Sat Navs

tracy123

Guest DJorgio
Has anyone taken their sat nav to Australia and got a new chip put in it or is it cheaper to buy a one when you arrive?

Or do you find the street directories comprehensive enough?

I took my Tomtom with me but it was on my PDA, easy and *cough* free to update *cough*

But seriously, what device do you have, im using Igo on my pda at the moment, works well, you could update the maps on your device, im gonna go and assume you have a tomtom ?

Steve

Guest JoanneHattersley

Im an old fashioned girl! I like me map! Sat Navs drive me mad! SPecially when you are driving behind someone that is concentrating on that more than the road!

I took my Tomtom with me but it was on my PDA, easy and *cough* free to update *cough*

But seriously, what device do you have, im using Igo on my pda at the moment, works well, you could update the maps on your device, im gonna go and assume you have a tomtom ?

Steve

We have a tomtom so your assumptions are correct.

Well, much as I love real maps, a satnav has it's uses too

Sort of a reverse answer to what was asked, but....

I have a Tomtom OneXL that I purchased here in Australia but, for various trips, I've also loaded mapping for the UK and for Western Canada. It works well and downloading the extra maps was certainly cheaper than buying a new satnav.

The OP mentions buying new chips--on my unit I just hook the satnav to my PC and download what I need. If you genuinely have to install a new chip I don't know if that's still cheaper.

Bob

Guest DJorgio
We have a tomtom so your assumptions are correct.

Personally I felt much more confident driving around and finding places when i first arrived here with my Sat Nav and it was a great help when i began travelling interstate.

You can more than likley get an Aussie map put on it by a computer whizz kid back home for a drink or yes get a new SD card with the latest Aussie map that your device can take.

PM me if you want help with the former lol

Well, much as I love real maps, a satnav has it's uses too

Sort of a reverse answer to what was asked, but....

I have a Tomtom OneXL that I purchased here in Australia but, for various trips, I've also loaded mapping for the UK and for Western Canada. It works well and downloading the extra maps was certainly cheaper than buying a new satnav.

The OP mentions buying new chips--on my unit I just hook the satnav to my PC and download what I need. If you genuinely have to install a new chip I don't know if that's still cheaper.

Bob

Tell you the truth Bob I don't know much about them as they are no use to me as a truck driver (trust me low bridges going down streets I shouldn't be going down weak bridges etc) I bought it for Tracy (i think its in her car somewhere LOL)

So is there a cost to down load these maps, does it add to its memory or do you have to wipe off its orginal info, and which web sites do i get the down loads from?

Cheers

Geoffrey

I can understand the low/weak bridge problem! Seems to me the satnav makers are missing a trick not including an option to specify height and weight limits!

Anyway, I can only answer how it works with my particular model but:

My satnav has a built in memory of around 1GB. I can load as much as I want in up to that limit and with my 3 areas (Aus, UK and Western Canada) I'm still using under half the available memory. I know some other units work a bit differently and include options like having a removable SD memory card to store spare maps.

With mine, if I ever need to exceed the onboard memory there's a feature where you can move un-needed maps (and extra voices and things) off line and store them on your computer--when you need them back you can just move something else off and swap what you need in. I can also use the computer to back-up everything stored on the satnav so you can reload you presets etc. if you accidentally lose them.

I bought my extra maps direct from Tomtom (the maker). If you have a different brand you'd probably want to go to the website for that maker. I imagine there are pirated maps out there cheap/free too but I didn't want to mess around with that since I didn't know how trustworthy they would be.

Hope this helps,

Bob

I dont have one and never have had, i thinks its much easier to find your bearings using a map and getting lost a few times! lol

Lots of the family's we have helped have bought them ,most of the time they seem to be fine ,it starts to go wrong in the newer areas as some of the streets aren't even on maps yet so Mr sat nav has no chance,lol.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Well it has to be the sat nav for me. Have you ever tried driving and looking at the Melways (for all those back in the Uk it is probably the same size as the yellow pages and yes I do mean in thickness lol)

We started off with a Garmin, then moved to a tom tom which I wasn't keen on and now we are back to a Garmin. Although we also have the Sygic Software App on the I Phone which I have to say has been a life saver if I forgot to swap the sat nav between cars. I know there isn't an official bracket out yet for the I Phone but we just purchased a universal one which cost $25, the cheapest sat nav we have ever had lol. The software on the I Phone is around $80 (hubby bought it so not sure exactly) but as we both have I Phones we can use this on both of them.

Guest Lollii

Heyy,

We bought a nav man just before coming out here for about £140

and only have the uk map on...To buy an australian map is $199!!!

you can but a navman the same for about $230!!

So depends if you want top of the range....or something to get you around xx

It all depends on what model Tom Tom you have, I own a TT720 which has UK and Euro maps pre-installed and also comes with an SD card slot, so what I did was purchase an Australia map "hacked" from ebay uk for around £20 and just inserted it into the slot (job's a gooden) the map was about a year old and some of Australia's road infastructure has changed since the map was first published but 95% of the time it's always found the destination.

Sack it off and get a map, its much more fun. For us in the North of Perth, everything is essentially about 3 roads anyway with a load of little roads off it, you're flying round in no time!

There still dirt roads in Perth aren't they? :wink:

Sorry should of read, IT is STILL A dirt ROAD in Perth

Archived