In what way is the lifestyle better?

k8bug79

I am still in the early stages of researching what Australia could offer me and my family. I read so many people who say oh the life style is great, and equally a few ho say it isn't.

Now I lived and worked in London for many years and hated it, when my eldest daughter was born I moved out slightly and then eventually moved back home to Cornwall where I grew up as its is better for the kids. We have had to make quite a lot of sacrifices to do this. I have given up my career as I worked in theatre and there is not much of that down here, my husband has given up all his friends and social life to come here with me, as he is an Essex boy. our lifestyle is laid back and everyone in our village is friendly and the kids get to go to the beach whenever we like and you can leave cars unlocked, front doors open etc. But recently we have been feeling that we work hard and don't see much in return, my husband is working almost 50 hours a week every week and he works split shifts, so finishes late in the evening and then gets very litte sleep before he is up again in the morning. He has been offered pay rises and promotions but the amount of money we would lose in tax and benefits means we are no better off but he would have to work harder.

I work part time and love my job but I know I am lucky. I can't enjoy the time I spend with my kids because everything costs and I must admit the weather recently hasn't helped.

We don't view Australia as a dream land where everything will be miraculously solved, but we with young kids we can't travel and we want to view life from a different perspective, show the kids another way of life. However it occured to me that actually it could be very similar to our life now (just with added heat and spiders!!!)

So I want to know what is it about the Aussie lifestyle that you like and why do you think it is better than the lifestyle in the UK?

Thanks very much

I think you should work on what you have, 50 hrs a week is nothing in Aus' .

Weather might be warmer (not better)but knowing cornwall from diving trips and meeting the people, I would say in terms of friendliness you lot knock the aussies into a cocked hat.:hug:

I love Cornwall, i will miss it so much when I leave. I have spent so much time there over the years, DONT LEAVE unless you feel a strong pull to Oz. Which part do you live in?

Simon.

Cornwall is my home and always will be but I am a traveler at heart, I need to see the world. I live on the Lizard peninsular as far south as you can get :biggrin:

It is very lovely down here and I know that I am truly lucky to live in such a beautiful area but it comes with big sacrifices. I love my kids but I need to work for me and my work just doesn't exist down here. I couldn't bare to go back and live in London. With me not working we barely survive week to week. So we have been looking at places that give us quality of life and the ability to work

It's not so much that we are undecided about going just wondered what people actually mean when they say it'll be a better lifestyle:unsure:

Guest KerryCraig

Interesting thread, we are also from Cornwall moved here 5 years ago but the weather as beaten us!! Beautiful and safest part of the Uk, just needs a little less ( well a lot less) rain and a lot more sun shine in the sky and it makes every one happier, we love the Cornish way of life and living by the sea, but also thinking about the kids as they get older, what will they do when they get older? not a lot of work here!!

Where abouts in Cornwall are you?

Kerry

I don't think it's better as such, but more different than life here, I think it all depends what you want in life, some people love it some hate it. We are lucky where we live near machester is a dump we hate it.

Simon.

The weather plays a big part in your lifestyle if you enjoy the beach in the UK you'll love the beaches in Australia

Australian's would rather have a bbq in the backyard with mates than be down the pub, so that means it's a family event rather than a boys night.

You will most likely work harder but the gains are alot better you can make something of yourself if your that way inclined.

You can have free days out with the kids most parks have free bbqs that you can cook your snags on.

I think just knowing you can look forward to your days off makes life more enjoyable.

Sometimes though if you have a great life can it really get much better? Uprooting your family starting again from scatch is a big task for maybe a little gain.

Guest Graham from Oz
Cornwall is my home and always will be but I am a traveler at heart, I need to see the world. I live on the Lizard peninsular as far south as you can get :biggrin:

It is very lovely down here and I know that I am truly lucky to live in such a beautiful area but it comes with big sacrifices. I love my kids but I need to work for me and my work just doesn't exist down here. I couldn't bare to go back and live in London. With me not working we barely survive week to week. So we have been looking at places that give us quality of life and the ability to work

It's not so much that we are undecided about going just wondered what people actually mean when they say it'll be a better lifestyle:unsure:

better lifestyle! for me, not so far to work, better pay each week, more time with the kids, cheaper to take the kids out for the day and better weather to do it, nothing is to far away, im much more happier wich has a knock on effect if im happy my wife is happy and the kids are happy, my wife doesnt have to work, the weather, the beach, the bush, koalas, work hrs not so long, not leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark acctualy get to see my kids and have a meal with them, the weather, BBQ`s, stubby coolers, Happy happy, Joy joy.

Good intresting thread, if you live in a beutiful part of Cornwall and the weather was better you would stay

I think you mean would you stay and if so probably not. I wouldn't go elsewhere in the UK but we have looked at finances in detail in OZ and it looks like we will be better off and if not at frst we can work towards it something we cannot do here. My husband has been offered a substantial payrise but he is refusing it because we would actually be worse off by the time all tax and benefits are taken off. Unless he were to triple his wage we would not see anymore. But for this extra wage he would have to work harder. We are not adverse to hard work and achieving but want to see a result for our efforts

Guest guest30038

most parks have free bbqs that you can cook your snags on.

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee! :biglaugh: Those free electric ones take that long to warm up that you'll be so hungry by the time they've cooked, that you won't mind the taste. If you want a bit of added flavour, just find a bbq that hasn't been cleaned by the previous dirty bogan bugger :biglaugh:

I dont know that it is inherently "better" but it will be different. Some things like working hours - probably going to be much the same, we always worked long hours and it was expected. Add to that only 20 rec leave days a year which is less than UK until you get to 10 years (with the same employer) when you get Long Service Leave.

Work is concentrated in urban areas here probably even more than in UK - that's why places like Sydney and Melbourne are so huge. One of the spinoffs of urbanized life is that there is a sort of nameless facelessness about the place and you dont have the same community feel that you would in rural Cornwall - you probably wouldnt want to be leaving your car unlocked in too many places either!

Travel is similarly difficult - it's a long way to anywhere else even if you can afford it and even within Aus you have to travel long distances to see things that are different from where you are, you dont get the concentrated variety that you get in UK.

The arts community is a small well stocked pond here so if you wanted to get back into your area of work you would need to be in the centre of the bigger cities - just like London with sunshine really.

Guest guest30038
Kernow43 thanks for your message I couldn't respond to it, but it was very helpful.

Yeas, my bad Alistair. Thanks for your earlier message to me also, but I couldn't respond by pm either. I've since had some of those pasties you told me about............lovely mate.

kev

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee! :biglaugh: Those free electric ones take that long to warm up that you'll be so hungry by the time they've cooked, that you won't mind the taste. If you want a bit of added flavour, just find a bbq that hasn't been cleaned by the previous dirty bogan bugger /QUOTE]

Always take lemons with me........ and use 2 bbq's

yes I'm gready but I can be it's my home :shocked:

Guest guest30038

Always take lemons with me........ and use 2 bbq's

well, I was thinking you weren't a bogan when you mentioned the lemons, but then you went and mentioned hogging two bbq's ? :wink::biglaugh:

well, I was thinking you weren't a bogan when you mentioned the lemons, but then you went and mentioned hogging two bbq's ?

hey the lemons are so i can clean the bbq for me!!! as you say it takes so long to cook i'm to hungry to clean it for the next person even if they are waiting!!!! :tongue:

Guest guest30038
hey the lemons are so i can clean the bbq for me!!! as you say it takes so long to cook i'm to hungry to clean it for the next person even if they are waiting!!!! :tongue:

Yeah! Bugger 'em the snotty sods.............you just get your gnashers round them yummy snags :biglaugh:

Guest guest30038

My wife hails from a beautiful converted farmhouse and barn overlooking the sea Nr Millendreath. She also served in the Fleet Air Arm at Helston for 6 yrs. I used to love visiting her family..........visiting Looe and Polperro.......visitng the monkey sanctuary..........fishing from the cliffs..........chopping firewood...........feeding the turkeys and ducks, even cleaning out the couple of pigs, one of which which her father would swap with the local butcher for beef........... and all the other tasks that go to run a smallholding..........my idea of heaven...........until we visited for a month one winter. The first two weeks the drizzle and mist rolled in and I hardly slept for that bloody fog horn at Looe harbour........then it snowed and we were trapped for a week and a half..........amazing how the drifts manage to get themselves into the narrow country lanes!

A great adventure but it taught us that in every location, their are downs as well as ups. It was heaven to me..........being from the north, but my missus couldn't wait to get out of the place..........said she felt stifled by the "village mentality"............her father even knew who was driving past the drive (100 metres long) by the sound of their vehicle and who was having what for dinner as he'd, "seen the philistines in Downderry Spar buying a pre-packed piece of beef"

I dunno? Some may find it horrible that everyone knows everyone elses business, but others seem to see that as a "sense of community"..........a belonging? I still haven't figured out where I stand on it, but I do know that I miss it.

kev

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee! :biglaugh: Those free electric ones take that long to warm up that you'll be so hungry by the time they've cooked, that you won't mind the taste. If you want a bit of added flavour, just find a bbq that hasn't been cleaned by the previous dirty bogan bugger :biglaugh:

Hilarious Kev, that happened to me a few weeks ago, on the beachfront at Mornington outside Melbourne, there's an electric BBQ there which you just about have to camp out for the night to heat it up, stupid **** of a thing! No, don't come to Australia for the free electric BBQ's !

Re: lifestyle. I think you can make lifestyle wherever you go. Lifestyle for me means:

not overcommiting myself, so that I am not locked in to working 50-60hrs a week.

spending time with the people that matter : good, true and proven friends (not whingers/hangers on etc).

not worrying about the weather - it's very changeable here, can be hot one minute, cooler the next. I just get on with life, and don't let the weather stop me from doing most things, I didn't in the UK and I don't let it bug me here.

be more spontaneous - life can be a rut when you're diary is full to the brim. I just won't do it, put some things off and give yourself a break: sleep in, read a book, have a spa, have some great sex.

These are simple things, and we can all do them, whether in UK or Australia or any other place on the planet. I think sometimes, and it has been said before on this forum - the grass is not always greener, but in all places your life generally can be 'greener' though if you work at it. I do like my lifestyle here, it's just different than what I had in the UK, and if you have the travel bug, are interested to come and live in another country for a while (rent your house out, come over for 6-12 months, don't come with preconceived ideas) then you might have a fantastic life adventure, nothing lost.

Archived