Warning - Private Health Insurance Deadline!!!

racht

Just thought people need to be made aware that they only have one year from entering the country to take out private health insurance without being penalised. This applies to anyone over the age of 30 in Australia.

Basically, for every year you are over 30, you have an additional 2% added onto your premium, so if you are say 40, your insurance would have a 20% mark up. To avoid this all you need to do is take out insurance within your first year of arriving in Australia.

I found out completely by accident when I was ringing around to get quotes today. Thank goodness I did! I guess if you never intend to take it out it doesnt matter but if you do intend to but just have not got round to it, it could be a costly oversight. Australian's have to take it out by the time they are 30 or the 2% starts to run straight away. I guess the Government do it to encourage people to take it out asap.

I may of course be the only person who didnt realise this but in case I am not thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

Rach :wubclub:

Do you need Private health insurance if you come out on a 176?

JOHN

You only need hospital insurance if you and your oh earn more than 150k , there is the medicare surcharge which comes in if you ear more than the 150k and you have to pay 1.5 % surcharge at the end of the tax year. It used to be 100k but they raised the threshhold. You pay the normal medicare levy with your tax stoppages . You can get extras covers ,we have that for help with dental ,opticians and physio and stuff

Archived