Help a big dilemma !!!!!!

Mark&Karen

Our 2 kids (5yrs & 3yrs) have dual nationality, they hold British Passports and they also have Australian Citizenship Certificates, but no Australian Passport. Last night we went online to obtain an eVisitor visa (new version of ETA) for our two kids, it was refused on the grounds that they're Australian citizens.

Our concern now, is whether they will be allowed to board the flight at London and also whether they will be allowed into Australia once we land, as it seems that Australian Citizens need an Australian passport to enter Australia and obviously a UK passport is of no use. We have flights booked in 14 days time, so not feeling confident that we can get Australian passports issued in time.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or can perhaps give us some helpful advice. I guess our only option is take their certificates along with us and hope for the best.

As far as I know, as Australian citizens your children must have Australian passports. I know when we obtained our citizenship we were told we could only travel into Australia on Australian passports.

Good Luck!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Hi, Can i ask why you havent got their Australian passports?

Its really quick, we got our kids within a week of applying for them. You have to attend your nearest office, ours was in Edinburgh. They send the form to London and the passports are sent out to you.

As far as I remember all we needed was their birth certificates and their Australian Citizen Certificates.

Guest wanderer

Mark&Karen,

Help a big dilemma !!!!!!

Our 2 kids (5yrs & 3yrs) have dual nationality, they hold British Passports and they also have Australian Citizenship Certificates, but no Australian Passport. Last night we went online to obtain an eVisitor visa (new version of ETA) for our two kids, it was refused on the grounds that they're Australian citizens.

Our concern now, is whether they will be allowed to board the flight at London and also whether they will be allowed into Australia once we land, as it seems that Australian Citizens need an Australian passport to enter Australia and obviously a UK passport is of no use. We have flights booked in 14 days time, so not feeling confident that we can get Australian passports issued in time.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or can perhaps give us some helpful advice. I guess our only option is take their certificates along with us and hope for the best.

Rudi has it right as the legality of being an Australian citizen is apparently that they cannot be issued with a Visa.

EDIT:

I remember on another thread there was mention by an IA of a special issue type visa - a Declaratory Visa - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70137-aussie-wanting-come-home-her-british-children-3.html Post #29

As for being allowed to board an aircraft, it'll be No without a Visa or an Aussie passport.

As Hughes indicates, passports can be obtained reasonably quickly if you get your running shoes on, though you may need to see if they have a fast track service [and expect to pay for it].

Alternately ask about the Declaratory Visa - I think you have to be an Aussie Citizen with an Aussie Passport for that yourself, from the DV sheet and what Les quotes from PAM re allowing a dependant to travel on your passport.

You can get Aus Passports issued in a day, for an extra fee of course. You need to ring and book and appointment for this. We had the same issue when DH was granted citizenship earlier this year and relaised he couldnt go to Aus on the evisitor we'd applied for.

We walked the streets of London for 5 hours very nervous after being told wait and see if you get it as it was a first passport. Got back to Australia House just before closing and it was ready. Big relief as we were flying the next day.

Hi Shel, my wife has managed to setup an interview at Australia Hse, London for Friday so fingers crossed we'll have the passports sent to us on Monday. The person she spoke with commented that there are quite a few people like us who get their kids Australian Citizenship and do not realise that you then need an Australian Passport so that they may enter Australia. Apparently they plan to send out letters in future to those who are issued Citizenship certificates, so that they are aware of this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived