jelly fish

theonetruechris

Do they look like clear round blobs? No they are nothing to worry about, we think they are jelly fish eggs encased in whatever that blob like consistency stuff is, I've tried googling them unsuccessfully but I have heard locals mentioning it when we are on the beach, you can touch them they feel weird! Hope that helps.

Spent the day at the beach today. Theres lots of jelly fish like things on the sand near the water. Are these anything to be concerned about. everyone at the beach seem to ignore the fact they are there, so should we too?

G'day mate, helps us if you say where you are...Southern Australia, generally not dangerous, northern Australia, bluebottles, portuguese man-o-war, box jellyfish and irukandji...very dangerous.

Cheers, Bobj.

Make sure you keep some vinegar in your esky-that nullifies the poison a bit

Up north the councils provide vineger on the beach!

G'day mate, unfortunately that is not quite right regards the vinegar...it used to be. However, the numbers of tourists up north began using the vinegar on their fish 'n' chips...Sad, but true.

Cheers, Bobj.

Spent the day at the beach today. Theres lots of jelly fish like things on the sand near the water. Are these anything to be concerned about. everyone at the beach seem to ignore the fact they are there, so should we too?

Did they look like this?

th_Sept09197.jpg

th_Sept09199.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

We took these photos on the Gold Coast last August. Loads of them.

Guest 5x4_inches

I was just reading up about jelly fish stings as a mate of mine got stung a couple of times during the swim leg of a triathlon near Fremantle on Saturday. Also, I wanted to know if it was true about having to pee on it, as I'd heard mentioned a few times. Here's what one website had to say:

"Researchers in Australia, home of the deadliest species of box jellyfish, have spent years studying jellyfish stings. One thing is certain: nothing works for sure. Vinegar (5% acetic acid) has been shown to be the best rinse for box jellyfish. It neutralizes unfired nematocysts so they can't inject venom. When vinegar is not available, most research suggests using sea water to rinse away the remaining nematocysts. Fresh water is no good -- it triggers nematocysts to inject venom.

A word of caution about vinegar: Studies suggest that vinegar actually worsens the pain of Portuguese Man of War, bluebottle, and other Physalia stings. These creatures are dangerous look-alikes to jellyfish. Vinegar has been shown to cause nearly 30% of Physalia nematocysts to fire.

Which brings us to urine. Urine consists of water and waste products of the body's blood stream, which includes ammonia -- the reason for its legendary use. Depending on the person -- and whether he or she is dehydrated, diabetic, on a protein diet, or dealing with myriad other conditions -- urine may or may not be about as good as fresh water. In fact, urine contains so much fresh water that stranded folks can drink their own urine to survive (don't worry, I'm cringing at the idea, too). Since we know fresh water will often make nematocysts fire, the logical conclusion is that urine will do the same thing.

Urine has about a 50/50 track record on the Internet. Many anonymous bloggers sing the praises of this readily available wonder tonic, but research just hasn't supported the claims. Others tell stories of urine not working at all. I've yet to read any supposed first-hand claims that urine made the pain of a jellyfish sting worse."

Just goes to show - you need to know your enemy. And don't pee on people at the beach, it seldom helps.

Archived