Serious soul searching!

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Morning all,

We have been doing some serious soul searching over the last couple of weeks given the new changes recently announced. Our plan was always that we would be in Australia before our son started secondary school in the UK so he did not get too settled into his routine. He is due to start in September 2010 (Australia would be Jan/Feb 2011). However it would seem now that our plans have been well and truly scuppered.

OH and I are both from forces families and OH is himself an ex-soldier and our hope was that Morgan would have a stable secondary education in order to optimise his learning and achievements and make sound friends for life. So what do we do now? If non-CSL SS applicants are not going to be looked at until 2012 then it would seem that our application will be well down the list and it could even be longer than that. I know that it is all a bit up in the air at the moment as no-one is really sure what is going to happen but as far as I am concerned for my son it means that he could potentially be in secondary school here for 2-3 years and then we will uproot him. Not what we wanted at all.:arghh:

I am lost as the best way forward. My feeling is that we just forget about the whole thing. If we get state sponsorship great but really what is the point? Sure if we get our visa in 2013 we can have a lovely holiday and validate it and then not have to move for a few more years but will the same passion and want for Australia still be there at that time?

I guess that there are a lot more of you feeling like this out there and my thoughts are with you all. If there is one positive thing to come out of this it is that I will get to graduate as a lawyer which I would not if we got to go next year :smile:

Sorry for the moan. OH is so laid back he should have been born an australian of that I am sure and he doesn't really understand my concerns. He just says what will be will and to an extent I am with him on that but I guess I am the worrier!

Oh well back to the law books.

Donna x

I'd still go for it to be honest. You never know how school will pan out for your son- he may well need the change. If you don't go ahead with the application you could find yourselves with the same passion for Oz in 2013 but have to start from scratch then.

You don't have to go when your visa comes through and I know there are costs etc to consider but personally, I'd still go ahead- at least the opportunity will be there if you choose to take it. :)

Guest sooveroz
Morning all,

We have been doing some serious soul searching over the last couple of weeks given the new changes recently announced. Our plan was always that we would be in Australia before our son started secondary school in the UK so he did not get too settled into his routine. He is due to start in September 2010 (Australia would be Jan/Feb 2011). However it would seem now that our plans have been well and truly scuppered.

OH and I are both from forces families and OH is himself an ex-soldier and our hope was that Morgan would have a stable secondary education in order to optimise his learning and achievements and make sound friends for life. So what do we do now? If non-CSL SS applicants are not going to be looked at until 2012 then it would seem that our application will be well down the list and it could even be longer than that. I know that it is all a bit up in the air at the moment as no-one is really sure what is going to happen but as far as I am concerned for my son it means that he could potentially be in secondary school here for 2-3 years and then we will uproot him. Not what we wanted at all.:arghh:

I am lost as the best way forward. My feeling is that we just forget about the whole thing. If we get state sponsorship great but really what is the point? Sure if we get our visa in 2013 we can have a lovely holiday and validate it and then not have to move for a few more years but will the same passion and want for Australia still be there at that time?

I guess that there are a lot more of you feeling like this out there and my thoughts are with you all. If there is one positive thing to come out of this it is that I will get to graduate as a lawyer which I would not if we got to go next year :smile:

Sorry for the moan. OH is so laid back he should have been born an australian of that I am sure and he doesn't really understand my concerns. He just says what will be will and to an extent I am with him on that but I guess I am the worrier!

Oh well back to the law books.

Donna x

its a tricky one this. We are very similar in reverse - we are moving back to the UK and i want to do so before my son starts high school for the same reasons as you - stability, friends etc. saying that, if it was my daughter, i wouldnt have the same reservations as she is much more confident and embraces change and meeting new people whereas DS hates it and would really struggle to be the new boy at high school, moving from class to class etc - so we are going back so that he can do his last few months of primary and then move up to high school at least knowing the kids in his year.

you have said that he would be due to start high school in sept 2010 in UK and Jan/Feb 2011 in oz - are you definately sure about that? my two went "back" a year and a half when we came out ie daughter was in primary 2 in May 2007 in scotland and went into primary 1 in July 2007 in oz and started P2 in oz in Feb 2008 ie when she would have been more than half way through primary 3 in scotland. my son's friends have already started high school in scotland and he is in year 6 here - if we were staying he would still have another year of primary here to do before high school. so you might have longer than you think - although it will depend on when his birthday is. hope i am not confusing you!!

I would say definately validate if you can afford the trip and then take it from there. If your son was up for the move and took to the ozzie lifestyle then everything might be absolutely fine. Is he quite a confident child (like my daughter is)? its amazing how adaptable children although you know your own child better than anyone.

the other thing to consider is that by the time you are able to move, the exchange rate may be more favourable. And you will have your qualification - Australia will still be here in 3 or 4 years time after all. and you never know, they might change the rules again before then!! good luck with it anyway.

Hi Donna

I think your OH is right to be laid back about it! There is no point stressing! At the end of the day you can't change what’s happened, you can only live in hope that they change the rules again and they have a positive outcome and not another negative one!

For your own sanity, you have to come to terms with what has happened and move on with your lives here and now! Like SOOVEROZ said, Oz will still be there in 2/3 or 4 years time. Kids are very adaptable and I don’t think you will need to worry too much there. The schooling system is so different anyway. At least your kiddies are not of an age where they lose their dependant status, which a lot of people are now facing.

If you get to qualify as a lawyer by staying here, then that can only be a huge positive for you! Just think that perhaps fate has taken control of your life for you and made you carry on with something you might not have achieved if moving to Oz now.

I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and perhaps with the way the economy is at the moment and the exchange rate, it is better for you to wait a while longer. Not really something that any of us considered when doing this visa process but perhaps maybe you could turn all this round into a huge positive thing for you and your family.

These days the years fly by so quickly and one day you will look back at this time and you will appreciate the life you have in Oz even more after the hard work its taken getting there!

Tasha :hug:

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Morning

Thanks for your responses I think I just needed to clear my head a little and it helps to get it all down and knowing there are kind people out there who can lend an ear who understand the position certainly helps.

you have said that he would be due to start high school in sept 2010 in UK and Jan/Feb 2011 in oz - are you definately sure about that? my two went "back" a year and a half when we came out ie daughter was in primary 2 in May 2007 in scotland and went into primary 1 in July 2007 in oz and started P2 in oz in Feb 2008 ie when she would have been more than half way through primary 3 in scotland. my son's friends have already started high school in scotland and he is in year 6 here - if we were staying he would still have another year of primary here to do before high school. so you might have longer than you think - although it will depend on when his birthday is. hope i am not confusing you!!

SOOVEROZ - I am a little confused. Morgan will be 12 in December 2010 and I thought that meant he would start in high school in in Jan/Feb 2011 in Oz? If that is not the case then please let me know as I would be more than happy for him to redo a year in primary over there. He may be a bit gutted but I know I would not be. It seems a little strange that he could potentially be starting high school there at 13 when at 14 here they can take their first GCSE's!!!:shocked:

Anyway back off to my law books - they are much easier to understand!!!!!

Many thanks once again

Donna x

Hi Donna

Our eldest Son (born Jul 97 - age 12) went into Y8 (2nd year at High School) in September and we were hoping to move to Qld in Feb 2010. We were under the impression that he would have been starting his first year at High School then, so that would have been ideal for us.

I find it all very confusing though, but I also got the impression that they are a year behind in Oz. You may find that your Son is due to start Jan/Feb 2012 in Oz. If its the same as the UK, although not ideal, moving within the first couple of years at High School may not be too bad.

As a Forces family, we were also longing to finally settle down. Our concern now is also for our Eldest, who is quiet and finds it difficult to mix - he will be 15yrs old in 2012, so we have to accept that unless we find an employer to sponsor OH or things change in the next 6 months, we have to forget about Australia. Although, it must be a 'man thing' - my OH would be quite happy if I said 'lets forget the whole thing', and I'm also a worrier, but not willing to give up just yet - I'm sure there must be an employer willing to sponsor us somewhere!

Mandy

I can only state what our situation is, we have been informed that our son who has just started high school here last month will have the option to stay in Primary or go to High school as he will be 11 years 9 months at the start of the school year. This appears to be the rule in Melbourne, although we are in the opposite dilemma because up until he started High school I was more than happy for him to go to Primary in Oz - now he has started High school I think it could be a backward step! He has become a lot more independent over the past 6 weeks and I don't think Primary will be suitable anymore!

Whatever happens I am sure you will make the right decision, we are hanging around until I complete my Psychology degree (in 6 days time - yahhhh!!!) then we are free to move - so you need to consider that for yourself too. As a Mum though I fully understand that we constantly put others before ourselves and the mere thought of doing something that may mean we are looking out for No1 is (in our own minds) shocking!! But the reality is I am going to be soooo proud when I get my degree, it will show to the kids that hard work and dedication pay off and hopefully they will be proud of me too - so maybe put yourself first and if the dream is meant to be you will be much better placed with a law degree and more chances will surely come your way.

Whatever happens good luck and trust your gut instinct.

Kind regards

Karen

Starting HS is very much dependent upon the state - WA and Qld start at year 8 and the cut off for how old they have to be to fit into each year level also depends on the state. Dont even try and compare with UK year names and expectations - totally different systems

I wouldnt worry about coming to Aus part way through HS - kids move about quite a lot here - as long as they get the final two years in the one place for years 11 and 12 they will be fine ( starting at 16 usually).

I dont think the "friends for life" thing is really prevalent here from HS connections - unless you stay in the same place for years after leaving school. More friendships seem to be forged in uni or even post uni. I cant say that either of my sons have lifelong friendships from their school or uni days really - there is a lot of fluidity here. However it does seem that the older they get the more resistant they are to moving especially at the 16/17 age group - mind you, if you are moving at 16 I think you will muck up educational prospects unless you are very careful and better to stay until they have done A levels.

I think you would be very wise to finish your own studies - lawyers dont ever seem to be out of a job or short of a bob or two!!!

Guest sooveroz
Morning

Thanks for your responses I think I just needed to clear my head a little and it helps to get it all down and knowing there are kind people out there who can lend an ear who understand the position certainly helps.

SOOVEROZ - I am a little confused. Morgan will be 12 in December 2010 and I thought that meant he would start in high school in in Jan/Feb 2011 in Oz? If that is not the case then please let me know as I would be more than happy for him to redo a year in primary over there. He may be a bit gutted but I know I would not be. It seems a little strange that he could potentially be starting high school there at 13 when at 14 here they can take their first GCSE's!!!:shocked:

Anyway back off to my law books - they are much easier to understand!!!!!

Many thanks once again

Donna x

Hi Donna - we are in perth and the date for deciding which year the child goes into is june 30th. my eldest is 12 in november and is in year 6. had we been staying he would be starting year 7 ie last year of primary, in february 2010. he would turn 13 in november 2010 and start high school in feb 2011. had he never left scotland, he would have just started high school this year (august 2009) like his friends back home and he would be starting second year of high school in august 2010 - so its like he is a year and a half "behind" - but i dont mean behind academically if you see what i mean.

it is confusing and i can only speak for perth and my circumstances - cant remember where you said you were going but it might be different in other states. but by my reckoning if you were in perth, he would be going into last year of primary in feb 2011 as he is effectively a year younger than mine. hope i am right and not confusing you more!!

Archived