should we take furniture or bye new..Any help on this please

Guest MarkandTrace

Guest MarkandTrace

:arghh: Hi..:arghh:

Can anyone give me any feed back (based on experience) weather it's best to move nearly all your belongings to OZ ... or to enter OZ with mainly personal belongings.

We are in i dilemma as to start from scratch again (apart from sentimental things) or just move every thing based on a standard 3 bedroom house.Some of the furniture kinda needs replacing anyway But how have those got on with just going out with personal items by renting a house with hardly no furniture.Or have you rented a house then gone out and bought everything you need?Cause some of us women like to have nearly all new when moving anyway. :laugh: Is there anyone out there that has come up against this?

Any help is most appreciated:)

Guest thepriceclan

Hi,

We are shipping our stuff as the kids have loads of toys, dvd's, books etc. Taking just personal stuff, electrical items etc was going to cost us over £2000 so we decided to take everything for £3250.

Guest kimdownie

Hi guys,

like chelle said many people have asked this question or similar, I am sure that I have read somewhere on PiO that wooden furniture is very expensive, I also suggest you look for the thread of things to buy before you go, as there have been some really usefull hints on there, you will probably find that it is not too expensive to ship a 20ft container.

hope this helps

kim

We brought almost everything but have still needed to buy stuff here too. You really would not be able to furnish a house over here for the price of what it will cost you. Houses are bigger and you will need more stuff.

Guest koala12

Hi Mark/Trace

When we moved over here last year we only brought with furniture that still had plenty of life left in it as we thought it wasn't worth paying to ship stuff that would need replacing within a short space of time! We found that buying a lounge suite and beds here wasn't too expensive (and depending where you are going to live I know everyone on here will be able to advise you best places to look!). Most of our shipment apart from the furniture that we did bring was personal stuff, clothes, kitchenware, etc although we did have to buy quite a bit of stuff here too. It's good to have lots of your own familiar stuff around you when you are starting out as it makes it feel more like home but it's also exciting to go looking round different shops and finding new things to start off your Ozzie life....good luck with whatever you decide

Karen

Guest Pasty

Hi

As everyone says, it's a personal choice but we bought the contents of a 3 bed house and I mean everything, and we still had to buy more when we got here to fill a 4 bed house. You couldn't buy everything for the same price as it's going to cost you to ship things. If it needs replacing anyway, leave it, if it's in good condition bring it, you can replace it further down the road otherwise you have big expense when you get her which you probably don't need. I found wood furniture to be cheap and very good quality but bed linen is expensive over here so I would stock up and bring it with you. Depends on where you are planning to live as to what shops are available but if you buy in the sales you can still get things cheap.

Jackie

Hi:

Im new to Pomms in Oz. Moved here just 8 months ago.We are three hours inland from Melbourne as my husband got a job here from the UK. If I had the choice now would only bring personal belongings. Some of our furniture was damaged during the journey, plus one box lost plus our style of furniture isnt really suitable for the new houses that are here. Looks shabby. I would defintiely start from scratch. If I can help with any other queries please do not hesitate to email. Where are you moving to? Best wishes Jackie.

• 1 year later...

I'd agree with Patsy - we brought practically everything from a 4 bed house and we have still had to buy extra stuff as the house we are living in has much bigger rooms.

Do you really want the hassle/stress and expensive of furniture buying when you initially arrive when you are also trying to settle in and do a million other things too. I'm really glad I brought my stuff over, it was worth it, but its personal choice at the end of the day.

Guest prettyinpink

I think it depends on your budget, if you got a couple of thousand dollars then buy new stuff. We've shipped all our stuff over and I can't wait to get 'my bits and bobs' around me. But like Ali said if you're gonna fill a house over here, you'll probably need more than you bring anyway.

Hi we moved over 6 months ago and only shipped tools, toys and personal stuff. For me this was proably wrong wasnt a great time dragging kids round trying to furnish a rental, we didnt know where best to shop and didnt really have the time or budget to get the quality we had in Uk. It was like starting from scratch but in a rush, now I will probably end up replacing furniture earlier than usual. Saying that some of our stuff in the Uk we made do with knowing we were moving so needed replacing anyway. Really personal decision depending on what you have ,what you will need and budget oh and if kids will be at school whilst you do the leg work.

Lynda

Hi All

We sold all of our furnature to the tenant who has rented our house and bought new here, we haven't found it a problem at all. After all you don't need wordrobes as they are all built in here, and if your here a long time b4 your shipping what are you going to use? My stuff was supposed to leave UK in June but left on 5th Oct and still isn't here so I am glad we did it this way.

As Cal said there are some really good deals on furnature over here.

BUT it is all down to personal preferance at the end of the day, you'll do what ever suits you and your family best.

April

Guest spottymercedes

We brought most of our furniture with us although when it arrived it seemed like we had only brought toys!! Each thing that the removal men brougt in was toys, then toys, then more toys!!

Some furniture was damaged in transit, but I would say bring as much as you can. Each thing that needs to be replaced has its price and as you won't really know where to shop here, you tend to buy things then wish you had waited as they are much cheaper elsewhere.

Someone was asking about beds. We all needed new beds so took this opportunity to throw them away and get new. The beds here are quite pricey and I wish now we had bought new in the uk and shipped them across. Remember there is no Argos here!!! You can go to Ikea for fairly good deals, but personally I don't like Ikea.

I brought lots of bedding from the UK, but have found that aussie duvets are a slightly different size than uk ones, so would advise that you need to bring some duvets from the uk to match your uk duvet covers. I now have a set of aussie duvets and aussie covers and a set of uk ones, it gets confusing when you change the bedding!

(I hope that last bit made sense!!)

Guest spottymercedes
Hi just wondering what people do about beds, is it worth buying new once out in Oz??? Also what about televisions, do they work in Oz???

Thanks

Tania X

Hi Tania,

Uk TV's don't work here. Its worth bringing the dvd combi TV's for the kids to watch films on though.

Guest prettyinpink
Hi Tania,

Uk TV's don't work here. Its worth bringing the dvd combi TV's for the kids to watch films on though.

If you have a new tv, it will work over here. The audio needs to have B/G - you can check with your manufacturer whether your tv has this.

If it does, it should just need retuning. Most new tvs have this, the older ones tend not to.

Guest The Pom Queen

In regards to TV's it is impossible to say without knowing model numbers etc. Although the UK and Australia use PAL, the UK uses PAL I and Australia PAL BG. If your TV is 'multisystem', then it should support all of the PAL formats (& also NTSC & SECAM) and there won't be a problem.

If it not 'multisystem' then the chances are that if you just connected the TV via the standard aerial socket then you'd get a picture but no sound as the Australian PAL system uses a slightly different frequency for sound. To get round this, you'd need to purchase a set top box (similar to freeview boxes in the UK) and connect the set top to the TV via AV cables. A cheap set top box would be around $50.

All of the broadcasters over here broadcast free to air High Definition Channels. To access these, you'd need to get a HD set top box (cheapest probably around $150) or a TV with integrated HD tuner.

To give you an idea of cost for TV’s:

A 42" FULL (1920x1080 resolution) High Definition LCD TV with integrated HD tuner would cost around $1600 A 42" (1024x768) High Definition LCD TV with integrated HD tuner would cost around$1200 A 32" High Definition LCD TV with integrated HD tuner would cost around $750

Hope this helps

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi just wondering what people do about beds, is it worth buying new once out in Oz??? Also what about televisions, do they work in Oz???

Thanks

Tania X

In regards to bedroom furniture you can either go for a cheap package at $499 (approx 215 gbp) this comes with the bed frame, mattress and bedside cabinets, the furniture part is solid but the mattress will probably be basic.

Or you could go for the other packages and buy a mattress seperate, have a look here: Welcome to Fantastic Furniture - Advantages

Have a look at some of their lounge and dining packages to: Welcome to Fantastic Furniture - Advantages

• 1 month later...

the mistake we made was sending boxes on and picking them up when they arrived here,big mistake,easy to send them but a nightmare collecting them and cost a small fortune and going through customs was horrendouse,they even said they feel sorry for everyone and wish they could warn them beforehand,so take my warning,good gear over here and not expensive

Guest the mitchell family

Hi Guy's,

We are the mitchell's from Bradwell, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

We fly out to Perth 29th Dec 08, I gave my wife sarah two options sell everything here or ship it over, being a women she opted to start from scratch over there, so we are just taking suit case's. I must give her credit though, she has sold most of the household goods through carboot's etc and has £12,000.00 to show for it.

I'm sure converted into AUD she can have great day's out re-furbing the new house ( when we get one). Sometimes it's good to fly by the seat of your pants into the unknown.

Where about's are you guy's moving to?

:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest annemarie and brian

Hi,

A lot our friends have gone out there already and a few did not

take anything apart from personal possesions and said they wish

they had as it was more exspensive then shipping it out.

And our others took everything as they said it was better because

it is very exspensive to replace there stuff,so we are taking all

our stuff when we go as i dont think i could buy everything we

have for the price of a filling a container up.

annemarie:emoticon-signxmas:

hi, We arrived here on the 1st Dec with suite cases, personal stuff to arrive yet on the shipping, kids toys, dvd, power tools fellers work tools (he is an Audi MACHANIC), WE MOVED INTO OUR RENTAL ONLY THIS WEEK, 16TH DEC , we went to FANTASTIC FURNITURE for all our stuff, you buy it in packages, We bought some amazin stuff and quite reasonable really, ive compleatly furnished a 4 bed home for arround $8000 and its really great quality too, they do cheaper stuff also, we got queen beds x 2 single beds x2 suite, dinning table with 6 chairs buffett table, low tv unit, lamp table,bed sidw tables x2 chest of draws , tall boy check out www.fantasicfurniture.com.au hope this helps

We personally came out here with a suitcase each with clothes & sentimental things - you'll be able to buy everything you need out here & as long as you're not wanting everything 'brand new' from day # 1 - you can pick up some pretty good deals from garage sales & large everyday stores like Big W etc.

Good luck on whatever you decide:emoticon-signxmas:

• 5 years later...

I have a few pieces (only a few) with definite sentimental value... The memories attached to them are priceless (e.g., the rocking chair where I snuggled with my first little one). Other than those precious memory pieces, I'd prefer to sell everything I could and start again with new. When you add up the cost of moving it, you may be persuaded that it just isn't worthwhile...

Archived