Melbourne to Adelaide - via the Great Ocean road

Guest Fulwood

Guest Fulwood

We arrive (finally!) in Oz on Thursday night and have Friday planned to explore Melbourne. Saturday morning we collect our hire car and set off up the GOR and plan to arrive in Adelaide on Monday afternoon/evening.

I know this isn't very long to do this trip but it was all the time we could afford. I'm planning to spend the first night at Port Campbell/Princetown area and then the second night around Mount Gambier.

Any tips on places to stay or things to see along the way greatfully recieved!

Many thanks

Mike & Lynda

When you get to Mt Gambier travel up the A66 to Kieth (don't go to Kieth though) You will find 20 to 30 different wineries all next door to each other (I think the A66 starts at the roundabout where the Mc Donalds is) these wineries are only about 10 to 15 minutes away.

Mt Gambier has a blue lake worth a look.

Also if its a monday or tuesday night there is a pub on the B1 near a strip of shops opp the Kenworth and Ford dealers also has a drive though bottleshop out the front. That do a mean schnitzel for a great price (promise you wont walk out hungry)

From the mount to Millicent the land is owned by Kimberley Clark (toilet rolls) so you will find loads of logging trucks and de forestation but they have just up graded the road so you will be fine (watch out for roo's you will see loads of dead ones on the side of the road.

Kingston has the big prawn if your interested into that thing.

From Kingston to Meningie is a nice drive along the coast and I would have to say has the best primary school to teach at! Why? Only the road stops it from being built on the sand The town is well worth a walk around.

From Meningie to Tailem Bend is different get the camera ready (you'll understand when you do the drive)

Once on the A1 the last good photo op is at Murry Bridge Loads of house boats moored. (there is a paking bay)

From then on its a straight run into Adelaide.

If there is anything else you need to ask fire away.

Guest Fulwood

Thanks Tracy - we are currently part way though the route and staying in Port Campbell.

We are looking forward to lookin at some of the places you highlighted in your above post.

Many thanks

Thanks Tracy - we are currently part way though the route and staying in Port Campbell.

We are looking forward to lookin at some of the places you highlighted in your above post.

Many thanks

No worries travelled that road 1 to 3 times a week for 3 months in a b double for Scotts (picking up toilet paper/nappies for kimberley clark out of Millicent).

Go for drive on dusk and park where the trees meet the open fields and you should see loads of roos

Archived