Bloody centrelink

blondie

I am absolutely spitting nails here :mad:

My daughter is studying at Uni in Brisbane and is finally eligible to apply for Youth Allowance. She qualifies because she is in full time education and has earned the amount required in the previous 18 months. However, she received a call from Centrelink today to ask why she didn't live at home and had she ever been a victim of domestic abuse ... WHAT THE ?? She explained that the course she wanted to study was not offered in Sydney but she still has to go back in and fill out another form to state we did not beat her, they also asked if there was an independant person to verify she was not the victim of domestic abuse and was it ok if a Social Worker called on us at home. After checking their website this evening it's my understanding that there are numerous criteria to determine independant living of which you only need to 'tick the box' for one of those criteria.

She gave over her passport for ID to be told it wasn't enough, she offered her driving licence, again told it was not enough for 100 points needed. They ended up taking her passport, driving licence, medicare card, student ID card, bank card.

No wonder this bloody country has to recruit educated people from overseas, it seems the process of encouraging further education is to be stamped on from a great height.

It's just yet another example of the anal beauracracy this country strangles itself with.

Does anyone know if this is an over zealous employee of Centrelink please ?

Blondie

..... However, she received a call from Centrelink today to ask why she didn't live at home and had she ever been a victim of domestic abuse ... WHAT THE ?? She explained that the course she wanted to study was not offered in Sydney but she still has to go back in and fill out another form to state we did not beat her, they also asked if there was an independant person to verify she was not the victim of domestic abuse and was it ok if a Social Worker called on us at home....

It's called duty of care ... blondie.

She gave over her passport for ID to be told it wasn't enough, she offered her driving licence, again told it was not enough for 100 points needed. They ended up taking her passport, driving licence, medicare card, student ID card, bank card.
Andy your point is? can you count to 100 points or do you need help?

No wonder this bloody country has to recruit educated people from overseas, it seems the process of encouraging further education is to be stamped on from a great height. It's just yet another example of the anal beauracracy this country strangles itself with.
Blondie, I presume you count yourself among the educated people from overseas we need to recruit here to compensate for our lack right?

I think this is just a blonde joke.

Guest guest30038

My daughter is studying at Uni in Brisbane and is finally eligible to apply for Youth Allowance. She qualifies because she is in full time education and has earned the amount required in the previous 18 months. However, she received a call from Centrelink today to ask why she didn't live at home and had she ever been a victim of domestic abuse ... WHAT THE ?? She explained that the course she wanted to study was not offered in Sydney but she still has to go back in and fill out another form to state we did not beat her, they also asked if there was an independant person to verify she was not the victim of domestic abuse and was it ok if a Social Worker called on us at home. After checking their website this evening it's my understanding that there are numerous criteria to determine independant living of which you only need to 'tick the box' for one of those criteria.

No wonder this bloody country has to recruit educated people from overseas, it seems the process of encouraging further education is to be stamped on from a great height.

It's just yet another example of the anal beauracracy this country strangles itself with.

Blondie

Hi Blondie,

Youth allowance, like Austudy is granted with "parental obligations" (my words) taken into consideration, It is a legal obligation of the department to check as to living apart from the family home is by choice or neccessity, hence the questions as to whether the claimant left the parental home by choice...........abuse at home being one of the reasons a child may leave.

The welfare system needs to protect it's self from fraudulent or mis-guided claims, if it did not, ie explore every avenue of likely abuse, then it would likely be criticised for not so doing, just as you are criticising it for so doing.

The requiremt for id purposes is that a passport, driving licence, and medicare card would suffice. If they have taken more, I assume that it is because that was offered to them, not what was required.

My son has a disbility and I recieve a paltry 105 dollars a fortnight as Carers Allowance. he recently reached the age of 16 and they stopped the payment wiothout telling me that I could reclaim for him as an adult....I just thought that it had ceased via statute. I was required to re-claim for him as an adult (which they didn't tell me). I filled in the forms only to find that they needed proof of identity and so I rang them saying that they had his id on file and that they had been paying me for the last 12 yrs anyway, so had all the info that they needed. The person from centrelink was ever so polite and apologised saying that most letters in response to claims are initially computer generated and the computer doesn't know that you are already on file (bad programming). I therfore had to send all 3 documents, that they had previously recognised, via registered post.........I did what was required because that was the rquirement................to vent on PIO, or indeed, rant and rave at the poor girl on the end of the phone, would not have got me any closer to finalising my claim.

The point that I'm trying to make is that if your claim is genuine, then despite how frustrating the claim process may be, it is there for the protection of the taxpayer and as such, may be questioned by claimants, but if it wasn't, then the taxpayer would be up in arms.

This is not a case of a "jobsworthy" (personally, I think they're few and far between as all civil servants have to work according to guidelines) but more a case of.....................here we go whingeing Poms......................if ya don't like it.............go to a country which more suits your taste..................sorry...............got carried away there for a minute :biglaugh:.............seriously, it may be frustrating but who is more aware of the abuse of the system..........you or they?

kev

It's called duty of care ... blondie.

Andy your point is? can you count to 100 points or do you need help?

Blondie, I presume you count yourself among the educated people from overseas we need to recruit here to compensate for our lack right?

I think this is just a blonde joke.

My, my .... you do like to get personal don't you?

One other thing though, you made a spelling mistake whilst questioning my ability to count :wink:

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Blondie,

I tend to agree with Kev in his comments,there are certain tests that Centrelink carry out to ensure that not only are people who apply for payments eligible for what they are claiming but also to ensure that they receive everything they are entitled to,however they do have to abide by standards dealing with privacy and the use of personal information etc,if you think that any of these standards have been breached or you just want to lodge a complaint about the process you can do so by checking out this page.

Complaints

There is also a PDF brochure about Youth Allowance and how claims are made,including ID requirements.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ci004_0907/$file/ci004_0907en.pdf

Blondie

Hi Blondie, it seems to me that centerlink are disputing the fact the she may have qualified under the 18 mnth rule. Firstly is she an Australian Citizen? because if she's only PR she won't get it anyway. When did she leave school? we're coming to the end of the academic year now so I assume that she took a gap year or has just finished year 2 because otherwise she won't have left school 18 mnths ago. Also when did she actually start work? You say that she has earned the required amount but this amount changes depending on when she started work. I think they believe that someone in full time education will find it hard to meet the criteria once they have started uni. I know our son who has just completed his 4th year in QLD at uni (we live in VIC) has never been able to claim Youth allowance. Firstly because he was only PR then after taking citizenship because although he worked as much as he possibly could his hourly rate was so low that he couldn't earn enough in a single 18 month period and do a full time course. He tried under the 2 year rule, working 15+ a week but was declined because he took a holiday to come home for Christmas!! and the period has to be continuous!!!!!!

I think that they are trying to phase out this benefit for students in my opinion. As from january I think they will have to have worked full time for 2 years, as students can usually only defer and take a 1 year gap year then this will mean that they will have to work full time (30+ hours a week) plus study full time for the first year to be eligible under the independant rule.

Good luck though.

I'm glad the government aren't handing out my hard earned tax willy nilly.

But they are my friend they are. Whilst we bicker over a blonde post, our elected representatives are handing out money, not even among the one living here but actualy legislating to send BILLIONS to obscure contries who will spend it on arms and luxury homes for their kings/courtisnas/parlamentarians. Its called ETS and the non existing opposition has yet to wake up to this scam we are entering into so that the clown of the day can get his seat among the other clowns at the "circus maximus" aka UN.:arghh:

But they are my friend they are. Whilst we bicker over a blonde post, our elected representatives are handing out money, not even among the one living here but actualy legislating to send BILLIONS to obscure contries who will spend it on arms and luxury homes for their kings/courtisnas/parlamentarians. Its called ETS and the non existing opposition has yet to wake up to this scam we are entering into so that the clown of the day can get his seat among the other clowns at the "circus maximus" aka UN.:arghh:

Well thats a whole new thread, but in this instance I think they have got it right.

That is indeed a whole other thread but you are so right about this scam. Conspiracy doesnt even begin to describe it.

Unless you are on a low income and live a certain distance away forget it. They can say they cannot get on with Mum and Dad etc and sign a dec but is it worth it. Mine just stayed at home and we picked up the tab.

If your daughter went away to university then she would be entitled. My son and daughter got assistance when they did their post grad as they were not in Melbourne.

Also if you are 25 then you are considered an adult and you get assistance.

Its a way for the government to try to stop rorts but still goes on. My daughter's friend used to get it all yet they had oodles of dosh all tied up nicely as they had a business.

Students are entitled to cheap travel in Victoria and once a child is 16 they can have their own medicare card. They can get a health card to assist them with medicines and doctors etc they just have to show their bank book to centrelink.

Unless you are on a low income and live a certain distance away forget it. They can say they cannot get on with Mum and Dad etc and sign a dec but is it worth it. Mine just stayed at home and we picked up the tab.

If your daughter went away to university then she would be entitled. My son and daughter got assistance when they did their post grad as they were not in Melbourne.

Also if you are 25 then you are considered an adult and you get assistance.

Its a way for the government to try to stop rorts but still goes on. My daughter's friend used to get it all yet they had oodles of dosh all tied up nicely as they had a business.

Students are entitled to cheap travel in Victoria and once a child is 16 they can have their own medicare card. They can get a health card to assist them with medicines and doctors etc they just have to show their bank book to centrelink.

Thanks for this info. My daughter couldn't get the course she wanted in Sydney so had to go to Brisbane. Up to now we have helped with the cost but do not earn enough to maintain this in the longterm. I understand the system is abused, there's always some who will push their luck. I can even understand a 16 or 17 year old explaining why they choose not to live at home but my daughter is nearly 21, legally an adult !

It doesn't help that the process for her friends in the UK is so much easier with their student loans.

It all seemed so much easier when they were little !!

You do get centrelink help if you live away from home, the reason my children did not get it was because they lived here in Melbourne. If your daughter is going interstate she should get austudy or similar payment like mine did when they went away to uni.

Send your daughter down to Centrelink to organise, she will have to do it. Go with her and speak to someone they are very helpful.

She will be due rent assistance as well.

I'm glad the government aren't handing out my hard earned tax willy nilly.

Don't forget that when these students graduate, they will be the ones funding your pension, medicare etc!!

For those who don't have parents that can afford to support them thro' Uni many will give up for financial reasons because they can't afford to live and there is no student loan that covers living expenses that they can apply for and pay back when earning as in many othjer countries including the UK.

You do get centrelink help if you live away from home, the reason my children did not get it was because they lived here in Melbourne. If your daughter is going interstate she should get austudy or similar payment like mine did when they went away to uni.

Send your daughter down to Centrelink to organise, she will have to do it. Go with her and speak to someone they are very helpful.

She will be due rent assistance as well.

She will only get Austudy if she is over 25. If like my son (now 22) and in year 4 of study even if they live interstate they won't be entitled to anything unless they qualify for youth allowance as previously mentioned. Also don't forget that if they go on to Masters (my son is doing this at present) that unless it is in a disipline such as Medicine then they are ineligible for youth allowance anyway, although they can get it for the Hons year of a BSc if they qualify.

Don't forget that when these students graduate, they will be the ones funding your pension, medicare etc!!

For those who don't have parents that can afford to support them thro' Uni many will give up for financial reasons because they can't afford to live and there is no student loan that covers living expenses that they can apply for and pay back when earning as in many othjer countries including the UK.

No they won't, I have ensured I will be a self funded retiree.

Pensions will almost be a thing of the past soon, hence the focus on super annuation.

Archived