Is Aussie shopping that bad??

Guest theStocktons

Guest theStocktons

Hi, not sent many messages but enjoy reading lots, but after reading a few threads about how bad shopping is out there for clothes I felt the need to ask if it is really that bad?? I was under the impression that i would be able to get a lot of the surfer type clothes, Ripcurl, Animal, Quicksilver:frown: etc out there for my two boys and husband, just like you can here. I love shopping and am sure that if you look hard enough you can find some decent stuff or am I living in false hope!! I know that Topshop deliver out there does anyone know the cost of the postage for large deliveries. Please give me some hope!!!!!!

Guest koala12

Hi

Shopping isn't bad at all! It's just a case of getting used to different shops, etc and really there's no problem at all! There are lots of shops where you can buy the surfer gear if that's your thing but then there are lots of other shops for different clothes too it's just a case of looking round and finding what you like as it would be if you moved to any new area. There are clothes shops from the cheaper end of the scale for every day stuff right up to the expensive end of the market and designer clothes and there's plenty of choice in between too. There might not be a Next, Topshop, Zara or Primark here (there is Mango!) but there are reasonable shops and I'm sure you'll find something you like, half the fun is looking!!!

There are quite a few surf shops in our local plaza ,,City Beach being one of the bigger ones ,,lots of named gear in there so should be ok ,as koala said its the george ,primark type shops that are non exsistent,you can get cheap stuff but it is really cheap quality,,hope this helps

Cal x

Guest Nelson

My first impression was that shopping was not so much fun... That didn't last long though! Now that I have found my way around I have realised there is no shortage of shopping opportunities to suit every taste and every budget.. In fact, shopping seems to be a full-time pastime for a lot of Aussies...

The other thing I realised is that all my clothes that I brought from the U.K. have got a new lease of life!

Guest tracy hunt

What you talking about you sad old cow!!!!! Quicksilver, Ripcurl, Animal??????? Didn't you want to ask people about primark, asda and Tesco? Only joking, you are my sister and you know I'm only teasing.:laugh:

To everyone else out there on PIO, my sister is a clothesaholic so hearing that Melbourne is good for shopping would have put her mind at rest (that's our destination).

Tracy xx

Guest Pasty

Hi

You can get all the surfer brands here, ocean and earth is very big and they have outlet shops for this stuff too. Shopping for good quality kids clothes at a good price is hard but you adapt and start to shop in the sales when things are 50% cheaper. Oz are a season behind so all your UK stuff will still be in fashion, I've got stuff that is in fashion and I never thought I'd say that ever again!! There are not many bargain shops like next and tk maxx over here but there are shopping outlets full of their own brands and you just have to shop around.

Jackie

Guest koala12

Hi Tracy,

Can also recommend Sydney and it's many suburbs for shopping too! Great fun exploring!! So your sister was trying to impress us with her Aussie label knowledge...when all she really wants is a Primark!!! Actually I think us Poms should start a petition and get Mr Primark to open up branches in Oz as it was such fun searching in there for those bargain designer copies!!!!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

FOR THOSE INTERESTED THERE IS AN OUTLET SHOPPING MALL BASED NEXT TO MORRABIN AIRPORT IN MELBOURNE.

I HAVE FOUND THIS IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO TK MAXX (WHICH I STILL MISS).

HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE TIME TO SHOP AROUND - MOST SUBURBS HAVE SMALL INDIVIDUAL SHOPS THAT SELL A FANTASTIC RANGE OF CLOTHING COVERING ALL PRICE RANGES AND QUALITY. FOR EXAMPLE TODAY I BOUGHT A LONG SLEEVE PATTERNED T-SHIRT AND A FANCY 2-PIECE BEADED TOP WITH CARDIGAN ALL FOR $90.:yes:

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi, not sent many messages but enjoy reading lots, but after reading a few threads about how bad shopping is out there for clothes I felt the need to ask if it is really that bad?? I was under the impression that i would be able to get a lot of the surfer type clothes, Ripcurl, Animal, Quicksilver:frown: etc out there for my two boys and husband, just like you can here. I love shopping and am sure that if you look hard enough you can find some decent stuff or am I living in false hope!! I know that Topshop deliver out there does anyone know the cost of the postage for large deliveries. Please give me some hope!!!!!!

Hi Stocktons

to give you an idea of what shops are around have a peek at www.erinafair.com this is my local shopping center.

Lets just say that the womens fashion is def behind the uk and the shops are rather different, you can´t buy clothes/handbags/shoes/jewellery/hats/slippers/etc all in one shop like New Look or River Island for example most of the time you have to go to seperate shops.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest old pom

You can't have a small population, wide open spaces and the best shops in the world. If you want the best shops in the world you need to go/stay where all the people are. And we all know the problems associated with that. I've just got back from 3 months in the UK and I know where I'd rather be.

Guest newnico

My daughter still misses H & M after nearly 5 years in Sydney (and M & S for comfort food), but on my recent visit she came to Melbourne with me and spent most of her time clothes shopping there instead of helping me house-hunt! There are some great shopping areas and I just think it's less crowded and stressful than London.

Guest steve110

I think its the shopping in the UK thats bad.

bear with me.

You go the the shops because you want /need to get something.

In the Uk it has been made that much more commercial to the point that shopping is now considered "lesiure" time.

Why go to the other side of the world and moan about the shops?

I thought we were going for the beaches and countryside? not the shopping malls?

Archived