how long is the renting process?

Poca&Dan

Can anyone help? My OH and I are looking to rent in Melbourne once we arrive in January. I have been advised to find short term accommodation until we find a permenent rental property as a lot of the estate agents won't rent out without us inspecting the property first!

I have looked into house sharing and nobody has emailed me back and the one who has looked promising but her communication is terrible and a I am now thinking that renting with her may be disaterous - if she isn't even able to reply to my emails! (I am talking weeks with no word!) We are now looking at renting one of these luxury short stay apartments which is quite costly and are thinking we are going to struggle to afford to stay in one for a long time, so just wondered if anyone can shed light on their experience and from landing to finding a property, how long realistically do you think we will be looking at before we can move into our own place?

We have also looked at youth hostels and again we're looking at about $80 a night for a double room, well we might aswell just stay in a hotel/apartment for a little bit more! Also I am not keen in staying in a dorm share for 4 weeks or until we find somewhere to live!!!!

Thanks

Hi

Most people book furnished/holiday accommodation for their first 4 weeks. this gives you time to have a look around for a suburb you would be happy to rent in and then of course to find, view and apply for a rental house there.

Kate at moving to melbourne has a few different furnished houses to suit most budgets so it may be worth looking on her site to see whats available the dates you need one.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Guest Toorak Trev

Some of the short term accomodation offered do better rates for longer periods. Why not try Kate at Moving to Melbourne and see what sort of price you can get for say 6 weeks or 3 months?

When you work out the longer period it might be worth doing

ie 4 weeks x $900 + $350 x 8 weeks (assuming lower cost of longer term rental starting after 4 weeks initial hostel stay)

= $6400

Versus

12 weeks x $450

= $5400

Hi

We stayed at the Big 4Holiday Park in Ashley Gardens for 2 weeks in a one bed apt, I think we paid $110 a night in winter. We found a rental straight away so we moved into a rental 2 weeks after arriving in Melbourne.

The rental market is very competitive depending on what suburb your after. We went to view an apartment in Richmond a while ago with around 70/80 other interested parties. Needless to say we didn't get it!

Jim

moving2melbourne.co.uk is one place to look for short term. there are some third party renters on there for short term rent. we have gone with the one in Highett. close enough to the city and sit directly opposite a train station, perfect if you dont have a car. $700 per week

its easier than you think to rent. and no you dont need to have seen the property, its a good idea to though.

My advice would be to have a good look around as its not cheap to rent or buy here something that you would regard as nice. Each 'suburb' moulds into one as well. It will be so much easier with just the two of you.

We're waiting to hear if weve got somewhere to live. Today we handed over drivers licience, passport, last bank statement from the uk and contract of employment. we didnt have previous rents as weve always owned, that was ok apparently.......we'll see

Guest Toorak Trev

Was that Big4 a caravan park?

$110 x 7 nights is $770 for a one bed apartment/caravan cabin?

Just worth people thinking that even camp grounds/caravan parks will be expensive in short term. Dread to think cost over summer.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

In regards to how long it will take you to find a rental really does depend on your budget and the suburb you are wanting to be in. Realestate agents will not entertain you until you have arrived unfortunately, so you would need to look at short term accommodation, which, like Toorak Trev has mentioned even caravan parks are going to be from $110 - $250pn depending on the site and the time of year.

We do have a variety of rentals that start from $380 per week Moving to Melbourne: Accommodation Available in Melbourne we still have a few vacancies for January although Christmas is nearly fully booked due to the holidays etc.

You do have house shares but I would recommend making sure that the person actually has the rights to sublet as you don't want to arrive after paying your money to find that the accommodation no longer exists. Hostels again are not very cheap and Christmas time is again a busy time of year and you may struggle to find a vacancy.

Good luck with your move.

Kate

Guest debsmates
Can anyone help? My OH and I are looking to rent in Melbourne once we arrive in January. I have been advised to find short term accommodation until we find a permenent rental property as a lot of the estate agents won't rent out without us inspecting the property first!

I have looked into house sharing and nobody has emailed me back and the one who has looked promising but her communication is terrible and a I am now thinking that renting with her may be disaterous - if she isn't even able to reply to my emails! (I am talking weeks with no word!) We are now looking at renting one of these luxury short stay apartments which is quite costly and are thinking we are going to struggle to afford to stay in one for a long time, so just wondered if anyone can shed light on their experience and from landing to finding a property, how long realistically do you think we will be looking at before we can move into our own place?

We have also looked at youth hostels and again we're looking at about $80 a night for a double room, well we might aswell just stay in a hotel/apartment for a little bit more! Also I am not keen in staying in a dorm share for 4 weeks or until we find somewhere to live!!!!

Thanks

Hi again, i have been looking on the net at places to stay short term in Melbourne that are reasonable, have found this, its a caravan park 21 klm from Melbourne with public transport outside the door and they do F/F residential lets for 4 weeks!

I didnt know if you would be interested, but have added the link.

Apollo Gardens Tourist Park and Accommodation Village Melbourne

Once settled you need to do the tour of estate agents such as LJ HOOKER & RAY WHITE plus endless others, they will have available lets info and you just arrange viewing of ones you like (you meet them at the home you wish to rent) have all needed paperwork on you and grab some application forms from the office and if you like home take all needed ID plus finished application form back into the realestate and it usually takes up to 48 hrs before you hear back, but you can ring the next day to enquire how your application is going.

Once you have been approved you pay in cash or by BPAY or bankers draft, most do not accept cards.

You pay a Bond -( 4 weeks rent ) and 2 weeks rent in advance will also have to be paid.

Then you can move in :biggrin:

The RTA keeps your bond and you get a receipt (dont lose it) and when you move out and you have estate agents sign off that home was all ok, you can collect your bond from local post office with ID.

As soon as you know date you can get keys, ring all things like phone & foxtel (like sky tv) Internet to book in to be connected, also take meter readings and ring the gas & elec companies to be connected, some already are but you need to tell them when your moving in and name etc for bills. (gas & elec will usually want a $200 bond off you, they will give you back after a while when they know your payments are good.

Bpay can be done through your online bank account and is really good as you can also opt for online bills instead of through the post and there is no charge as companies prefer this method as do the home rental.

One thing (learnt through experience) have at least 10 photo copies for each home rental application ready as you will need them, and each person over 18 needs to fill out an application for home.

• Passport & visa (make sure you have copies of both )

• Medicare card (walk in and apply straight away and they will give you a paper untill you can be sent permanent card)

• Bank statements from last 3 months

• Wage slips or letter of offer of employment that included salary

• Proof of past rental payments statement

• Australian bank account details & proof of savings

• Birth Certs

If theres anything else you need help with, give us a shout.

Debs :hug:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Hi again, i have been looking on the net at places to stay short term in Melbourne that are reasonable, have found this, its a caravan park 21 klm from Melbourne with public transport outside the door and they do F/F residential lets for 4 weeks!

I didnt know if you would be interested, but have added the link.

Apollo Gardens Tourist Park and Accommodation Village Melbourne

O

Hi Deb

You will still find that short term accommodation is from $135 - $150 per night and that is for 2 people there is an extra charge of $20 per person per night for more and also extra for linen.

They do the long stay residential cabins for stays over 4 weeks but their terms and conditions are quite strict, ie no more than 2 people can be in the cabin, you have to actually be in the country before you book, they want references, ID etc, also kitchen equipment, linen has to be paid on top of the price and also you pay for utilities, so when you total it all up it is probably cheaper staying in a 2 bed house at $500 - $700 per week than the camp site

Guest Toorak Trev

That highlights some key points all people on their way over should be wary of:

check pricing in regards

- Cost of extras ie more than 2 people

- Cost of extra items such as linen, broadband, cleaning charges

- Access to the city (some say 15km or 20km but given its location it could as well be 100km for the time it takes to get anywhere) - same could also be said to make sure the location is roughly close to where you intend to take up longer term accomodation.

- Also be wary of staying in town (sorry not wanting to put a dampner on peoples offers) but if you are seeking rural or mornington you would have too question what value of being in town post 2 or 3 days would offer.

- From what I found and talking with others in the office (we have a lot of people who come over for 6 month and 12 month stints). Camping sites get booked out really fast and cost wise work out the same for a hotel in town. (Obviously not 5 star) but close enough.

Given the recent exchange fluctuation my strategy would be to reduce as much as possible my need to bring over sterling. To do this I would be talking through Kate and other short term accomodation providers of seeking longer term tenancy. Concentrate on earning AUD $ and using that for your spending.

DO NOT EXPECT MELBOURNE TO BE CHEAP OR A BACKWATER - if you wanted this go to Spain.

This is the biggest fault new arrivals find - the tv programs quote prices from 10 years ago it would seem. And often the locals (Australians) are bringing to the auction much bigger pockets than cashed up poms (before the exchange rate drop). Earning the same or similar to London salaries many have had the benefit of lucrative tax incentives from years of a liberal govt.

• 2 months later...
Hi Ree

No they are over here now:biggrin:

Congratulations on finding a place :) Welcome to Aus.

Take Care! Hope your enjoying every moment.

Archived