Belconnen and Gungahlin .. which suburbs to avoid??!!

Guest Mariana

I think lack of success probably has more to do with employment than anything else unfortunately. If a landlord has to choose between someone with a job and someone without one they are going to choose the one with a job every time. Canberra is shocking for rentals at the best of times but Jan/Feb are horrendous and always have been as there are new PS and defence arrivals and loads of students. Today's Canberra Times will have private rentals in as well and an inperson landlord may be a tad more sympathetic than an estate agent perhaps.

Good luck, I wish I had some connections for you but homelessness is my job and it aint a pretty scenario at the mo. I'd agree with the others who have suggested maybe venturing further out just a bit - at least for the short term until you have a job to go to.

Yea, will try Queanbeyan and see what we can do.

We too have offered to pay 6/12 months up front rental with immediate transfer of funds, but no joy. Its very frustrating. The rental market is impenetrable in ACT - you turn up with 30 others and queue to get in!! If its around the 400 dollar mark and has a roof and 4 walls we hand the form in there and then - not much else we can do really. Then you get texts to say you are unsuccesful. Been homeowners for 16 years in UK and now feel like we are 18 again .....difference is we are dragging three kiddies around with us!! Will keep going though.

Archived