Amazing WA

landv

Just been for a short break in the Margaret River region and I just wanted to say how truly amazing the area was.

The town itself was very charming with lovely little shops and the place where we stayed was magical. Reminded me a little bit of the UK with all those honeysuckles, lavenders but there were also wild iris and arum lilies growing in the wild, jasmine growing up on the side of the houses, and big headed garden roses.

Kangoroos came out at dusk to graze on the grass and drink out of the pond where hundreds of water lilies were floating. Then came the rabbits to join them too.

There was a brook running at the bottom of the garden surrounded by arum lilies.

Birds were plenty too, fairy wrens and parrots and were so thame, they came up to our feet, and we saw a hawk flying very close by too.

Surfed the world famous waves at the rivermouth, then drove to Yallingup which was lovely too, very hippy, then carried onto Eagle Bay, checked out the lighthouse at Cape Naturaliste and discovered a little beach where we swam in the crystal clear water and saw whales on the horizon.

And the stars in the sky at night were like in a dream.

Well, I almost felt like I was in a dream. It is like a fairytale.

I absolutely love it here. :wubclub:

Just been for a short break in the Margaret River region and I just wanted to say how truly amazing the area was.

The town itself was very charming with lovely little shops and the place where we stayed was magical. Reminded me a little bit of the UK with all those honeysuckles, lavenders but there were also wild iris and arum lilies growing in the wild, jasmine growing up on the side of the houses, and big headed garden roses.

Kangoroos came out at dusk to graze on the grass and drink out of the pond where hundreds of water lilies were floating. Then came the rabbits to join them too.

There was a brook running at the bottom of the garden surrounded by arum lilies.

Birds were plenty too, fairy wrens and parrots and were so thame, they came up to our feet, and we saw a hawk flying very close by too.

Surfed the world famous waves at the rivermouth, then drove to Yallingup which was lovely too, very hippy, then carried onto Eagle Bay, checked out the lighthouse at Cape Naturaliste and discovered a little beach where we swam in the crystal clear water and saw whales on the horizon.

Sorry Landy , it never did it for me busselton is ok .......but heading south Margaret river , pemberton, Albany ......not for me

Guest siamsusie

It is a beautiful place, we camp a fair bit down there, and all of the above reminds you why you came to Australia. I am trying to recall the old paper mill near manjimup as well, beautiful old cottages where the roos eat out of your hands., the wild life is stunning . So pleased you enjoyed yourself:wubclub: ss

Can you tell me where you stayed? We are looking to go there soon so would love a reccommendation of where to stay

thanks

Emma

Hi Emma,

We stayed in Pinda Lodge, it's a little bit out of town, right in the valley, in the middle of bushland.

Here is the link

www.pindalodge.com.au

It's a little bit pricey, but well worth it, it was a treat from my husband for my birthday.

Run by a lovely couple, very homely, there are only four rooms.

And they cook delicious breakfast too which you eat out on the verandah.

If you love wildlife and the sounds of bird singing in the morning and the fact that it's the middle of nowhere, this place is for you.

Pretty good, hey landv??

Now, save up and see the Kimberlies. Suggest you drive from Broom, to Kununurra, to Wyndham, down to El Questro and along the Gibb River road to Derby, some amazing contrasts...

Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj,

How long is the drive from Broome to Kununurra?

Looking on the map, probably have to camp it out on the journey.

Bobj,

How long is the drive from Broome to Kununurra?

Looking on the map, probably have to camp it out on the journey.

As SS says, about 1045 km. I used to drive it once a week at one stage...

If you , or anyone does the trip; when you get to the Willare bridge...remember me, please:laugh: I did the original foundation work in 1965...There was nothing there at all, just me, a 'dozer operator, my offsider and a big yellow dog that adopted me...

4260111-27-13-9-09---Fitzroy-River-again-between-Willare-Bridge-Roadhouse--Broome-0.jpg

Lifted this from another google site. Excellent barra fishing in my day, no idea what it's like today.

Those little 'beaches' on the left used to be a crocodile paradise, would see up to 20 basking in the sun.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. How remiss of me...I misspelt Broome in my earlier post..

Got all you bloody Qland tourists comin the soddin toads

[b]STOP THE TOAD[/b]

Just watch it, mate!!! We sent them over in good faith AND sent them as cheaply as we could...So you blokes wouldn't have to pay any transport fees...:wink:

Also, they like to breed when it rains, therefore you lot should get a wetter WA soon.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Landv

If you take Bobj's advice and head to the beaut north you should also try and get to karijini national park in the pilbara.My wife and I spent a year travelling around Australia and we both reckon Karijini was the number one sight.Absolutely spectacular gorges,beautiful natural pools and great bushcamping. Dont miss it!!!

Hi Landv

If you take Bobj's advice and head to the beaut north you should also try and get to karijini national park in the pilbara.My wife and I spent a year travelling around Australia and we both reckon Karijini was the number one sight.Absolutely spectacular gorges,beautiful natural pools and great bushcamping. Dont miss it!!!

Good one, mate! Karijini was not known when I was there and, yes, some spectacular gorges and pools. Spent 2 years helping build iron ore railways, Mt. Tom Price-Paraburdoo and Robe River.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 4 months later...
Guest Jojingle

Thank you - your beautiful post has made me cry. I'm getting married in the Margaret River region in October and emigrating to perth in September - very excited and very nervous but you have reinforced how I feel about the place

Archived