Young Family Planning To Migrate To Australia

Guest mark89

Hi all,

I'm happy that i found a website that I can ask a few questions about migrating to Australia.

I am 19 years old and my fiance is 17 and my daughter is 7 months old.

I am currently a Trainee Plumber in the UK and my fiance is in college studying Animal Care, I also have a 7 month old daughter. We are planning on moving to Australia after my fiance finishes college and i become a qualified plumber.

We are planning to move on a Australian General Skilled Migration Program.

QUESTIONS:

• Can I move my fiance and my daughter on this visa?
  • Is an Animal Welfare Officer a skill?
  • Is the move quite smooth?
  • Do I have to have a job lined up In australia before moving?
  • The UK has NHS is there anything similer in Australia?
  • Finally, What is it like to live in Queensland?

Im sorry for it being so long but just had to ask a few questions. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

thanks

mark

Hi all,

I'm happy that i found a website that I can ask a few questions about migrating to Australia.

I am currently a Trainee Plumber in the UK and my fiance is in college studying Animal Care, I also have a 7 month old daughter. We are planning on moving to Australia after my fiance finishes college and i become a qualified plumber.

We are planning to move on a Skilled Visa (Trade Person). I have taken a test on visa Bureau and passed for Skilled Visa.

QUESTIONS:

Im sorry for it being so long but just had to ask a few questions. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

thanks

mark

Alrite mark, im not even going to attempt to answer your questions mate,reason being ive had too much whisky,plus im no expert,just wanted to say that you WILL get all the help you need on here,.good luck and welcome

your best bet is to go 2 an online assessment with visa companies and then you can always request a call back xxx a good one is visa bureau we got there in the end but we are family of 3 and a bit older xx lol xx all we need is the house to sell xxx and we are off !!!

From my limited understanding (there will def be better people than me to come on and answer your question)

Basically, you will need a certain amount of years experience in either trade (assuming they are on the MODL which is where you will need to start looking) you may also need to look at doing other qualifications on top of the one you are doing . for eg my hubby is a chef even with 15 years experience and NVQs he would have still had todo another assessment as he didn't do the nvq the "right" way!!

Yes there is a scheme like the NHS its called medicare. you pay for it in advance and get it refunded as I understand it. Although you have to pay for ambulances or get ambulance insurance.

I would never expect the move to be straight forward. We have been doing this fr months now and already we have been backwards and forward over what to do. There are people who have been on here for much longer so gawd knows what they ahve been through. I think loads of research. break your lifestyle down into bite size chunks and look at the option over there. I googled things like. child benefit in australia, schools in australia, houses in adelaide, etc etc and found some really good sites and then this forum is great.

Can't help with Queensland I am afaid we are looking at Adelaide. good luck though

Guest Guest31881

QUESTIONS:

I am sure one of the migration experts will answer your first 2 questions when they come on here, but most Migration agencies will give you a free 20min to 1/2 hour chat to assess your chances. Try contacting a couple to see if the advice is consistant.

The move can be stressfull, they say moving house is one of the most stressfull things, imagine doing that and moving to other side of world. and leaving your friends and family behind.

I am sure having a job lined up speeds your application

Australia Has Medicare, here is their web site Medicare Australia

You pay for your medication out here and you need to find a doctor who 'Bulk Bills, to save you paying for doctors visits. Depending what state you live in you have to pay for Ambulance, In Queensland you pay a levy on your electricity to cover the cost of Ambulance. other states has different arrangements.

Queensland is great (Biased i live there), others will tell you that their state is great, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Hi all,

We are planning to move on a Australian General Skilled Migration Program.

QUESTIONS:

thanks

mark

Enjoy the thought of oz & take a holiday there but dont rush things you still are so young. Pluming job wise is fantastic to enable you to enter oz but if i were you gain a few years experience before you leap. I have a son same age so you may as well go as he dont listen to me either. Good luck & maybe as you are so young you will do better than anyone all the best.

Guest wanderer

Mark,

To answer your first concern, sure you can take the family and you just list them as secondary applicants on your application when you make one.

It would be ideal to have a job lined up when immigrating, especially with a young family as costs for living so far from home do mount quite quickly.

There are what are called employer sponsored visas and independent visas so have a look @ Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration and @ Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Also look @ http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf and you will see that a lot of changes have been made re priorities this year as a result of the global financial crunch.

Hopefully, the planet and Australia will put that behind us before too much more pain/suffering.

One thing you will see from that last link is there is a preference to employer sponsored visas, so yep the government also sees the advantage of people already having a job lined up.

The government is in the closing stages of having a hearing/review of what changes to the immigration categories structure might be best for the future, one thing seeming to be clear is that employer sponspored visas will still be favoured and they may attempt to place emphasis on what skills are seen as necessary for ongoing growth.

A lot of building work goes on in Australia but it does fluctuate with the global/Australian economic situation, so demand for building trades can also fluctuate.

A couple of things that do seem to have a future in Australia are Solar Hot Water and Power Systems, a bit of plumbing involved with the former and even re the latter for roof mounting if flashing is necessary.

Australia, also being the planets driest inhabited continent is starting to see a number of desalination plants built all around the country, Queensland included.

So whilst you and your fiance have studies to complete, if there is any extra study you can do re Solar and Desalination, even to get a good understanding of the principles, that will cetainly not hurt your eventual employment prospects.

Have a look @ http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf which is a listing of occupations and you will find plumbing on there and links to TRA/VETASSESS with their web sites at the back and you will be able to get information on trade accreditation, another area that has had a number of changes recently and needs to be well read up on.

You can also look on there re Animal Care.

I have seen a thread on here where there was a post re Motor Mechanics and a high cost of assessment in the UK so I imagine the same could apply to Plumbers, the poster indicating that assessment could be done in Australia far cheaper but then you would be in the situation of not having been able to apply for an employer sponsored visa.

So it is a bit of a juggling act re costs/security and you need to look at immigration as a project concept, a bit like putting together the cost of doing the plumbing or building of a house and work out a budget.

Sounds like you are starting early enough re enquiries and that's a good start.

Good luck and best wishes.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mark

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Australian Immigration Law does not remain static for 10 minutes in a row, therefore your eligibility to migrate to Oz cannot be determined at this stage. All that any migration agent or anyone else can do is to tell you what the Law is today. It will undoubtedly have changed by the time you are a fully qualified and sufficiently experienced Plumber.

The occupation General Plumber is here:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

In order to be eligible for a skilled indepedent visa (ie one which does not depend on employer sponsorship) you have to undergo a pre migration skills assessment first. If you are resident in the UK then the skills assessment authority for this occupation is Vetassess:

Plumber - General 4431-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Applying for a trade occupation - VETASSESS

The Vetassess process is expensive and slow because first there is a paper based assessment of your competencies and then there is a day long practical assessment. The Assessors come to the UK from Australia four times a year, which makes the process slow as well as expensive.

Assessment process (Trade Occupation) - VETASSESS

Read up about it thoroughly at this stage, which is all you can do for the moment.

Now please return to this link:

Plumber - General 4431-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Please scroll down below the stuff about Vetassess and TRA. Further down the page you will see that licencing is compulsory for Plumbers in every State in Australia. British Plumbers have to undergo a further training process out in Oz before you can work on your own. The Aussie Pumbing regulations are not the same as in the UK. I am told that the re-training/additional training takes quite a while and that the necessary courses are expensive.

The best thing to do is to contact the Plumbers & Drainers Board in QLD and also the Association of Master Builders in QLD and discover from them exactly what is required. You can do that by yourself but I can't do it for you because I'm a woman who hasn't a clue about Plumbing so I wouln't understand their advice, but you would.

If you don't get the necessary licences to enable you to be a self employed Plumber in Oz, you would be confined to working as a Plumber's offsider in QLD. The offsider gets lousy money compared to the Plumber who is his boss.

That deals with the skills element as it is today. When do you expect to complete your training? Unless you have been fully-trained and have some real hands-on experience, it is unlikely that you would be able to cope with the rigorous Vetassess process.

The visa is a whole other story, my friend. Nobody knows exactly what will happen. A further announcement from the Minister for Immi is expected in late 2009/2010. As soon as anything more is known there will be an announcement on the DIAC website:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

The news will also be plastered all over the forums devoted to people who want to migrate to Oz, including on this forum.

If you were eligible to start the ball rolling today, an eminent Aussie migration agent called Glenn Pereira and I would both howl at you, "DON'T! Sit tight and do nothing for now until we know what the Minister is up to. We know he intends to introduce a major new package sometime soon. Wait and see what is in this new package before you commit any money to this or commit yourself to any particular course of action."

On-line assessments on migration agents' websites are a complete waste of time. They are not programmed to deal with "Trainee Plumber" so the assessments would assure you that you are eligible to start the application process today - which you aren't. Also some of the on-line assessments have not been re-programmed since Noah was a nipper, so they are based on out of date law - which is no use to man nor beast and I speak as a lawyer in making this statement.

Even the DIAC website still gives the unwary the impression that you will be eligible to apply for a subclass 175 visa, get that and trot off to QLD to settle. Mmmm. It might work if you don't mind waiting for 5 years or more, I suppose.

This time last year, applications for skilled independent visas were processed in "first come, first served" order. In mid-December 2008 Senator Chris Evans, the current Minister for Immi, turned this long-standing principle on its head. His original Plan A in December 2008 has bitten the dust. It didn't work.

In March 2009 the Minister tried again with a Plan B. That didn't work either so on 23rd September 2009, without a word of prior warning to a soul, the Minister suddenly dumped Plan B as well and people are struggling to come to terms with his latest idea - which is Plan C so far. How long Plan C will hold up for is anyone's guess considering that Plans A & B failed to work.

The skilled migration program is in a heck of a mess is what it boils down to, with twice as many applications in the system as there are visas available each year. DIAC are blaming this on Student Visas. Thousands of overseas Students have been studying for trade and professional skills in Australia and - rightly or wrongly - many of the Students have done so with a view to settling in Oz permanently. It appears that there has been a significant amount of attempted migration fraud in the overseas Student program. The Minister seems to have instructed DIAC to sort the mess out and to keep everyone waiting until that has been done.

Plus there are political factors as well. The Aussie rate of unemployment is higher than the Aussies are comfortable with because of the Global Financial Crisis. Aussie voters who have lost their jobs or fear for their jobs don't want new migrants strolling in and pinching the jobs. The Aussie Government has to call a General Election by no later than October 2010, so a lot of the Minister's machinations could be aimed at appeasing his voters. (It is compulsory for Australian Citizens to vote in elections.)

So the best thing for you is to do nothing for the moment and just watch developments in Oz whilst completing your training and qualification process at home.

There is sure to be an Aussie version of an Animal Welfare Officer but it is not a skill which would found a visa application. Plenty of Aussie girls want to work with animals. Plumber is the skill that Australia wants to attract.

But just wait and see how it all pans out in the next 6 months or so, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Everyone,

OMG! cant believe how many of you replied to my post, I thank each and everyone of you that have replied and given so much helpful information. I wanted to move young because I thought it would be easier as daughter aint in school and wouldnt have to pull her away from friends. I cant believe its so complicated (unless your moving to UK they let anyone in).

I will leave it for now but do what you advised me to do, wait 6 months and see what happens. I sure do hope it all changes for the better. I can understand about australlian citizens being a bit peed of about migrants taking there jobs, I get peed of because england employs so many foreigners that i find it hard to get a job, so I understand what they mean.

After all the information given from you lot, It seems it can be just as expensive as england, i mean like paying for ambulance's and doctor visits. Maybe england is lucky in that way. Would like to move because of crime here is bad and people just look down on you all the time, when you walk in the street you hardly hear english speaking people, its all another language!

I have spoken to my fiance and we are still up for going but will do it when the time is right, I see your point in getting more experience and maybe taking another qualification just in case there are not any work for my primary qualification.

Thanks so much for your response, I will be researching for like the next 6 - 8 months lol. I will keep posting here and there, Hopefully I can post that im living in QLD in the near future.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and give luck to anyone else thats planning on making the move.

cheers

mark

Enjoy the thought of oz & take a holiday there but dont rush things you still are so young. Pluming job wise is fantastic to enable you to enter oz but if i were you gain a few years experience before you leap. I have a son same age so you may as well go as he dont listen to me either. Good luck & maybe as you are so young you will do better than anyone all the best.

Dont worry I will listen to you lol, I dont want to make a massive mistake as I have a young family to think about. The move will happen but maybe not as quick as I intended it to, But im sure ill be there one day. Im all for taking risks but this one is probably the biggest risk of them all, when I think about it I sometimes feel nervous and afraid that it doesnt work out and that I would be stuck.

Thanks so much.

Guest wanderer

Hi Mark,

I wanted to move young because I thought it would be easier as daughter aint in school and wouldnt have to pull her away from friends. I cant believe its so complicated (unless your moving to UK they let anyone in).

I will leave it for now but do what you advised me to do, wait 6 months and see what happens. I sure do hope it all changes for the better. I can understand about australlian citizens being a bit peed of about migrants taking there jobs, I get peed of because england employs so many foreigners that i find it hard to get a job, so I understand what they mean.

After all the information given from you lot, It seems it can be just as expensive as england, i mean like paying for ambulance's and doctor visits. Maybe england is lucky in that way. Would like to move because of crime here is bad and people just look down on you all the time, when you walk in the street you hardly hear english speaking people, its all another language!

I have spoken to my fiance and we are still up for going but will do it when the time is right, I see your point in getting more experience and maybe taking another qualification just in case there are not any work for my primary qualification.

Thanks so much for your response, I will be researching for like the next 6 - 8 months lol. I will keep posting here and there, Hopefully I can post that im living in QLD in the near future.

Moving while the daughter is young is a good idea and yes, there are a few threads on the forum re older children [and adults] having trouble settling down and for sure the older you get, the more comfortable you can be with existing surroundings [without the crime of course and Australia is not free of that].

There is a lot of information to be collated in putting through a successful visa application and many can be rejected for lack of correct or full information, but do just as a familiarity exercise have a look at any one of the GSM visas and study the "eligibility" and "applying for the visa" sections, the latter having a Checklist link and you hopefully will get an idea of how it is not rocket science, but just a logical collection of data and you seem to have a level enough head on your shoulders to have a look and see how you will cope with such a process.

I would see the main hurdle for a young family being the financial implications and you need to set yourself a savings target of at least twenty thousand pound I would suggest to cover all the costs associated with a visa application, airfares and giving yourself a reasonable cushion margin if you did not have a job arranged.

Even with a job, you still ought to have a cushion for if you for some reason ended out of work, full social security benefits are not available until you've been in Australia two years on a PR.

As to Australians being unemployed, there sure is, the level being a bit higher than normal but still less than what some countries are experiencing and though ours could get worse before it gets better [who really knows?] there does seem to be some myth growing about Australians being not happy with immigrants getting jobs and that the government in fear of an election backlass is tightening the immigration regulations.

Well tighten up on immigration the government has done and any government would be remiss not to review immigration to attempt best matching the best interest of a countries economy to cope with the likes of the global financial crisis and wanting to be best placed for the future in attempting to minimise labour shortages.

But Australians are used to boom/bust cycles particularly because of great reliance on resource industries and minimal manufacturing to go with a minimal population to absorb local manufacture [too small a market, unlike that of the UK and Europe].

With our population consisting of people from over two hundred nationalities, most of our people whilst being aware of immigration and that it has been reduced for now , would I suspect be giving too much thought to immigrants taking jobs and are very aware that the country has grown and benefited from significant immigration, earlier migrants heading to these shores as long ago as almost two centuries past.

We are generally very acceptive of people from all countries, though personal values will obviously vary but it is only a rumour that Australians are unhappy about immigration and a bit rediculous for immigration to be discussed in such context.

Given the extent of immigration and tourism/family visits, it is not unusual here to be here anywhere and hear a language other than english being spoken and that is something to be accepted as a way of life given the travel mobility of many.

Queensland is a great state if you want to get away from colder weather and has a number of regional cities along the coast, all of which can offer a very relaxed lifestyle of living away from the hustle and bustle and pollution that one experiences with capital city living, also healthier too though we do have a Medicare system and medical costs for most people is a relatively small % of their budget.

But first things first and get the savings plan cranked up.

You might have to just review what things are important and make do with a few less things that may be viewed as luxuries.

But best wishes for your plan and you have time on your side.

Thanks so much, you have given alot of information to think about. I seem to have my work cut out for a while. I hope in the near future it will be a success story, and to help others make the move a provide advise to others in the same situation. I guess alot of holidays there to find out more information about work and financial stability. Im sure this will be enough to give me an insight how living in Australia will come accross to the whole family.

cheers for your input and helpful information.

Archived