Who's coming home

Bod

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tlander56
We will be heading back next year around May/June....it is not that I do not like Australia...it is just I miss my family so much and never imagined how hard it would be living here with 2 young boys and no family around us.....fine when it was the 2 of us. To me it does not feel right not having my boys grow up with extended family. We do live in a lovely house, lovely area but if you do not have anyone to share it with what is the point.....I know some people have said I should live for my immediate family but I am sorry I cannot help the way I feel and try as I might it has been difficult for me not to have the family support. I also feel guilty having 2 lovely boys that my family do not get to enjoy......

Good luck for everyone returning....for me it was the biggest decision I have ever had to make, so much harder than the one to move here!!

We feel exactly the same...returning early next year after over 3 years here. OH is Australian, but looking forward to getting back to the UK :biggrin:

Lots of planning to do!

I just hope that my sale of house goes well - .... there is indeed a lot of planning and a lot of $$ also. have filled a whole writing pad of things to do (been here 14 years!) but thing most things are ticked off. But there's always more. Can't wait for the cold weather and seasons again.

Guest tlander56
I just hope that my sale of house goes well - .... there is indeed a lot of planning and a lot of $$ also. have filled a whole writing pad of things to do (been here 14 years!) but thing most things are ticked off. But there's always more. Can't wait for the cold weather and seasons again.

oooh me too, wish we were going to be back by christmas...but won't happen at this late stage:no:

we have just accepted an offer on our house!!!!, northern england here we come!!!

Great News John....what did you decide to do with your citizenship ceremony?

we hope to get in for oz day in jan, failing that it will be march and we'll have to hang around for it. knowing your going gives you a different perspective on things....i didnt mind doing my crap,crap,crap, paid casual job today and the weather seemed pleasant....on the other hand i went to the local shopping centre this evening and saw all the usual entrants for the 'nsw zz top impersonation awards', clad in there filthy workclothes , driving the obvious white ute!!. i will never understand this!, and i am a 'tradie' as well, but i chose to get out of my work gear as soon as poss, always did in the uk and also here. is it a macho/status thing?, well i suppose i used to wear my overals to the bank on a friday.....when i was 16yrs old!....be boring if we were all the same.

Guest guest30038
i went to the local shopping centre this evening and saw all the usual entrants for the 'nsw zz top impersonation awards', clad in there filthy workclothes , driving the obvious white ute!!. i will never understand this!, and i am a 'tradie' as well, but i chose to get out of my work gear as soon as poss, always did in the uk and also here. is it a macho/status thing?,

Perhaps they work later than you or don't put so much store on appearance? Talk about judgemental? Just 'cause they're still in their work clothes, why find reason to criticise? probably nice blokes that simply can't be bothered......then again............if they can't be bothered that makes 'em a lesser person than you............or does it? Feck me...........I'm amazed at just how judgemental some folk can be ( and they're invariably Poms with an axe to grind)............I've been her 14 yrs and only worn a tie once, what a wanker I must be! :cry:.......I see folk down at Coles still in their pj's, does that say more about them or the folk that judge 'em?

Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead in pj's or allow my kids to go down there dressed like that, but that's a personal choice and not a choice that I would put store by in criticisng those who, like me, exercise their personal choice.

I betcha some of those blokes in the "zz top impersonation awards can Capitalise and spell though. :biglaugh:

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

kev

Guest siamsusie

My husband stops off at the shops or the post office en route back home, still in his work clothes, he is also a tradie! I am exceptionally proud of this person and couldnt give a damn how dirty he is. As my Oma used to say she couldnt stand "scum" but good plain old honest dirt was good enough in her books!

Oh btw the proverbial work vechicle comes with the territory. Best wishes Susie

Hi ya

Just wondering as we will have a child that will be 11 when we leave the UK, why you have always wanted to leave Australia (IMHO) a child at 10 wouldn't feel they are missing anything and treat it more as an adventure compaired to lets say a teenager who is starting to find themselves?

I'm not having a go just interested in your thoughts :wubclub:

Hi tracy123 iam more than happy to answer your question. Firstly i would like to point out that kids arriving in oz today have a totally different world to live in than i did back in 1974 and i think alot depends on the individual as to how they cope. Not every body will have had the same experience as me thankfully and i wish you and your family all the best. We came to oz in 1974, my mum, dad and brother who was 6. We had no other family here. My dad made the decision to move here as the u.k. was in much financial turmoil and as he was an engineer he was worried that he would end up on 12 month contracts over in Saudi like most of his work mates were. He had a mortgage and things were always a struggle financially he never seemed to get ahead but the unemployed in the council houses to him appared to have everything for no effort and he was sick of it. As an dult with kids i fully understand his motivation and admire his determination. He had an engineering job here in oz to come over to. We settled in a small country town and it was hell. My mum didnt drive, there was no public transport only a few shops and poms were not well tolerated. The local kids would march up and down our street shouting 'poms go home' etc. This was also the situation in school and we were made fun of constantly due to our accents, which my brother and i soon learnt to hide and get up to speed with an oz one. My mum developed deep depresion and isolation as she was used to always having her family pop in and could catch a bus anywhere. My dad made it clear we could not go back and it would all be fine eventually. We as kids had had a great life in the u.k. always playing with our mates loads of family and we adored out grandparents, school was good and we were happy regular kids. The shock of being so cut off from home [there was no internet etc and we were lucky if we could get the phone to connect to the uk. ] was difficult for us kids. The kids here were so different and iam not entirely sure why but they just kind of had no character or depth to them. I used to pray that my dad would announce that we could all go home but he never did, it just went on endlessly. Some thing in me died here and it only ever comes to life when iam in the u.k. Green fields, snow, laughter thats genuine, people that i have a true kinship with, roses that smell like roses, pavements, forrests and i know it all sounds daft but its how i feel. When iam there its as if oz never happend, i can totally wipe it all. My parents will stay here although my mum would still go back tomorrow if she could, my brother would go back if he could financially afford it and my dad claims he has no desire to return there. I can now afford to go back and will be taking my 16 yr old and my 5 yr old with me. Will my kids long for the gum trees and bushland, who knows, will they be writing on a forum for ozies in the u.k. in 20 years time longing to go home back to oz??? I do know that a happy mum is a happy home is a happy child. All the best tracy123 xxx

Perhaps they work later than you or don't put so much store on appearance? Talk about judgemental? Just 'cause they're still in their work clothes, why find reason to criticise? probably nice blokes that simply can't be bothered......then again............if they can't be bothered that makes 'em a lesser person than you............or does it? Feck me...........I'm amazed at just how judgemental some folk can be ( and they're invariably Poms with an axe to grind)............I've been her 14 yrs and only worn a tie once, what a wanker I must be! :cry:.......I see folk down at Coles still in their pj's, does that say more about them or the folk that judge 'em?

Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead in pj's or allow my kids to go down there dressed like that, but that's a personal choice and not a choice that I would put store by in criticisng those who, like me, exercise their personal choice.

I betcha some of those blokes in the "zz top impersonation awards can Capitalise and spell though. :biglaugh:

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

kev

Well feck me, havent you just judged him ???? Thats his opinion and he is entitled to it.

Hi tracy123 iam more than happy to answer your question. Firstly i would like to point out that kids arriving in oz today have a totally different world to live in than i did back in 1974 and i think alot depends on the individual as to how they cope. Not every body will have had the same experience as me thankfully and i wish you and your family all the best. We came to oz in 1974, my mum, dad and brother who was 6. We had no other family here. My dad made the decision to move here as the u.k. was in much financial turmoil and as he was an engineer he was worried that he would end up on 12 month contracts over in Saudi like most of his work mates were. He had a mortgage and things were always a struggle financially he never seemed to get ahead but the unemployed in the council houses to him appared to have everything for no effort and he was sick of it. As an dult with kids i fully understand his motivation and admire his determination. He had an engineering job here in oz to come over to. We settled in a small country town and it was hell. My mum didnt drive, there was no public transport only a few shops and poms were not well tolerated. The local kids would march up and down our street shouting 'poms go home' etc. This was also the situation in school and we were made fun of constantly due to our accents, which my brother and i soon learnt to hide and get up to speed with an oz one. My mum developed deep depresion and isolation as she was used to always having her family pop in and could catch a bus anywhere. My dad made it clear we could not go back and it would all be fine eventually. We as kids had had a great life in the u.k. always playing with our mates loads of family and we adored out grandparents, school was good and we were happy regular kids. The shock of being so cut off from home [there was no internet etc and we were lucky if we could get the phone to connect to the uk. ] was difficult for us kids. The kids here were so different and iam not entirely sure why but they just kind of had no character or depth to them. I used to pray that my dad would announce that we could all go home but he never did, it just went on endlessly. Some thing in me died here and it only ever comes to life when iam in the u.k. Green fields, snow, laughter thats genuine, people that i have a true kinship with, roses that smell like roses, pavements, forrests and i know it all sounds daft but its how i feel. When iam there its as if oz never happend, i can totally wipe it all. My parents will stay here although my mum would still go back tomorrow if she could, my brother would go back if he could financially afford it and my dad claims he has no desire to return there. I can now afford to go back and will be taking my 16 yr old and my 5 yr old with me. Will my kids long for the gum trees and bushland, who knows, will they be writing on a forum for ozies in the u.k. in 20 years time longing to go home back to oz??? I do know that a happy mum is a happy home is a happy child. All the best tracy123 xxx

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question, I wish you well with your move and new life

Cheers

Geoffrey

Making an effort in ones appearance says a lot about a person. I once worked with an Irishman that used to brush himself down, buff his shoes and don a bowler hat, he would have one of those old top opening breif cases with his flask in it. He put a few city gents to shame as he got the train home.

Those zz top slobs with their stained flannel shirts and stuby shorts are just slobs plain and simple. IMO:wink:

Scaffolders are the UK equivalent if you want to retort with a dig at the UK:biglaugh:

Guest jollyroger
Making an effort in ones appearance says a lot about a person. I once worked with an Irishman that used to brush himself down, buff his shoes and don a bowler hat, he would have one of those old top opening breif cases with his flask in it. He put a few city gents to shame as he got the train home.

Those zz top slobs with their stained flannel shirts and stuby shorts are just slobs plain and simple. IMO:wink:

Scaffolders are the UK equivalent if you want to retort with a dig at the UK:biglaugh:

I agree,

What's with the mega short shorts,it's the gayest looking thing I've seen in my life.

And of course the big tattoos.

Those guys I've seen on sites are requiring a visit from the fashion police..Post haste!!

Your very charming somtimes Geoffrey.

Nice reply to a nice reply

True... Sometimes i don't know whether i want to playfully squeeze his chubby little cheeks or shake him hard until he turns blue.:biglaugh:

Guest guest30038
Well feck me, havent you just judged him ???? Thats his opinion and he is entitled to it.

Yep, and I wouldn't deny anyone an opinion, or the right to question an opinion, as I just did.

kev

Guest treesea

The first time my parents moved abroad I was six. I remember coming back for a visit one year - always traumatic because my grandparents were devastated when we first moved, then doubly so when we came back, only stayed a short while and decided to move on again, - and saying to my Nana "Don't worry. One day, I'll be back." I missed my extended family all the time I was away. Sadly some of them have passed on so missed out on seeing my own family. I remember Christmas as being kind of empty once we left the UK - friends came over occasionally, but extended family very rarely. Our family already in Australia lived in a different state - it may as well have been a different country in those days. We managed three visits to them in 15 years.

Being back just feels wonderful. My land beneath my feet at last. We left behind a house, a flat, new cars and a six figure income to come back here. Now we're self employed, and that has been a struggle, setting up a business then being hit by the recession, but I knew it would be a struggle here financially compared with Australia and that we were coming back to a relatively low wage economy. It was never about the money. At the end of the day all you really need is enough money to pay the rent and put food on the table. It has never come to this, but if we had ended up in a council house on the dole, I couldn't have cared less. Home is home. For those of us who can make our home wherever we find ourselves in the world, good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

My children are born in Australia, so, just as their grandmother is now growing up without them, I realise that once they grow up they could return to their land just as I have to mine, but I figure I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. But the difference between them and me is that they are coming here to a large, extended family, whereas we left our family behind when we left the UK.

I used to think that Australians seemed kind of empty compared to Brits, but I don't think that was it. It was more that I felt emptier in Australia than I do here. A feeling like something was missing. Even though we had a good life, with close friends and family. Have you ever driven around Scotland looking for deer (or Australia, looking for kangaroos) and hardly seeing any, then, all of a sudden, your eyes come into focus and you realise they are everywhere? It's like being in a place where you're slightly out of focus, and then coming back here and everything coming into focus.

The first time my parents moved abroad I was six. I remember coming back for a visit one year - always traumatic because my grandparents were devastated when we first moved, then doubly so when we came back, only stayed a short while and decided to move on again, - and saying to my Nana "Don't worry. One day, I'll be back." I missed my extended family all the time I was away. Sadly some of them have passed on so missed out on seeing my own family. I remember Christmas as being kind of empty once we left the UK - friends came over occasionally, but extended family very rarely. Our family already in Australia lived in a different state - it may as well have been a different country in those days. We managed three visits to them in 15 years.

Being back just feels wonderful. My land beneath my feet at last. We left behind a house, a flat, new cars and a six figure income to come back here. Now we're self employed, and that has been a struggle, setting up a business then being hit by the recession, but I knew it would be a struggle here financially compared with Australia and that we were coming back to a relatively low wage economy. It was never about the money. At the end of the day all you really need is enough money to pay the rent and put food on the table. It has never come to this, but if we had ended up in a council house on the dole, I couldn't have cared less. Home is home. For those of us who can make our home wherever we find ourselves in the world, good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

My children are born in Australia, so, just as their grandmother is now growing up without them, I realise that once they grow up they could return to their land just as I have to mine, but I figure I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. But the difference between them and me is that they are coming here to a large, extended family, whereas we left our family behind when we left the UK.

I used to think that Australians seemed kind of empty compared to Brits, but I don't think that was it. It was more that I felt emptier in Australia than I do here. A feeling like something was missing. Even though we had a good life, with close friends and family. Have you ever driven around Scotland looking for deer (or Australia, looking for kangaroos) and hardly seeing any, then, all of a sudden, your eyes come into focus and you realise they are everywhere? It's like being in a place where you're slightly out of focus, and then coming back here and everything coming into focus.

Hi treesea, thanx for your post, i appreciate so much knowing that some one feels as i do and can make a go of it. How are your kids finding things? Do they miss oz at all?

Why thank you John

Sorry your thread has turned to ****, we should have the right to be heard (some more than others :tongue: (JOKE))

Geoffrey I appriciate the guest appearance from you (Very Pleasant) now sod off.

I'm off to socialise with the untie Aussie crew.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Why thank you John

Sorry your thread has turned to ****, we should have the right to be heard (some more than others :tongue: (JOKE))

Hi Tracy,

you are wrong to say this thread has turned to **** because it was **** to start with,

jim.:biglaugh:

Hi Tracy,

you are wrong to say this thread has turned to **** because it was **** to start with,

jim.:biglaugh:

Thats very ignorant Jim. I'd tell you what I tell Geoffrey but Geoffrey know s I'm only joking.

Archived