Form 40SP question about employment

Metoo

I am in the process of filling out Form 40SP for a defacto sponsership, there is a new one now it has just been updated, on the new one question 35, (34 on the previous one) asks "have you been in paid employment over the past 2 years" well thanks to the state of the economy I have had some periods of unemployment and I was wondering if that will have an effect. I am an Australian citizen so cannot be refused entry and the question looks to me like it is aimed at sponsers who are Australian residents already.

Most people who migrate to Australia will be unemployed on arrival so I find the question a bit strange. What has anyone else done and whats anyone's experience who has already done this?

Guest Paussie

When I applied for a spouse Visa (my OH is Aussie citizen) my other half had been in part-time employment for two years but we didn't have a lot of money. She wrote a letter detailing her employment prospects and our plans for when we arrived. She also stated that she could get an Assurance of Support in Australia if things didn't work out exactly as we planned.

(Thankfully, it has worked out better!)

I applied for a Temporary Partner Visa onshore. My partner is an Australian citizen. To shoo your worries away, I'm gonna give you her employment history over the last 2 years (November 2007-November 2009)...

My partner was in a casual employment from Nov 07 to May 08 but that was just on paper coz she rarely went to work! I included her income tax return for that period in my visa application (I'm not sure if it helped). From May 08 to March 09, she was unemployed. She then found a casual employment but since her pay wasn't enough for us (I wasn't working coz I was on a visitor visa that time), she went on Centrelink for 6months and was able to find two more casual jobs after that. She has basically been in a part-time employment for only two months when I lodged my visa application. I sent copies of some of her payslips and employment contract with my application and.... TA-DA! VISA GRANTED WITHOUT NEEDING TO PROVIDE ASSURANCE OF SUPPORT!

Good luck on your application. I hope you wouldn't need to provide a bond too..

Cheers!

Archived