 2009, Pending docs: Submitted on 11 March 2009, SS: May 2009, Again 23 Sept, Visa: God Knows!!!

Guest rachbarlow
Hi

It will be good to maintain a signle thread/post out there to see the number of non-csl, state sponsered applicants/cat#5 applicants who got their visas in recent times. It may help us for some conclusion... is it possible????????

There is already a thread. Alot of peeps are on there!!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now-48.html

Hi Guys

Could some one please tell me where i fall into

application submitted feb 09

ss WA granted march 09

co requestedmeds/pc checks june 09

sent them

status shows finalised [meds]

everything else met

our agent dose not seem to be any help at all we don't no who our case officer was so can not e-mail him/her

best regards

pom64

Yes medicals and PC`s were done in March 09.

I have previously lived overseas in europe, so I got all the foreuign and UK PCs amd medicals in the hope I would be within the timeline

Hi, Could you tell me who is your case officer? The first 2 approvals in this group turned out to have the same case officer. I suspect that the finalzation date may vary a lot because of the different case offiers. If they have a lot of CSL cases on hand, they may not look at our cat 5 cases.

Guest renette
Hi

We were requested for our meds before the 23/09 change but on the 28th of Sept our CO asked us to cancel until further notice.We now sent her an e-mail to ask if we should re-book the meds and this was the reply.Our PCC`s have been uploaded,its just the meds outstanding.

Dear Mr XXXXX

year.

Kind Regards,

Hi there,

We got exactly the same e-mail from our case officer earlier this week. she just didnt include the following sentence : "and initially, where the case officer has determined the case to be ready for finalisation. This

the application".

Just to give you some comfort, we were requested to do our meds and pc on the 17 August by our case officer. pc's were submitted same day, and meds were done end of August, and finalised on the 22 September in Sydney. On the 23 September our case officer confirmed that everything have been received. looks like they are finalizing applications at the moment, where the case officer has already determined the case to be ready for finalisation, regardless of whether you have submitted your meds or not. my guess is that everyone who was requested meds and pc's will get there visas before they expire, we just need to be patient. 3500 is a great lot to catch up to.

Hi POM64,

I would imagine you are in the same boat as I am and many more. I think the crux of the situation is this, DIAC or the Minister have realised they have made a 'balls up' with the 23rd of Sept announcement. Like you we were requested to complete medicals by a CO prior to the 23/09 and these were submitted to and acknowledge by DIAC.

From what I gather there are a number of 175/176 applicants who submitted before I, where their application letter from DIAC mentioned Meds & Police checks were required. However mine was not at that time, so something seems to suggest that there was a realisation that people would complete meds & police checks prior to formal request by DIAC.

That said as has been mentioned on numerous other threads, I personally think it is a gamble to foward load meds & police checks without the request from DIAC, as it is a bit like doing extra work and expecting a customer to pay for the additional work they did not ask for.

At a glance, I can see where on the earlier applications that it could be interpreted to organise meds and police checks, however newer letters from DIAC do not state the need for those docs in the initial stages.

Back to my earlier point, Minister Directive 42 seems to indicate that those who were requested by a CO to complete medicals and police checks prior to 23/09 will be dealt with. Hopefully the Minister realised that it was morally wrong to expect applicants to fork out for these and then watch them expire.

The sorry thing about all of this is, it we are all desperate to get to Aus, however in the real world some of us will get there sooner than others. With regards to my situation, I am not happy about the 23/09 statement, however I would have been happier if I were to wait to 2012 that DIAC would either extend my Med & Police checks until that date, or refund the monies I have paid out to the Hospital & Penal checking service.

Like you I am now hoping that as I was asked by DIAC to complete the checks, I would hope that the Visa will be with me by June 2010.

As passionate about my cause as I am, I would also like to re-iterate that I am as enthusiastic about the members of this community's causes, and as Gollywobbler has stated in previous threads I think we need to express our worries, but always bear in mind that Rome was not built in a day. Hopefully we will all get our visas, but it may take a little longer than expected.

Good luck to all like minded applicants and retain that British stiff upper lip!!

Kind regards

Ronnie R

Guest samra138

Hi All,

How can I send an email to my case officer?

He contacted me before to send him the Character Checking but I just know his name and the email address which is written in his email to me.

The email address does not contain his name but it contains the number of the team.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

BR,

Sam

Guest rufndtuf

send it to the team ..with a cover letter describing every bit of your info..like name, visa type,passport number, file number, trn number..etc and etc... write it with a request to acknowledge you with what they have received..so, you will be notified back.. I received the acknowledgemtn the same day I sent my requested documents.

Guest heljef1
Hi

there is a recent one. look at - cat 5, non csl - visa granted!!

Guest samra138
send it to the team ..with a cover letter describing every bit of your info..like name, visa type,passport number, file number, trn number..etc and etc... write it with a request to acknowledge you with what they have received..so, you will be notified back.. I received the acknowledgemtn the same day I sent my requested documents.

Thanks alot Rufndtuf, I sent the email and I received an aknowledge that they receive my documents although I did not attach any documents. I know it is an automated email.

But it is written that they will not answer any enquiry wrotten in the email.

Did this happen with? did you answer your enquiry?

You might have missed it, but Taz2008 has already been running a thread since 12th Oct on this subject. Have a look at the first post in the thread which she regularly updates - it has everyone's visa details and the recent new visas marked in red. It's a great thread and very helpful to watch the changes as they happen.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

:wubclub:

Guest rufndtuf
Thanks alot Rufndtuf, I sent the email and I received an aknowledge that they receive my documents although I did not attach any documents. I know it is an automated email.

But it is written that they will not answer any enquiry wrotten in the email.

Did this happen with? did you answer your enquiry?

Nope I only attached the requested file and sent it throught the mail and later received the receipt- an acknowledgement for the same and I did not enquire them on anything- I know, It's not the the place to write our queries. ;)

pls let me know! which one do you mean?????

Nope I only attached the requested file and sent it throught the mail and later received the receipt- an acknowledgement for the same and I did not enquire them on anything- I know, It's not the the place to write our queries. ;)

pls let me know! which one do you mean?????

Hi rufndtuf,

Please go to the thread which you are now listed on and you will see the information on the first page about who has received their visas since 01/12/09.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

So far we know of 4 people who have now got their visa. Two of them are listed on the thread and are now in red with details of their timeline, another 1 was received today, but although I have requested they join our thread, they have not yet seen my message and the 4th one is from a Russian forum and their details are not known other than a visa has been received.

Hope this helps

Tasha

Guest rufndtuf
Hi rufndtuf,

Please go to the thread which you are now listed on and you will see the information on the first page about who has received their visas since 01/12/09.

So far we know of 4 people who have now got their visa. Two of them are listed on the thread and are now in red with details of their timeline, another 1 was received today, but although I have requested they join our thread, they have not yet seen my message and the 4th one is from a Russian forum and their details are not known other than a visa has been received.

Hope this helps

Tasha

hi TAZ2008

Many thanks for the update.. ure doing a wonderful piece of work... I have updated the same in GDU for the people out there Cat # 5 applicants .. hope you dont mind:cool:..

Just wondering, sorry if has already been covered - setting aside the people with CO before 23/9, in what 'date of lodgement' order will they follow? Date of first initial visa lodged? Or the date of when SS was received and it became a 176? Cause at the time pre 23/9 people were being allocated a CO within 10 working days as soon as they were given SS (to my understanding) - so for that to happen surely there would be something highlighted on each case to say they have a SS and go into 'another pile' to be awarded a CO?? Am I right in thinking this? Or have I just got very confused? I hope this makes sense

Cheers

MouseBear

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

Dear Mr XXXXX

year.

Kind Regards,

Hi Mylady

In your shoes I would reply to the guy who wrote to you, pointing out that the reason why your application was being expedited was because the ASPC made a whopping error and tried to refuse your visa application within minutes of it being submitted. Attach a copy of the e-mail in which they acknowleged their error and tried to make up for it by hurrying through the process.

It might push enough guilt buttons at DIAC's end to get your application moving again so if I were you I'd try this method.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I am going through this thread in another browser, hoping to pick up and deal with all the queries which have become "lost" in the fast pace of this thread.

Please note that DIAC did not and will not agree to permit visa applicants and interested by-standers to devise Australian Government policy. DIAC will do that by themselves, whether we like it or not.

Hopefully in chronological order, here goes:

Spurious: 01/12/2009

One thing I'm confused about is his figure of 3,500. Where has that come from? There surely must be a LOT more CAT5 applications than that. Is it a quota that, when they reach it, mean they will stop that category from any further processing? Forgive me if I've overlooked something, it just wasn't terribly clear.

Nope. There are approximately 3,500 unfinalised applications in Cat 5. Remember that Cat 5 was Cat 2 until 23rd September and that a LOT of Cat2/Cat 5 visas were granted during the first 9 months of 2009.

The figure cross checks with the figure that the DIAC team who attended the MIA conference in early October 2009 provided:

The Adelaide numbers are ranked like this, reflecting priority of processing, numbers are individual applications, not total people involved:

State nominated with CSL, Unallocated 27, Allocated 720, Total 747

Family sponsored CSL, 1130, 279, 1409

All other CSL, 6335, 4289, 10624

All other State nominated, 3678, 0, 3678

MODL only, 12388, 0, 12388

Other, 15659, 0, 15659

Total, 39217, 5279, 44496

So Adelaide hold 12000+ CSL applicants, allow another 12000 for Brisbane and more for Perth etc.

Source: Jamie Smith in the thread below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really-5.html

Was there any news on the MODL review/phasing out of CSL?

All that we were told is that DIAC and DEEWR have completed their parts of the MODL Review. They have submitted a range of options to the Minister for him to choose from. They do not know when the Minister will make his choice and announce it.

Judith - 01/12/2009

I have a question. You mentioned the earlier case will be dealt first. Does it mean the innitial lodgement date of visa application? Many people lodged 175 first and transfered to 176 much later.

We did not go into enough detail to get to the bottom of this. The DIAC team in London were relying on information sent to them from Oz so detail was sparse. I think we need to wait and see what patterns emerge as the new situation beds in and settles down.

Does the 3500 applications include those who applied 175 innitially and then transfered from 175 to 176 after 23 Sep? Or only the state sponsored applications applied before 23 Sep?

The figure of *approx 3,500 Cat 5 applications* is believed to have been been about right during the last couple of weeks. It is impossible for DIAC to be absolutely specific because each CO is expected to finalise about 30 applications each week and they receive new applications every day.

recherche - 01/12/2009

would this mean that the rest of us (those who didnt have a case officer previously and have requested for health and character checks) have to wait till 2012?

No, it does not mean that. It means that DIAC are now able to start finalising applications in Cat 5 as well as those in Cats 1-4 inclusive. The next big milestone in the overall scheme of things will be when they start to finalise applications in Cat 6. They were unable to say when this is likely to be. They promised to find out how many Cat 6 applications are awaiting processing and decisions as at 30th November 2009. They also promised to find out how many of the 108,100 skilled visas have been granted between 1st July and 30th November 2009.

Mousebear - 01/12/2009

This sounds positive and good news for a lot :) Bit sad for us though as when we first applied (May 2008) under my profession as a teacher we had to resubmit and pay for a whole new application to put my OH (BRICKLAYER) as the main applicant with a SS in Sept 2009 so they won't take our first lodgement date (we are using a migration agent). Think we may be waiting a while? But at least they're moving YEY!!

Did you withdraw the application with yourself as the main applicant or is that still in the system, please? What sort of teacher are you? (eg pre primary, primary, secondary or VET?) Which State do you hope to move to? Was the possibility of an employer sponsored visa considered with you instead of a second application for a GSM visa?

Midlanders - 01/12/09

Does your first paragraph above ........deff include 175's as we have lodged our visa in June 09 and then applied for SS with WA in July, but still awaiting that outcome before we can then get our visa rechange to 176?

I suspect, given events of the last few days, that the "start date" is likely to be the date on which an application moves up into Cat 5. However this has not been confirmed by DIAC. It is merely what seems to be emerging.

pom64 - 01/12/2009

i would also like to ask a question if i can which is, we first started the whole application process in march 08 with a agent but it was not submitted to the DIAC until Feb 09 we where granted SS WA in march 09 co requested med,s and PC checks in June 09 finalised Aug 09 with all doc,s MET so my question is, am i in with a chance of our visa and if so how long do you think i could be looking at [by the way i am a brickie]

If your meds were not finalised till August 2009 then they will be valid until August 2010. I suspect that the ASPC will finalise your application as soon as they possibly can, so as to give you a reasonable period in which to make your initial entry to Oz before your meds expire.

In your shoes, I would either ditch your agent and chase the ASPC yourself or SIT on your agent and insist that s/he contacts the ASPC first thing on Monday 7th Dec to hurry your application along.

mlsdq - 02/12/2009

Does it apply to 475 also right? the provisional visa? or maybe it only applies to cat 5 permanent visa.. and those who don't have Co's yet?

We were told that the new arrangements apply to "Category 5." Cat 5 includes the following visa subclasses: 176, 475, 886 and 487. We were not told anything about any priorities within those visa subclasses and Ministerial Direction 42 does not contain any provision for discrimination between them.

I think we have to apply common sense and recognise that applications from high risk countries may take longer to process than others. Now that there is less pressure on DIAC to deliver Cat 5 (formerly Cat 2) visas because the CSL applications are under control, there is also less pressure on DIAC to cut corners with scrutinising applications from applicants in high risk countries.

mpripley - 02/12/2009

5/8/09 - 475 SS Visa applied for

21/8/09 - CO requested meds and police checks

22/9/09 - Meds showing as finalised apart from my partner who had to sign an agreement that she would conduct a chest x-ray on arrival (she was pregnant when we were doing x-rays)

22/9/09 - E-mail from CO asking if 11/11/09 was acceptble initial entry date to australia, to which i replied

23/9/09 - Woke up to check response from CO only to read that it was delayed until 2012!!! So close!!!

1/12/09 - "Further information received" showing on my partners health requirements? Not sure what this is.

Does anyone think we should go ahead with her chest x-ray as she has had our baby now?

I recommend that you contact the ASPC, give them all the facts and ask them what they want you to do.

jains005 - 02/12/2009

"All the applications in hand from people in Categories 1 - 4 as listed in the FAQ of 23rd September 2009 are now under control."

please tell me what it means. does it mean that all of them are allocated COs? or their applications are finalised?

It means what it says, Jains. DIAC are confident that the Cats 1-4 applications are sufficiently under control for DIAC to be able to make a start on finalising some of the Cat 5 applications as well.

pom64 - 02/12/2009

Really don't no whats going on i e-mailed our agent last night to see what they have heard and the reply that i got back today was as far as they where concerned they don't no anything about cat 5 been processed as they where concerned 1,2,3,4 where been processed and cat 5 was still 2012 don't no what to think of our agent why do they not no what is going on sorry for the rant

Is your agent MARA-registered? Do a search of the business name if your consultant is not MARA-registered, I suggest:

MARA - Search for a Registered Migration Agent

If somebody in the firm is a MARA Registered Migration Agent, is the RMA concerned also a member of the Migration Institute of Australia?

Migration Institute of Australia

If yes, get hold of the RMA and kick ass because the MIA notified all their members on Tuesday 1st December 2009. Why has the firm's RMA not read the MIA information and notified all the other staff right away?

If you need a hand with this, please send me a private message.

Cathy 77 - 03/12/2009

Where do international state sponsored students stands in this new 3500 grant category? specially those who had COs and done with medicals while submitting the application, (case officers don't have to specially ask for meds for onshore applicants).Do you think there is any luck for them?

DIAC have not evinced any intention to treat the Cat 5 onshore applicants any differently from the offshore ones. Have you tried contacting the BSPC to ask for an update?

WJK - 03/12/2009

do we have any idea of the 3500 how many had received offical requests from CO for Medicals and Police Checks ?

This was not discussed at the meeting in London last Monday and it was not disclosed to the MIA either so no, we don't know I am afraid.

msldq - 03/12/2009

Well, DIAC must also consider that it's not only PCCs and MEDs that will expire, but also IELTS for non-english countries. Even if they don't have COs yet and not included in those 3500 apps that will be processed and finalized, what will happen? IELTS retake costs more than the Meds and Police Cert's

I understand that you are in the Philippines. Please can you tell me what an IELTS retake there would cost in AUD? Also, what do Panel Doctors in the Philippines charge for the meds? Again, please may I have the figure in AUD? Thanks.

gotcha88 - 03/12/2009

I took my IELTS exams in January 2008 and got band 7.5, applied in May2008, SS 176 - Computer Auditor, sent medicals and PCC in August 2009. however i'm concerned whether DIAC will ask me and my wife to take IELTS again as it expires after 2 year, i.e in January 2010.

CAn anybody conform whether IELTS will need to be done again?

DIAC might well insist that you must both do the IELTS again. Which country are you in and what would IELTS re-takes cost there in AUD, please?

When did you get your State sponsorship, please?

McKlaut - 03/12/2009

“The Department is processing applications according to Ministerial Direction No. 42 - Order of consideration - certain Skilled Migration visas. The Department anticipates that a small number of State sponsored non-CSL applications will be finalised this program year. Finalisations will focus on applications where health and character checks have been requested by the case officer.”

The statement from DIAC to the MIA is crystal clear. What could David Wilden add to such a clear statement when he is not in charge of GSM visa processing? He is obliged to defer to what his relevant, responsible colleagues have said - the ones who are actually running the GSM show.

Luciana - 03/12/2009

I just registered in order to put my comments and I wish that everybody in the Q could do that, we will really have a strong representation to request our rights.

DIAC's stance is that being permitted to migrate to another country is a privilege, not "a right." They will not alter this stance. There is no International Convention on the Rights of the Wannabe Migrant and even if there were, most of the developed countries would not sign it. It is important to remember this, I think.

rgrangana - 04/12/2009

Please let me know any one have a idea about Cat 6

DIAC do not know when they will be able to start processing Cat 6 applications.

Your timeline states:

Accountant/ 176 F sponsored appl : 13.01.2009/ WA appl: 2nd July 09 / IELTS only (7,7,6,6), So no way

If you can improve your IELTS scores you can get yourself up into the CSL. Are you sure it is not worth swotting up and re-taking your IELTS?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
I am 11/2007 , 475 applicant , medical requested december 2008 and sent , no word inspite of sent PLE , I sent a mail to disocover that my medical were not received , after several correspondance they found it and finalised and just when the officer was ready for review , rules of 23/9 applied

now when i am enquiring about status after last week news they say that my application not in priority as it still needs assesment and not in final stage although medical is finalised

my medical is expiring in 10 days and don't know what to do

more than two years and it is still not assesed , what is my fault if medical file was lost by HOC for nine months and DIAC didn't inform me .

please help

Hi Nahla

In your shoes I would make a formal complaint via the Global Feedback Unit. It is not reasonable to punish you for the inefficiency of the HOC.

David Wilden of DIAC, who chaired last Monday's meeting in London, told us that he set up the Global Feedback Unit and that he gave it teeth. Your complaint will be investigated and the HOC will be asked to explain how and why your meds went missing.

I think Mr Wilden would advise you to complain to the GFU and it is definitely what I would do next if I were you.

Contact Us – Compliments and Complaints – Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone, i think 2012 is a little unrealistic for people who have SS for WA. By this i mean, people who are in cat 5 will be in demand mid next year. This is because the Gorgan Gas plant will be in construction by this stage and they are saying there are 10,000 jobs that need filling, 3000 of them permanent, which will leave Perth with a shortage of skilled labour. I currently live in Perth and the recession hasn’t really affected WA so much so when this project gets underway they will have to let more skilled migrants in because all the projects in the city still need to be completed. Just my opinion though but talking to a lot of fly in fly out tradies, as soon as Gorgan starts they are off.

Hi Wally

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The Minister reckons that he has included Gorgon, Oakajee and the other projects in his plans.

The Minister met with the Senate Estimates Committee on 20th October 2009. The transcript of the 15 hour or so long meeting is recorded in Hansard:

http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/S12494.pdf

The Minister claimed that he had met with the senior reps from the Gorgon Project and that both he and they are confident that the demand for the workers can be met from within Australia.

We queried this at the meeting in London last Monday because none of us think that the rest of Oz will club together to send 10,000 workers to sample the delights of the Pilbara.

David Wilden of DIAC takes the view that if the Minister's hunch is wrong, the 457 visa can be used as a means to import temporary workers promptly. A lot of the contractors involved with Gorgon - eg Leighton Contractors who will be doing the groundworks - do make great use of the 457 visa. Leighton have a Labour Agreement which allows them to have up to 500 temporary workers in Oz at any one time.

Mr Wilden also toed the party line very determinedly. He conceded readily that WA is particularly disgruntled about the 23rd September changes and is fighting really hard to get them reversed. However Mr Wilden and the PMO for the UK and Ireland told us that some of the other States support the Government on this issue.

They told us that NSW are not at all displeased with the new pecking order because NSW is itself very fussy about which would-be migrants it will sponsor - most of which limited range of migrants are on the CSL. They also said that at the moment QLD does not want new migrants going to QLD looking for someone to give them a job. Apparently QLD wants entrepreneurs with money to invest on starting businesses in QLD which will create employment for the people who are already there.

The week before, in a lengthy phone call, Mr Wilden told me that the Government has to strike a balance between the conflicting needs of the different States.

Whatever his personal views might be, Mr Wilden is a senior public servant whose salary depends on trotting out the party line like a good 'un. We couldn't shake his resolve about the issue of Gorgon and similar projects in WA and elsewhere.

More loyal than the Minister deserves imho but there it is.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Two quibbles about your ominbus replies.

I don't know what Jamie was thinking when he said there were as many CSL cases in Brisbane as Adelaide, my guess is no more than 2000 since the fashionable courses for a long time were all cooking and hairdressing, and only about 50% of accountancy graduates get enough on their IELTS to go into the CSL. As for the reference to Perth, that's just scare mongering, GSM cases are not handled in Perth.

Almost impossible for an IELTS test to expire if acceptable at time of lodgment. The time of application criteria for "competent" and "proficient" English, and the points test requirements for same, all use the same formula requiring that the test be satisfactory and have taken place no more than two years prior to the application. The definition of "functional" English does set a time limit of 12 months if you've done the ACCESS test but I'm sure no-one does that these days given that the IELTS test is universal.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Wally

They told us that NSW are not at all displeased with the new pecking order because NSW is itself very fussy about which would-be migrants it will sponsor - most of which limited range of migrants are on the CSL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well... considering that NSW is that fussy about sponsorship, and the fact that I received it within 1 week, doesnt that just shows how much the state(s) wants me/us?? It sound even more insane to make us wait till 2012 ...

Guest monkeydust

hi there

we had applied for a state sponsered visa back in april we got the approval and were asked if we could exit australia and re enter before the 12 of november which we agreed to.then with the changes the diac made on the 23rd of september we were told we got caught up in the changes and could be waiting up to two years for our application to be finalised.so we returned home as i was just on a holiday visa.is it possible now that our application could be processed in the next few months or am i picking up ur tread wrong. would be delighted if you could let me know thanks a lot.

Archived