help needed regarding money transfer???

gail39

Please can someone explain to me in simple terms as my head is buzzing at the mo:arghh: !!!!

if we transfer our money to a oz bank,for when we arrive ,we activate the bank account on arrival...how do we pay for car hire etc when we dont have a credit card in uk?????please dont think i am thick just getting really confused,we have a barclays debit but not a credit card..if we get a credit card in the uk to pay for car hire etc rental when we arrive...where does the bill go to at the end of the month? or do we just take our barclays visa debit card....PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME AS IT IS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!:mad: WITH CONFUSION thanks gail

Guest Watersports

I feel your pain, right now I'm trying to go through which bank account is best to open, who charges the least (Huh!), who gives me the most interest (none!) and who gives the best exchange rate for my lump of hard-earnt english cash. Nightmare......

Best bet would be to get a UK credit card, yes I know it's annoying, but it's good for security and just in case type emergencies. I would go for Nationwide credit card as they don't charge for foreign transactions. Then you can set up an automatic direct debit to pay in full or minimum balance or even a set amount each month from your own bank account.

Not sure if it's still happening, but when I got my NW credit card a few months back they were also giving 6 months interest free, so I just pay minimum balance and put the money I've spent in a nationwide savings account which I'll transfer over in 6 months time when the deal runs out.

All of their accounts are accessible online so you can move money around, pay bills, check statements etc.

HOpe that helps, ask questions if I've just confused matters more!

Hiya ,,you stressing again woman ????lol ,,,get a credit card to take with you and put the adress of a relly for the bill to go to ,,if your leaving a little cash in a uk account leave a couple of cheques so they can pay your bill at the end of the month ,,alternatively use a friends credit card and pay them back when booking your hire car ,,we did use our uk card here a little at first ,,hope this helps

Cal x

Guest The Picketts

Hi Gail - I would definitely recommend getting a Nationwide Bdg Society credit card. I have set up an account with them in anticipation of our move to Perth in September. I have also set up a Flex account with them (current account). I will be having my pensions paid directly into this in the UK which I can then draw out from a hole in the wall in Oz without charge.

They do not charge for use of a credit card abroad either to pay for things - most credit cards and banks charge a minimum of 2.75% plus another 1.5% fee for each transaction.

The Nationwide accounts can all be managed online and can be paperless. There was no problem opening this account even though I was going to be living in WA.

regards - The Picketts

Guest BullcreekBob
Hi Gail - I would definitely recommend getting a Nationwide Bdg Society credit card.

G'day

We use a Nationwide Debit card, it can be used as a Visa card but just takes money straight out ratheer than credit. We can use it at any hole-in-the-wall and absolutely no fees and very good conversion rates.

BullcreekBob:wink:

How long have you been in OZ??

You still use a nationwide account??

Do you manage this online ??

Are Nationwide affilliated with any Ozzie Bank??

So many questions but We have a Nationwide account and credit card here in uk and are looking into the banking situation when we finally get to OZ.:arghh:

Any help will be appreciated.:notworthy:

Neil...

Guest koala12

Calm down Neil!!!! I know there are so many things to think and worry about but with

internet banking everything is very simple! I also have nationwide credit card which I use a lot in Oz as no interest charged and you get a really good rate of exchange too! I have a bank account still in UK so I just transfer money from that into the nationwide when it's due. I also have Commonwealth Bank account here which was opened up in London before we left and corresponding one opened up in Oz so when we arrived just had to go in and sign papers and cards were all ready for us - had to order credit cards though. The CBA in London stays active for 2 years so you can transfer money between the 2 accounts for that time.

Hope this helps?

Karen

Archived