Allotments. Are there any?

Stellathedog

Most of the newer houses seem to have fairly small gardens and not enough room for growing fruit and vegetables.

Love the new houses and the lack of maintenance and stuff to do on them, but that then would give us time for an allotment and to grow fresh fruit and veg.

Sounds easy, but are there any allotments? Looking to move north of Sydney, probably central coast.

Cheers Pam

Where new housing estates are concerned, usually the allotments start from small 400 and can go up to 800-900 it is up to you. You can also in the bigger estates buy an acre in some areas, not always close to the city though. Get on to the websites, i.e. google new housing estates in New South Wales.

Have you looked at:

www.realestate.com.au and clicked onto NSW should give you an idea.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I have not heard of allotments in Australia, but that is not saying that they dont have them, I was wondering if you could possibly look into buying a small plot of land and use that for an allotment to grow your stuff on.... Just a thought :huh:

Guest wanderer

You'll find that a lot of newer estates will have smaller lot sizes to keep infrastructure costs down for sealed roads, kerbing, footpaths, power, communication, water and waste services all cost $$$/metre for construction and then eventually maintenance.

At the same time house sizes have in recent decades been increasing and have reached humungus sizes for usually less people than what past generations ever got by with.

As the GFC crunch hurts more you might find people being prepared to go back to smaller houses which will be ideal for smaller allotments.

For people wanting more room, have a look about older established areas for the more typical 1/4 acre block, many that councils now allow to be split for dual occupancy and then if you are prepared to look at transport time/costs Vs live style and costs you will always find blocks ranging from 1/2 an acre to 200+ depending on how far out you want to live.

But then how much room do you really need for a veggie plot and fruit trees for even a 200 sq. m. house on a 600-700 sq. m. allotment still leaves room for a pool, veggies and some trees but not the tennis court.

Strawberries in a barrel is way to go and Don Burke apparently has had tomatoes growing in a hanging fashion - saves staking and if P helps, just get a step ladder.

No allotments like the good old UK kind but you may find that there are community gardens in your area which are very similar www.communitygarden.org.au | Australian City Farms & Community Gardens Network

Otherwise, a 1/4 acre is big enough for chooks, orchard and vegie garden but get a big water tank and collect off the roof or off your garage so that you arent hindered by water restrictions should they come into play again.

Most of the newer houses seem to have fairly small gardens and not enough room for growing fruit and vegetables.

Love the new houses and the lack of maintenance and stuff to do on them, but that then would give us time for an allotment and to grow fresh fruit and veg.

Sounds easy, but are there any allotments? Looking to move north of Sydney, probably central coast.

Cheers Pam

While there are pockets of small housing plots there are always bigger one's available too. No need for allotments really.

Sorry, just realised that we are getting words and their meanings mixed up again - an allotment in Australia is a vacant block of land, usually to build on. Forgot that the word allotment means something else in the UK. However, as the other poster says, the more established houses have 1/4 land in most suburbs, so we do grow vegetables in the back yards (especially the Italians/Greeks in Melbourne).

Cheers, Olly

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I did gather there was a bit of a mix up with the different meanings of allotment, but at least I know now what to expect and where to look.

I will check the sites you suggested Quoll, many thanks.

As far as the water tanks, we are doing that here already with water butts, although they maybe aren't as big as the tanks you guys have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again many thanks

Pam

Archived